Wendell Watson

Help needed

Wendell Watson

I have a 520-HC would not start. It has not spark, I replaced the plugs, coil, condenser, Battery & ignition switch. When I turn the switch on it turns the motor The key does not have to be turned to the start position & I still have no spark? I have tried everything I can think of except changing the Ignition module. I could sure use some ideals!!!!!

• Sad 1

Achto

To start with it sounds like you have wiring issue. The engine should not turn over unless the key is in the start position. If the engine would start with the starter not disengaging you would wreck the starter in a short period of time.

I would pursue the starter issue first before moving on to the ignition issue. The two issues may even be tied together. 

Wendell Watson

Thank you Achto, I have a 9 pin connector ordered to start doing that. Thanks again!!!!

• Like 1

Achto
1 hour ago, Wendell Watson said:

I have a 9 pin connector ordered to start doing that

A place to start on your starter is the small wire that plugs into the starter solenoid, I believe the one on mine is Lt. Blue.  Unplug this wire & the starter should not engage.

This wire should only have power when the key is in the start position. If this checks out correctly then I would suspect that your starter solenoid is stuck closed, if this is the case then you will most likely need a new starter solenoid.

If the wire has power with the key in any other position then you will need to trace it out and find out where it is getting power from.

Is this a new to you tractor or a new issue on an old friend?

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1

lynnmor

You may have installed the wrong ignition switch, even though they might look alike there are different types.

• Like 2

Wendell Watson
3 hours ago, Achto said:

A place to start on your starter is the small wire that plugs into the starter solenoid, I believe the one on mine is Lt. Blue.  Unplug this wire & the starter should not engage.

This wire should only have power when the key is in the start position. If this checks out correctly then I would suspect that your starter solenoid is stuck closed, if this is the case then you will most likely need a new starter solenoid.

If the wire has power with the key in any other position then you will need to trace it out and find out where it is getting power from.

Is this a new to you tractor or a new issue on an old friend?

It is a tractor I've had a few years, went to start it & this is what I have!

• Sad 1

Achto
6 hours ago, Wendell Watson said:

ignition switch

4 hours ago, lynnmor said:

You may have installed the wrong ignition switch, even though they might look alike there are different types.

:text-yeahthat: Good call, I missed that. If the New ignition switch is configured wrong it will throw power to the wrong places. I would install the original switch and see if your starter issue goes away.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

This is the ignition switch required. Click on the picture for more

Garry

Wendell Watson
1 hour ago, gwest_ca said:

This is the ignition switch required. Click on the picture for more

Garry

Thanks Gary, my switch is 111216. Could be the problem!