BHunter

New project for my students

squonk

Nice to see this. It touches almost my entire life in so many ways. I was interested in mechanical things at a young age. We had a :wh: growing up and by 12 I was maintaining it. We had all the shop classes in school. I rebuilt a 170 Ford engine for my 61 Falcon as a senior. Went to a 2 year college for Automotive Technology.

After 25 years in the Auto field I went to work at a local hospital. There I was exposed to every trade there is. I was quite surprised at the level of or lack of expertise outside contractors had when it came to the nuts and bolts of what they were working on. They could install it and do a great job at it but couldn't understand why what they installed wasn't going to work like they or the designer/architect thought. I got into more than 1 "lively" discussion about how there was no way this will work.:) Common sense seemed to be lacking in favor of the latest and greatest. I could talk for a week on this subject alone.

The last 3 years I worked in about 20 schools. My old HS the shops are gone. Computer classes in there now. No school in the area offered industrial arts classes anymore. Mostly robotics was as close as you can get. 1 school did have a wood shop but the teacher was more interested in crafts than anything else. All kinds of equipment were buried into a corner.:(

Thru my job I did try to get an assist. teacher job for Auto Mechanics at our local vocational program. During my interview, The questions were more based on how to handle kids and how to use the "latest teaching technology" than what did I even know about Auto Mechanics. I got to ask the teacher what he taught and it was using a lift safely and how to change tires and that was about it! He says. "you can't teach these kids much!" :(

Edited by squonk
  • Sad 4

953 nut

Much like Mike's story I learned how to work and make a living as a result of vocational education in high school. Without that foundation many of today's students are destone to work at entry level jobs for the rest of their lives if they don't go on to a trade school. 

We are blessed to have a dedicated group of sponsors for the FFA club at our high school. That is the only vocational education available to our students. Plans are being developed for a new high school building and agricultural and vocational education labs are being included because of community support for FFA. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

How can normal parts we see so often look so pleasing to the eye?  Great job, (kids)!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHNJ701

Just curious what happens to the tractor when it's finished?  Sell it, auction, keep it?

• Like 2

Handy Don
On 3/18/2021 at 8:46 AM, squonk said:

He says. "you can't teach these kids much!" :(

Needs repeating back to him with a change of emphasis "you can't teach these kids much!"

I've spent a lot of time with high schoolers over the years. I learned to probe gently to see what got them jazzed to want to find out more. Then it just a matter of framing what they need in the right way. Then get the heck out of the way and hand it over to them.

@BHunter is totally on the right track. For some of his students, they likely have never seen a significant project from start to finish. They haven't seen parts become a whole. They haven't experienced the satisfaction that comes from turning an investment of skills, labor, and knowledge over a period of weeks (instead of minutes) into something with tangible value. A WH refurb is a great vehicle for teaching that!

And along the way, showing that operating a lift safely is just one part of doing the whole job, not an end unto itself.

Keep on, sir.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

SylvanLakeWH

Looking great!!!

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

BHunter
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

How can normal parts we see so often look so pleasing to the eye?  Great job, (kids)!

Fresh paint makes everything pleasing. You really see how well built these machines are after you tear them down and freshen them up. Kids are doing great with it. 

• Like 3

BHunter
1 hour ago, jabelman said:

Just curious what happens to the tractor when it's finished?  Sell it, auction, keep it?

This one belongs to a friend of mine. He plans to sell it at the Big Show this year

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

BHunter
11 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Looking great!!!

:handgestures-thumbupright:

Thanks 

• Like 1

Pullstart
1 minute ago, BHunter said:

This one belongs to a friend of mine. He plans to sell it at the Big Show this year

how does that work financially Bob?  In my auto shop, everything was $5 + supplies.  A valve stem?  $5.  An engine rebuild?  $5.  I imagine that transaction covered liabilities of bringing private property into an establishment operated by unlicensed workers...

• Like 1

BHunter
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

Needs repeating back to him with a change of emphasis "you can't teach these kids much!"

I've spent a lot of time with high schoolers over the years. I learned to probe gently to see what got them jazzed to want to find out more. Then it just a matter of framing what they need in the right way. Then get the heck out of the way and hand it over to them.

@BHunter is totally on the right track. For some of his students, they likely have never seen a significant project from start to finish. They haven't seen parts become a whole. They haven't experienced the satisfaction that comes from turning an investment of skills, labor, and knowledge over a period of weeks (instead of minutes) into something with tangible value. A WH refurb is a great vehicle for teaching that!

And along the way, showing that operating a lift safely is just one part of doing the whole job, not an end unto itself.

Keep on, sir.

Thanks. Well said. You are right on point. 

• Like 1

BHunter
4 minutes ago, pullstart said:

how does that work financially Bob?  In my auto shop, everything was $5 + supplies.  A valve stem?  $5.  An engine rebuild?  $5.  I imagine that transaction covered liabilities of bringing private property into an establishment operated by unlicensed workers...

There is a signed contract and liability form that states the school is not responsible for accidental  damages caused by the students. The owner of the project understands that the students are learning skills on their vehicle , tractor, ... 

The owner supplies the parts and materials . There is also a $25.00 charge for utilities.
It’s a good deal for people in the community if they are willing to take a risk and have faith that the students will do a nice job. 

• Excellent 7

BHunter
On 3/18/2021 at 8:46 AM, squonk said:

Nice to see this. It touches almost my entire life in so many ways. I was interested in mechanical things at a young age. We had a :wh: growing up and by 12 I was maintaining it. We had all the shop classes in school. I rebuilt a 170 Ford engine for my 61 Falcon as a senior. Went to a 2 year college for Automotive Technology.

After 25 years in the Auto field I went to work at a local hospital. There I was exposed to every trade there is. I was quite surprised at the level of or lack of expertise outside contractors had when it came to the nuts and bolts of what they were working on. They could install it and do a great job at it but couldn't understand why what they installed wasn't going to work like they or the designer/architect thought. I got into more than 1 "lively" discussion about how there was no way this will work.:) Common sense seemed to be lacking in favor of the latest and greatest. I could talk for a week on this subject alone.

The last 3 years I worked in about 20 schools. My old HS the shops are gone. Computer classes in there now. No school in the area offered industrial arts classes anymore. Mostly robotics was as close as you can get. 1 school did have a wood shop but the teacher was more interested in crafts than anything else. All kinds of equipment were buried into a corner.:(

Thru my job I did try to get an assist. teacher job for Auto Mechanics at our local vocational program. During my interview, The questions were more based on how to handle kids and how to use the "latest teaching technology" than what did I even know about Auto Mechanics. I got to ask the teacher what he taught and it was using a lift safely and how to change tires and that was about it! He says. "you can't teach these kids much!" :(

That teacher should be fired. They are teachable. It might take more effort and take some new approaches to get them to understand but it is possible. 
I hear the same thing about handling kids and technology from my administration. It’s all they care about. 
I try to make learning fun for the kids and keep showing them something new. They are not quick to jump in and try stuff because this generation is scared to mess up and get laughed at by their peers. I tell them , mistakes are proof that you are trying. Then teach them how to fix the mistakes 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 6

Pullstart
16 minutes ago, BHunter said:

It’s a good deal for people in the community if they are willing to take a risk and have faith that the students will do a nice job

and a perfect way to invest in the future of the nations working hands!  Thanks again for being a positive influence and having the patience to make a difference!

• Like 1
  • Heart 3

squonk

Seems like a lot of these programs at least around here are a waste of resources. Where I worked we had 2 vocational campuses. Carpentry, welding auto body machine shop conservation ect. 1 campus had no roof access. With about 30 ac units on the roof this was a major PITA especially in the winter when heat wasn't working. Our only ways we had to get on the roof was a 30ft extension ladder or a basket in a quite often broken forklift. We asked the carpentry shop to build stairs on the outside of the building. Plenty of room to do it. They said "we can't have then do that!" :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

BHunter
8 minutes ago, pullstart said:

and a perfect way to invest in the future of the nations working hands!  Thanks again for being a positive influence and having the patience to make a difference!

Don’t need to thank me. I enjoy it. 
you are playing a role in teaching tomorrow’s workers too. I play your YouTube videos in class. The kids learn a lot from you, you explain what you are doing in great detail. Keep up the good work! 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
2 hours ago, BHunter said:

this generation is scared to mess up and get laughed at by their peers. I tell them , mistakes are proof that you are trying. Then teach them how to fix the mistakes

Everyone is capable of learning, just need to find the method that works best for them. The lessons that are most memorable are the ones that were learned the hard way, by overcoming adversity.

If Thomas Edison had this fear of failure mindset we would all be sitting around in the dark.

35 Memorable Thomas Edison Quotes

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

Gregor
On 12/10/2019 at 8:34 PM, BHunter said:

. I really enjoy passing my knowledge down to the kids.

We use to have regional seminars on the machines I had. I was one of the instructors. I NEVER learned more about those machines, than when I was teaching.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

BHunter
24 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Everyone is capable of learning, just need to find the method that works best for them. The lessons that are most memorable are the ones that were learned the hard way, by overcoming adversity.

If Thomas Edison had this fear of failure mindset we would all be sitting around in the dark.

Perfect statement 

• Like 3

8ntruck
32 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

It has been my experience that you always learn more from things that don't work out than things that go well.  I would make sure to point that out to the kids on the robotics team I was mentoring when things didn't go as expected.

• Like 1
  • Heart 3

Handy Don

Easy to see from this thread that forum members are generous with their expertise and careful with their critiques. Reinforces what most of us already knew.

Kudos, everyone.

• Like 3

BHunter
4 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Easy to see from this thread that forum members are generous with their expertise and careful with their critiques. Reinforces what most of us already knew.

Kudos, everyone.

The Redsquare members are very knowledgeable , helpful, respectful and positive . This is a great forum and resource for our hobby. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

Is the engine a class project too Bob?

• Like 1