Sign in to follow this  
Bill D

Custom Kohler Build

Bill D

I have an M10 that burns oil and the rate of 1 quart per hour and a K321 that has a knock.  Since I run mostly 48 inch decks I would like to stick with higher HP engines, and can't justify rebuilding the M10, if its even rebuildable.  Could I use the bearing plate, starter and flywheel from the M10 to build the K321?  I like electronic ignition instead of points.  Thoughts?  Thanks for the input.  Bill   

oldredrider

Short answer: no. Starters are different as is the starter mounting set up.

Bill D

I know the starters are different.  Will the M10 bearing plate bolt to the K321 block, and will the starter support bracket from the M10 bolt to the K321 block?  The M10 bearing plate has both the starter and coil mounts.  Bill

peter lena

why not search out a used magnum engine ? looks like you are between a rock and a hard place, with little frustrating gain. when searching for my magnum ,i saw a number of them in ny state  , just my own opinion , good luck , pete 

Herder

Hey there Bill,

You know where to find a Mag 14 :ph34r: It's here when you need it.  I've never tried to swop items between a K & Mag series so I cant really help, but to me they look very different as far as the bearing plate goes and the one thing that I see is the bearing shims that go behind the plate look different between a K and a Mag.  That leads me to believe that the plates may not interchange.  Granted I am no expert, just a Hillbilly.      

20190113_094939.jpg.7cfe5efb4d7c60e7d53d4137844015b3.jpg

Adam.

• Like 1

Bill D

Adam,

I will probably take that off your hands I the spring.  I am just thinking up ideas for an engine I would like to build in the future for fun.  I don't want the M10 since it's too small to run a 48" deck.  Seems to be the best way to make another engine for a future project.  Bill

• Like 1

Mudrig150

A normal K-series starter will fit into a magnum if you cut the old starter mount off the bearing plate, works perfectly fine. We added a K-series starter to our Magnum 14 because the starter bolts were literally ripped out of the bearing plate (it's also a PIA to remove), and after cutting the starter hole out, the K-series starter bolted right on. Should work in reverse, too.

A magnum bearing would bolt up to a K-series, and you can block off the points hole, but I believe the flywheel tapers are different.

Edited by Mudrig150