Firsttimer

Frankenhorse

Firsttimer

I drug this c - 175 home yesterday, the price was right but what a nightmare, there are wires everywhere, it has been reported with what I believe is a kohlrabi 8 horse but I’m not sure. 

The poor girl has had a rough life. 

The pop added away and his son wented it to go to some one that would appreciate it, it hasn’t ran in two year, from the little I got to mess with it last night it didn’t have spark. Any help in Identifying it in the parts would be a great help  identifying it and the parts would be a great help ,it has the plastic pan on the back which I want to replace with a metal on. 

It has great hubcaps and a good blade. 

73A2D248-E329-44BF-9AD5-1BA496604535.jpeg

83AE3B78-707D-4796-9687-70BEE28C644C.jpeg

CF190A00-7ED8-4F94-B9CE-5B2B7001B895.jpeg

B2220D2D-9B6E-4DBA-9A8E-650349F248AF.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

ebinmaine

Interesting rig for sure.

I'd agree just with pics that's it's likely a Kohler 8.

Starter/Generator puts you most likely pre 1968 or so.

Engine number would help narrow it down more.

Nothing like a good pile of wire spaghetti...

I do like the chrome stack.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

That exhaust is something else indeed...  

• Thanks 1

gwest_ca

Unique oil pan on that one.

K161-28840 brought this up

https://www.partstree.com/models/k161-28840-kohler-k-series-engine-made-for-fleet-air-mfg-7hp-5-2kw/

Preserve the wiring you have now because that looks like a Delco alternator. Somebody knew what they were doing.

If you clean the points it will likely run. Use a point file if you have one or a metal nail file. Then drag clean paper through the contacts to clean them. When not used the contact surfaces will oxidize leaving an invisible coating on them that acts like insulation.

The tractor will be one of these model numbers

1980 model 01-17K801

1981 model 01-17K802

1982 model 01-17K803

1983 model 11-17K801

The ID plate may be below the dash in front of the shifters.

Garry

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
6 hours ago, Firsttimer said:

but what a nightmare,

Was the previous owner a cobbler?  ?          :ychain:     Image result for cobbler shoe cartoon

• Haha 2

Herder

:scratchead: At first glance it appears as if someone cut a tractor in half and stuffed it under the hood of the C-175.  You may have your hands full, good luck and keep us posted.

pfrederi

7 hp Built for Fleet Air Manufacturing

• Like 1

Firsttimer

Sorry guys have been busy  all day and haven’t had a chance to check I didn’t even have a chance to look at the tractor seems like things are so hectic trying to get ready for the cold weather coming I did get a Kohler eight horse extra motor with it and I agree that it looks like they cut the frame it’s a short frame he has made extensions for the hinges on the hood, when I get a chance I’ll take more pictures thanks for all the excellent information, I agree on further inspection it does look like he knew what he was doing with the starter regulator and wiring there’s just so much of it , The po  passed away about six months ago and his son ended up with the tractor and was going to keep it because of sentimental value and then changed his mind. 

Firsttimer
15 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Unique oil pan on that one.

K161-28840 brought this up

https://www.partstree.com/models/k161-28840-kohler-k-series-engine-made-for-fleet-air-mfg-7hp-5-2kw/

Preserve the wiring you have now because that looks like a Delco alternator. Somebody knew what they were doing.

If you clean the points it will likely run. Use a point file if you have one or a metal nail file. Then drag clean paper through the contacts to clean them. When not used the contact surfaces will oxidize leaving an invisible coating on them that acts like insulation.

The tractor will be one of these model numbers

1980 model 01-17K801

1981 model 01-17K802

1982 model 01-17K803

1983 model 11-17K801

The ID plate may be below the dash in front of the shifters.

Garry

Good eye On the oil pan gwest_ca !

• Like 1

Firsttimer

Ok here’s a couple more pictures, for the hood stop he has fabricated number 9 wire and tied a piece of thin rope to it and if you look beyond the Rope you see a small piece of rope that is connected to the choke cable and then connects to the choke linkage. The second  is of the hood hinges that he fabricated and mounted to the top of the attach O-Matic, It’s definitely a interesting piece of work, sorry guys for some reason it’s not allowing me to upload any photos at this time

Firsttimer

9DBAAC0E-BB3C-4D3F-AAE6-8D4C2EE139A1.jpeg

8576731A-F0D7-4ECB-B73C-1BB6B54CA992.jpeg

• Confused 1

Firsttimer

7CB9F001-A5E9-422F-9A2D-B6946DAB2906.jpeg

• Confused 2

Firsttimer

Had a minute to look under the dash and sure enough there was the ID tag. 

0F688AD3-3254-4398-988D-6F0967361E9F.jpeg

• Sad 1

WHX??

Don't mean to offend  you here 'timer just being honest. That looks like a parts tractor to me unless you really like a project. We've all seen a lot worse here and we have seen them turned into silk purses but that one gives labor of love a whole new meaning.  On the upside I do see things that could revive another. 

• Like 3

953 nut

So it started life as a 1981 C-175 8 Speed.

• Like 1

Lee1977

I believe the tractor is a short frame with long frame sheet metal.  The sheet metal may be C-175.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 1

Firsttimer

I basically got it with the  blade and the hubcaps,  I bought it basically from a friend whose father had passed away, the po Used it to push snow Last winter, I wouldn’t mind re-powering it and clean it up and using it as a custom modified wheelhorse. 

Just to be fair and show the previous owners ability that he had this is a 32 Chevy 1 ton truck that he modified and mounted on to a 90 Dodge 1 ton frame and then mounted a gravity fed old wagon onto it for the box 

140412E8-74D8-47B1-94DD-6A05B42607E5.jpeg

C3CF60A0-80C8-4E98-B18E-62D6828BEF7B.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 3

Firsttimer

This was his daily driver

• Excellent 2

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Firsttimer said:

I basically got it with the  blade and the hubcaps,  I bought it basically from a friend whose father had passed away, the po Used it to push snow Last winter, I wouldn’t mind re-powering it and clean it up and using it as a custom modified wheelhorse. 

Just to be fair and show the previous owners ability that he had this is a 32 Chevy 1 ton truck that he modified and mounted on to a 90 Dodge 1 ton frame and then mounted a gravity fed old wagon onto it for the box 

140412E8-74D8-47B1-94DD-6A05B42607E5.jpeg

C3CF60A0-80C8-4E98-B18E-62D6828BEF7B.jpeg

Awesome.

• Excellent 1

gwest_ca

That VIN plate is interesting. I'm not sure it is a 1981 model but that is what the 01-17K802 is. The serial and build date look like 1980.

Click on the picture

Garry

Firsttimer

So after chasing wires, figuring out the electric fuel pump then pulling a few hairs out, I finally got this poor old horse to start yesterday, it about deafened me !

oh ya did I Mention it was 60° In Iowa today !!

Merry Christmas to all !!

Edited by Firsttimer
Spell check
  • Like 3