Mocrazy1

520h starting problem

Mocrazy1

Hi Gents. I purchased a 1993 520h. Cleaning it up, and fixing various problems. Didn't move, welded both sides of frame for idler pulley, cross shaft. Got it moving and working. All good,on that front. I'm having to move the pto lever, into different positions, to get the Onan to turn over. It will start, and run well, after some manipulation of the lever. Is the safety switch normally open or closed? I cleaned a lot of the wiring, including engine ground. The main pin connector, whether it be 9 or whatever, I didn't mess with, because of it's location. Buried under and in front of the battery. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks ahead of time. I attached a pic of the left side, where the shaft had wollered out the frame. 970 hours on tractor. 

IMG_20191101_183842589.jpg

gwest_ca

It is the light blue wire at the pto switch that gets powered in the start mode with the pto OFF.

Click on the picture for more info on the wiring.

You may have wear in the pto linkage that is affecting the pto switch engagement.

Parts list shows 4 of these switches on this model.

Click on the picture

Garry

• Like 1

lynnmor

That 9 pin connector should be moved up to be approximately level with the battery top.  Do a bit of organizing using wire ties on the cross piece in front of the battery.  Now that the wires are in the correct location, inspect the 9 pin connector for signs of overheating and then repair, replace or bypass as required.  Some bypass or add an additional wire, with a 30 amp fuse, for the charge line to take the heat off that pin, see the very first 520H schematics for adding a wire.  Not saying that is your current problem, but a bit of housekeeping makes things easier.

Mocrazy1

Ok. Thanks for the input.  Someone has already bypassed the 30 amp fuse, at the fuse block, with an inline fuse. The rest of the wiring looks unmolested. I had to park the old girl in unheated space, so my trouble shooting for the winter will be sporadic. All the gauges seem to be working. My headlights aren't working, it's only charging at 12 volts, 14 volts intermittently. But I am getting 31 ac volts on the outside terminals at the voltage regulator. She'll only be a project/backup tractor, but I like it. Came with small (maybe 38") deck, plow and tire chains for less than $100. She was going to be scrapped. I guess too costly to repair, at 25 plus years old.

IMG_20191109_114811772.jpg