KrazeyOlDave

310-8 Drive Belt Shredded - UPDATED

KrazeyOlDave

I just compared it to the belt I took off, it’s much shorter. Which now makes me realize that I had very little clutch movement. I also did not confirm the belt number on the package when I got it, I just assumed. Fellas, I’m pretty sure it’s just a oopsy on the belt size.

—————————————————-

I was toying around the yard and after about 10 minutes, my clutch stopped working. I’ve went over the install a few times and before I took off the covers, I looked too see if anything was hitting but nothing. Has anyone ever had this issue? I’m starting to think I got the wrong belt. I really don’t like how the idler pulley belt stay gets so close to that other piece you see in the pic.

7D37221C-C5D6-4009-95F3-8C492630557F.jpeg

30F35AE4-2D24-4228-8495-AFD6DC967228.jpeg

D1CC7EDD-1230-4EA0-9EBC-8A4AB6397E33.jpeg

33DB1932-A5B6-4598-8BE0-C1D428CA4F01.jpeg

97BBFB65-74D2-4C8F-8568-BB5E95A2F11F.png

Edited by KrazeyOlDave

KrazeyOlDave

So the seller has it listed wrong?

B5FFD5DF-4C43-471D-84F4-17C20BFF5CE4.jpeg

2306B523-FA60-4B75-A821-8D0AFCB10968.jpeg

tom2p

can still find the molded / wrapped Wheel Horse OEM drive belts with the off-white cover and stamped numbers (stamped instead of printed)

very durable and can provide years of service 

• Like 1

tom2p

has this tractor been used recently before the belt install ?

are the pulleys in good shape ?

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

I recently have had troubles with their belts  from this brand .  Somewhere in Iowa I think is where they came from. I ended up sending it back because it was 

too tight.  It was supposed to be an 82 inch belt but I could not get it to fit. I ended up sending it back to the seller which costed me money. And went with an OEM belt. 

KrazeyOlDave
21 minutes ago, tom2p said:

has this tractor been used recently before the belt install ?

are the pulleys in good shape ?

Yes sir, all are in excellent condition. I actually just got done going over all 3, no burrs, nothing.

wallfish

Something is shredding the belt on the inside. It's definitely not that belt stop on the idler pulley but check that metal piece it pinches to for any burrs or anomalies. If the belt guard has tabs and a channel for the belt to ride in, look for the shiny spots which would indicate the belt is rubbing there. OEM or after market belt, if it's rubbing on something sharp, it will shred.

How long has this belt been on?

Edited by wallfish

tom2p
20 minutes ago, KrazeyOlDave said:

Yes sir, all are in excellent condition. I actually just got done going over all 3, no burrs, nothing.

just wanted to make sure

want to make sure it was not a bad pulley ... or whatever ... shredding the belt 

would not want to see the next belt destroyed (and especially an OEM belt)

Edited by tom2p

daveoman1966

GUESSING HERE...  Could the material fraying be caused by the engine pulley dragging slightly on the belt when in NEUTRAL (or between gears).  If the belt guard isn't on correctly, the belt will not completely release from the engine pulley...causing it to drag.   On the backside of the belt guard is a guide that 'catches' the belt to stop if from sagging too much so that it is held COMPLETELY out of the Engine 'V' pulley when in neutral. 

The back side of the belt should be above this guide.     

KrazeyOlDave
3 minutes ago, daveoman1966 said:

GUESSING HERE...  Could the material fraying be caused by the engine pulley dragging slightly on the belt when in NEUTRAL (or between gears).  If the belt guard isn't on correctly, the belt will not completely release from the engine pulley...causing it to drag.   On the backside of the belt guard is a guide that 'catches' the belt to stop if from sagging too much so that it is held COMPLETELY out of the Engine 'V' pulley when in neutral. 

The back side of the belt should be above this guide.     

Correct, I’m good there.

KrazeyOlDave
26 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Something is shredding the belt on the inside. It's definitely not that belt stop on the idler pulley but check that metal piece it pinches to for any burrs or anomalies. If the belt guard has tabs and a channel for the belt to ride in, look for the shiny spots which would indicate the belt is rubbing there. OEM or after market belt, if it's rubbing on something sharp, it will shred.

How long has this belt been on?

It’s been on for about 10 minutes. I think I found the problem tho...it’s substantially shorter than the one I took off. I don’t think it’s 82”.

tom2p

well ... if it's less than 81.95" that could be the problemo

gwest_ca

Both of the D&D screen shots above should be the same 7473 belt but one is $5 less.

The original Toro parts lists may be shared with the hydro transmission model which uses a 108501 belt - 5/8" x 81.5"

That may be where the mistake is but hard to believe that little difference would cause the problem.

Aftermarket belts only come in even inch sizes so many of us should have problems with belt lengths and don't.

If you go to Gates they replace both the 7473 and 108501 with their 6982 - 5/8" x 82"

If the clutch pedal was held down when the belt guard was put back on the belt likely ended up outside the guard. It has to be inside the guard.

Garry

• Excellent 1

Sparky
13 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

If the clutch pedal was held down when the belt guard was put back on the belt likely ended up outside the guard. It has to be inside the guard.

I agree. I brought home a tractor once where the belt was on the outside of the lower part of the belt guard. I’ve also seen where the lower part of the belt guard is bent “up”, possibly from running over something, and was rubbing on the belt. 

peter lena

i agree with , too small a belt , the lower belt drive fraying , varifys  that . i have bought belts from , d/d matching the size numbers  for an exact fit. that belt has to have a lesser tension drive point , that is maintained with the rear pulley tension spring. that allows the belt to "  float " when not engaged .  that 82x 5/8 "  is correct for that drive, pete

The Tuul Crib
13 hours ago, KrazeyOlDave said:

It’s been on for about 10 minutes. I think I found the problem tho...it’s substantially shorter than the one I took off. I don’t think it’s 82”.

That happened to me with the same belt from the same place I had to send it back 

Lee1977

There is nothing wrong with your belt install.

I installed a new 7473 Toro belt back in Oct. I also installed a new clutch spring as the old was broken abd patched back with a piece of wire. I have had as much as twenty years or more from Wheel Horse belts. The fabric cover on the Wheel Horse belts is glued on all the way around, I don't believe the fabric on that belt was glued on all the way around. I have a TSC belt on it to the deck and it looks that the fabric on top isn't glued ,no problem with a deck. It would be a big problem for a drive belt to the transmission.

Here is mty 312-8.

SAM-1064.jpg

Edited by Lee1977

KrazeyOlDave

Got the new belt today, what a difference! 

My new belt

34869BCB-B493-4D68-BCF0-529D07069F04.png

5B5B3F57-081D-4C04-8BB0-7495902C87F0.jpeg

Burnerman

I was just thinking about my drive belt when I was plowing the other day. I’ve beat the snot out of my 78 c101 plowing and mowed a lot in the 15+ yrs of owning it and have had zero belt issues with genuine Wheelhorse branded belts. I put a new one on 10 yrs ago just because I figured it was due. I kept the old belt as a spare as it is in great condition. 
I’ve used a couple of D&D belts and I’m not impressed. I used one for my mower deck and got blue dust all over. The belts are “dry” it seems. The one we used on my sons B85 did the same as yours. There’s no rubbery give in the outer coating of the blue belts I think as compared to the Wheelhorse belts. The clutch pinch stop tears it up. 

• Like 1

Lagersolut

Belts are one of the parts on my tractors that I always buy Toro/ Wheel horse - yes they're pricey,  but for me it's piece of mind on reliability and fit .

• Like 1

KrazeyOlDave
8 hours ago, Lagersolut said:

Belts are one of the parts on my tractors that I always buy Toro/ Wheel horse - yes they're pricey,  but for me it's piece of mind on reliability and fit .

Where is a good place to buy OEM belts? Nothing local in my area.

Lagersolut
30 minutes ago, KrazeyOlDave said:

Where is a good place to buy OEM belts? Nothing local in my area.

If you know your part numbers,  e bay.  One of my preferable vendors there is killian3790 , what I understand he was an old Wheel Horse tractor dealer . I've bought a ton of parts off him even quite a few NOS discontinued parts. Top notch to deal with ships instantly .

Edited by Lagersolut