The Tuul Crib

16 horse won't start again

The Tuul Crib

So I've got this 16 horse setting on lRV

And Saturday finally got everything hooked up with some gas in it and it started right up after a few cranks  of course.  The motor sounded good at first but I did detect a little tappet noise and didn't give it much thought. So went ahead and adjusted the governor and hooked up the linkage get it already to go and Sunday morning went to crank it and it turned over and shot gas out 

the carb .  Now it acts like there is too much compression with the plug in it And can't get it to crank over. So I went back and checked the valve adjustments and reset them correctly  with only the same thing . Any ldeas?

coldbear

Haven't got it hydro- locked have you? Take the plug out and crank it over for a few seconds. If it's locked up , most the time it's too much fuel in the cylinder .

• Like 4

The Tuul Crib
9 minutes ago, coldbear said:

Haven't got it hydro- locked have you? Take the plug out and crank it over for a few seconds. If it's locked up , most the time it's too much fuel in the cylinder .

No hydro on this one.  There has been some battery discussion amongst some others I have talked to and I may not have paid attention to the CCA on the battery. 

I went through the engine lapped the valves replaced the rings. It may be a little tight. I just went back and checked the valve adjustments and they are correct. I did look at the battery and it said 150 CCA.

ZXT
2 hours ago, The Tool Crib said:

No hydro on this one.  There has been some battery discussion amongst some others I have talked to and I may not have paid attention to the CCA on the battery. 

I went through the engine lapped the valves replaced the rings. It may be a little tight. I just went back and checked the valve adjustments and they are correct. I did look at the battery and it said 150 CCA.

The K341 on my CC 1650 also cranks stupidly hard. From what I've been told, there is a tab that can break off of the cam that will cause the ACR not to function, and there is also a spring in there that can get weak and cause the same symptom. 

I can only get it started with an extremely hot battery and jumper cables to another battery. 

You may have the same issue. What CCA is your battery?

Achto

No hydro on this one.

@coldbear was referring to having too much fuel in the cylinder, this will cause the engine to turn over hard.

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib
10 minutes ago, ZXT said:

The K341 on my CC 1650 also cranks stupidly hard. From what I've been told, there is a tab that can break off of the cam that will cause the ACR not to function, and there is also a spring in there that can get weak and cause the same symptom. 

I can only get it started with an extremely hot battery and jumper cables to another battery. 

You may have the same issue. What CCA is your battery?

The battery is at 150 CCA  i'm going back to AutoZone and get one with at least 350 

I guess I wasn't paying attention the day I picked it up the price was good but the 

battery enough git up and go. I just think there's lots of compression here since I put new rings in it and it was bored 20 over .  If the battery doesn't do it then I may have to tear the motor back down and see what's going on with the camshaft 

Definitely a set back 

• Like 1

ZXT
1 minute ago, The Tool Crib said:

The battery is at 150 CCA  i'm going back to AutoZone and get one with at least 350 

I guess I wasn't paying attention the day I picked it up the price was good but the 

battery enough git up and go. I just think there's lots of compression here since I put new rings in it and it was bored 20 over .  If the battery doesn't do it then I may have to tear the motor back down and see what's going on with the camshaft 

Definitely a set back 

Hopefully not too much of a set back. I put a 150CCA battery on my dad's C-141 and it cranked it over about 10 revolutions before it gave out. The battery is probably your issue. It's definitely worth the extra $20 for the big battery. 

My C-120 has an Exide car-style battery on it. I think it's around 550 CCA. It is excellent and fits the battery tray perfect. It was on the tractor when I got it and I hope it lasts a long time. It'll cost a bit more than a mower battery when it comes time to replace.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

In standard troubleshooting, the first thing I’d ask a water heater customer is “what did you last do to it”?  

Well.....  what did you do to it?  :teasing-poke:

• Haha 5

WildmanC120

Check your timing too.  My c-160 is a hard cranker. It would also kick back when starting. I adjusted the points gap to .18-.19 and it made a huge difference. 

• Like 2

oldredrider

16hp Kohlers need a LOT of amps at the starter turn over a fresh rebuild. 150 cca ain't gonna cut it! Hopefully, that's the problem and not in the acr.

• Like 3

tom2p

agree - regardless (of other potential issues) 

150 CCA not sufficient ; certainly not for a 16HP garden tractor 

my Diehard is 340 CCA 

Duracell 350 CCA 

( 550 CCA can be common in a car battery )

Edited by tom2p

wfrpalm

Did you check if there is gas in the cylinder yet? Hydro lock sounds likely if gas is flowing out of the carb.

The Tuul Crib
8 hours ago, pullstart said:

In standard troubleshooting, the first thing I’d ask a water heater customer is “what did you last do to it”?  

Well.....  what did you do to it?  :teasing-poke:

She needs more powa captain !

lm not givin er enuf!! 

:ROTF:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Achto

She needs more powa captain !

lm not givin er enuf!! 

Try firing a phaser into the Dilithium crystals to recharge them. :ROTF:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

AMC RULES

:rolleyes:

Image result for beam me up scotty

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Tuul Crib

Damit Jim lm a doctor not a captain!

• Haha 1

Achto

I may not be a Captain but I'm well acquainted with one. :lol:

CM.jpg.4c53ca3bce69c1e2245a423e97c943bd.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The Tuul Crib

Well I thought about starting a new thread for this one but I figured the heading was fine because now it's the end exclamation!

Well at least for now. I had a catastrophic event yesterday with the motor running. Sounded good for the longest time then all of a sudden I heard a big clunk followed by slow slow turning of the fly wheel. I knew right away what had happened! But lo and behold I do believe the block  is OK 

Pictures are worth 1000 words !

Or should I say 1000 pieces !

DD89730C-0A6C-4795-A2E4-589AAF86AADB.jpeg

51C77FA8-F97E-4A0C-BB44-78D2524712E1.jpeg

Edited by The Tool Crib
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

tom2p

oh my 

not good 

• Like 1

WildmanC120
52 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

Well I thought about starting a new thread for this one but I figured the heading was fine because now it's the end exclamation!

Well at least for now. I had a catastrophic event yesterday with the motor running. Sounded good for the longest time then all of a sudden I heard a big clunk followed by slow slow turning of the fly wheel. I knew right away what had happened! But lo and behold I do believe the block  is OK 

Pictures are worth 1000 words !

Or should I say 1000 pieces !

DD89730C-0A6C-4795-A2E4-589AAF86AADB.jpeg

51C77FA8-F97E-4A0C-BB44-78D2524712E1.jpeg

Oh man that's awful. How the heck did it happen??? 

Razorback

Ouch!!!

The Tuul Crib

Not really sure I was told maybe the rod Was on backwards or in proper torque on the rod cap. Oil starvation. I did put the 

crank on the lathe and cleaned it up . 

Probably have to put a mic on it to see If it is still within spec.

24C1F7F3-BC4C-4F1A-9D84-05A67B25EB27.jpeg

• Like 2

richmondred01

At minimum that will need to be polished. Most likely turned. 
hole in rod cap faces the cam. 
How does the cylinder apron look.

Many times when the rod breaks like that it cracks or chips the apron. 

Edited by richmondred01
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Tuul Crib

At a glance l havent found any damage. 

I might have gotten lucky on this one . 

I think the  ghost of lRV is with me 

for sure!:notworthy:

• Like 1

Elliot Garfinkel

Sorry to hear and see that,I guess you will start to rebuild.Is this something you  use as a worker or do you have time on this.I hope their is no further damage

• Like 1