12Horse Paladin

Hoping I Didnt Just Buy Someone Else's Headache. Questionable Keyway Repair

12Horse Paladin

Morning all.

Well, i said i was new at this...look at the pics.

Honestly, i first noticed something may be off yesterday, after removing the tire chains. My Dad, when he saw the pics, explained it well enough that i get why they did what they did...but what say you?

To me, it sets a lil' off when i look at it (but that could also be due to my lack of picture taking ability; sorry), now that i know it is there; one wheel seems to have a little side to side play. But...that could just be how i see it; being new at this.

So what do you think?

Thoughts/ideas/observations/advice?

20191123_092430.jpg

20191123_092437.jpg

20191123_092457.jpg

20191123_092455.jpg

Edited by 12Horse Paladin

953 nut

Call Lincoln at A-Z   https://a-ztractor.com/, he can fix you up with an axle and a hub        or a complete transaxle assembly.

12Horse Paladin
9 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Call Lincoln at A-Z   https://a-ztractor.com/, he can fix you up with an axle and a hub        or a complete transaxle assembly.

That is something, that you mention him...ive bought a tail light from him already, n was possibly going to call monday about a possible replacement electric clutch...

Thankyou for the lead, if it comes to that.😊

pfrederi

Jack it up the try pushing the wheel up and down and front to back There should be no wiggle.  Pulling it out and pushing it in there will be some movement about 1/8"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

If you are talking about your horse leaning to port...check the air in your tires.  You should be able to level it out with air...probably what is wrong.  Does look like the guy before you had some hub issues.   Try the air first and then pull the wheels and hubs.  :occasion-xmas:

Achto
6 hours ago, 12Horse Paladin said:

20191123_092437.jpg

Kinda hard to tell from the pic's. So did they add extra lock bolts or did they use a through bolt on the hub? If they just added an extra lock bolt, this is just a good up grade. If they did a trough bolt, well not the best fix but it will work. If the hubs do not have any play on the axle then I would step over this issue for now.

Pullstart

I may catch guff for this, but that’s how I attached the David Bradley hubs to Frank’s axles, just a 3/8” through bolt.  So far, I’ve had no ill effects.

The post in this link briefly shows the bolts through the hub.

through

• Like 2

Stormin

Doesn't look like a through bolt to me. As to it sitting a bit off, my first thought was the needle roller bearings past their sell by date.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Norm, that is a lot of list just for needle bearings.  If the race is toast, it would be 1/8".  Could be both, that is why pull the hubs.  :occasion-xmas:

Stormin

I had a Westwood once, that the P.O. had run with the bearings shot. Axle had worn the housing away. Trans was toast.

ZXT
10 hours ago, pullstart said:

I may catch guff for this, but that’s how I attached the David Bradley hubs to Frank’s axles, just a 3/8” through bolt.  

I've considered doing the same on my C120 and C160. Both tractors have keyways that are in less than optimal shape. A through bolt is what they should've used from the factory. I'm not sure why they used the lightest duty setup known to man. 

• Thanks 1

ET160

The two bolts are normal for later hubs.  I see a height difference, but I don't see a problem with the hubs.  I agree with checking the end play.

• Like 1

rjg854

I happened to see a Fram oil filter on that hydro unit, you may want to change that to a better suited filter for that transmission. 

NAPA 1410

:twocents-twocents:

• Like 3

rjg854

I would question if the tires are the same size or not. Are they the same brand.

Edited by rjg854
Add
  • Like 2

12Horse Paladin
4 hours ago, rjg854 said:

I happened to see a Fram oil filter on that hydro unit, you may want to change that to a better suited filter for that transmission. 

NAPA 1410

:twocents-twocents:

Bought that yesterday...😉

• Like 1

12Horse Paladin
4 hours ago, rjg854 said:

I would question if the tires are the same size or not. Are they the same brand.

They are all WheelHorse branded tires, yes. But now i will check the size again to be sure, thanks!