JCM

Battery Cable Source

JCM

Years past when I needed to replace battery cables I would go to the WH Dealer and purchase them, I just checked out Parts Tree and the POS cable is $ 48.67 and the NEG cable is $34.13. Do auto parts stores such as NAPA carry the shorter cables and do I need to bring them in or just take measurements. These cables are for a 1991    520-H.  Thanks for any help.

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, JCM said:

bring them in

Yesssaahh.

When they ask what's it for?

Say "new solar car" or something...

I've made up a couple here Jim.

Seem to come out ok.

I keep red and black wire on hand now.

Bring 'em up with the plug wires and we'll have a how-to class.

• Thanks 1

pfrederi

Tractor supply for one has battery cables you have to know your length and the size of the terminal

• Like 2

Digger 66

Yup , just make 'em .

Buy the correct gauge cable & appropriate lugs and crimp away .

• Like 1

peter lena

Walmart has them too, in the battery section near the battery tender section, last  24" i picked up was a couple of bucks, pete

• Thanks 1

squonk
14 hours ago, Digger 66 said:

Yup , just make 'em .

Buy the correct gauge cable & appropriate lugs and crimp away .

Or take your old cables to a shop that rebuilds starters ect. They will have the correct crimper for the lugs. I always go up a size to #4 cable when I get new ones made.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Digger 66
49 minutes ago, squonk said:

Or take your old cables to a shop that rebuilds starters ect.

...even better than my suggestion :tools-wrench:

ZXT
On 11/24/2019 at 6:58 AM, squonk said:

Or take your old cables to a shop that rebuilds starters ect. They will have the correct crimper for the lugs. I always go up a size to #4 cable when I get new ones made.

:text-yeahthat: Plus, starter shops generally use better lugs than you'll find on a parts store cables.

• Like 1

if they are going on a lawn tractor , car, boat, airplane, truck etc  i prefer to just make my own battery cables...that way you get exactly what you need.   i have a crimper , 1-2-4-6 gauge cable , and an assortment of ends. add some heat shrink tubing and you are done faster than driving to an auto parts store

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

gwest_ca

I make my own lug terminals from soft copper tubing.

Polish the inside of the tube before cutting it so it will take solder.

Attach a flaring bar to the end the cable goes into so it holds it's round shape.

Flatten the other end of the tube in a vise and drill a hole for the stud.

Clamp the flaring bar in a vise opened up. Use the same size hole as an anvil to clamp the cable in the terminal with a piece of flat iron and hammer.

Add solder.

Looks factory assembled.

Garry

ebinmaine
15 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

I make my own lug terminals from soft copper tubing.

Polish the inside of the tube before cutting it so it will take solder.

Attach a flaring bar to the end the cable goes into so it holds it's round shape.

Flatten the other end of the tube in a vise and drill a hole for the stud.

Clamp the flaring bar in a vise opened up. Use the same size hole as an anvil to clamp the cable in the terminal with a piece of flat iron and hammer.

Add solder.

Looks factory assembled.

Garry

Garry I'd be very very interested to see a few pictures of that if you would be so kind.

Maybe next time you make up a couple....

That's absolutely something we would do here.

• Like 2

MikMacMike
On 12/1/2019 at 8:42 PM, ebinmaine said:

Garry I'd be very very interested to see a few pictures of that if you would be so kind.

Maybe next time you make up a couple....

That's absolutely something we would do here.

Yupper The best way is to make your own.....I get these from working in the generating plants and the nuclear plants from some of the guys in the electrical trades they work excellent.....and like ebinmaine sais always solder them and wash em good afterwards with backing soda n water...then adding heat shrink. as i install I slap the die electric grease to protect it all too. If you dont have access to these electrical wholesale might sell or if they wont sell to public again just ask a local electrician. But in the end the cheapest way is also like what ebinmaine said, soft copper or even hard copper. with hard copper tube make sure its type k or L its heavier then M which is whats used on residential water lines in your home....when I make struts for light weight purposes I do exactly the same with steel tubing of almost any size like the second pic.348208126_image20191211_1755193501.jpg.69d02f7da136ba3b7b61ee8b52c4fd70.jpg

image20191211_181308836[1].jpg

• Like 2

MikMacMike

The main reason I make them is because as always someone gave me the skill to do so but more so cuz Im just a plain ol cheap fart hahahaha but more then that if you measure twice n cut once you get a perfect lenth cable that is routed out of the way and makes everything nice n neat....not like even some garage mechanics who dont care but the money they charge and when you see how they make there brake lines, electrical wireing look like spagetti work.

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, MikMacMike said:

spagetti

Or a bird's nest.

I do love a good bird's nest.

Wait'll I get into the Ferguson....

There's about a dozen wires hanging out of the back of the dash that go NOwhere...

• Haha 1

pfrederi

McMaster

lud.JPG

• Like 2

MikMacMike
21 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Or a bird's nest.

I do love a good bird's nest.

Wait'll I get into the Ferguson....

There's about a dozen wires hanging out of the back of the dash that go NOwhere...

hahahaha too funny.....i bet he comes back sayin...hey thats for future aditions hehehehe

• Like 1

MikMacMike
19 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

McMaster

lud.JPG

There it is....those make such neat work and they always last far longer then the crimped cables at CrappyTire stores

MikMacMike
19 hours ago, MikMacMike said:

There it is....those make such neat work and they always last far longer then the crimped cables at CrappyTire stores

AS a matter of fact if Im not too pressed for time I'll do a quicky of a couple pics showing, Ill see what ive got for tubing and pipe. I dont want to use my good connectors untill I have all the proper equipment on them so for temporary Ill solder some up.....pfffff the way my time has been so limited though Ill probably just stick with the copper tubing ones....

Jrblanke

I bought mine from battery’s plus bulbs. 

The Tuul Crib

I guess im lucky here at work l can 

make what ever l need. 

• Thanks 1

Tractorhead

:text-yeahthat: