Ol Red

K301 replacement

Ol Red

Hey guys,

I need to to replace my K301 12hp on my C121. The connecting rod is busted so I’m left with either sending the motor to a machine shop or replacing it. I would imagine the machine shop option is probably very expensive but maybe one of you would know better as to an approximate cost if any of you have had experience with going that route. 

As for replacing it I found a k241 10hp on Craig’s list and a horizontal magnum 12 with 1 1/8 crankshaft and a 16hp off a c165. I was wondering if these would fit my c121. I believe the k241 would fit but figured I’d ask you guys that have more experience with these tractors as this one is my first. Thanks.

T

Edited by Ol Red

Stepney

All those engines listed will fit, you'll just need to mount your existing oil pan to them. You have a shallow pan, all those listed are deep pans. Or you could do away with your rubber motor mounts and use the existing pans of the other engines (that would be my advice) (EDIT the C165 is a rubber mount too, disregard that)

That being said. You can always buy another engine with unknown hours or upkeep .. or have a good shop rebuild your original and you'll have another 40+ years of reliable running. 

That said. the Magnum 12 is a smooth runner and the 16hp is a nice upgrade depending if you run a large deck, tiller, or snow removal equipment. 

Rebuilding that engine depends largely on if you want to do some of it yourself or have the shop do it all ..  then you have OEM vs aftermarket parts. An overhaul could range anywhere from 300-1500.00 depending how you want it done. 

Personally if the rig is a keeper and in use, I'd opt for the rebuild. 

Edited by Stepney

roadapples

Check classifieds. We have a few members selling rebuilt engines...

JoeM

Might have hood issues with the magnum if you want to use the magnums muffler. The hood will need raised about an inch in the front for clearance. I put one on a C120 and that was the only issue.

That C165 might be the best bet, should go right in place. Just measure it before you buy.

Ol Red

Thanks for all the responses guys. I’m going to contact a couple local machine shops and get an estimate on a rebuild. Depending on how that’s looking I may look to get the 16hp and upgrade. I’ll let you guys know how I make out. Thanks again! 

• Like 1

JoeM

hey red some pics from the old worker C120, the last pic shows the pieces of metal I fabricated to raise the hood.

655234159_C120hoodovermuffler1.jpg.2e305c016929d04de7ffb59187f3e19b.jpg213909554_C120hoodoverfanshroud1.jpg.2ebb61fdec56b642d69374790ae03223.jpg1674120295_C120hoodmountextension1.jpg.5459cc2bced808e2a861a2e79328ebdd.jpg

• Excellent 1