BrianX128

Kt17 flywheel magnets

BrianX128

Where is a good source to get magnets for the flywheel? I'm in the middle of revamping my charging system and I replaced my stator and regulator but all my magnets were loose on the flywheel and one was broken in half and missing the other half.

If magnets are hard to find I found a flywheel from a kt17 from a c175, but it's a series 1 engine and I've read online the taper of the flywheel is different and that flywheel wouldn't fit my engine.

pfrederi

Part numbers for series I and Series II flywheels are different so they are probably not interchangeable.  There are no part munbers for magnets they do not seem to be available separately.   Looks like you have to find a series 2 wheel.  Check the engine spec numbers of yours and the donor. There are 4 different flywheel on Series II.

fly1.JPG

fly2.JPG

BrianX128

So mine says 52 300 03 on the flywheel itself.

20191115_161805.jpg.cf2775a86f89a031378eaad1dd3445c5.jpg

I wire wheeled the flywheel off but forgot to take a picture after but I've found magnets for sale on Ebay that measure the same width and depth and are for some form of kohler engines so since I only have one that was damaged I was hoping I could just get 1 to replace that 1 and jb weld them all back to the flywheel. I haven't been able to find that flywheel part number itself online anywhere.

pfrederi

I would imagine after looking at a couple of different kohler flywheels the magnets all look the same... so go for it.

EDIT:  as to your flywheel number I would bet that is the casting number of the base flywheel before they put in magnets and a ring gear

Edited by pfrederi

midpack

I put a different flywheel (pretty sure it's a series 1) on my series 2 KT17. Could even be a K341 to be honest.

Works ok so far

• Like 1

BrianX128

Cool, I found a really clean series 1 flywheel on ebay for 50$ with the magnets still in tact so hopefully I'm back up and running this week whenever it gets here.

BrianX128

Well I got the series 1 flywheel today, doesn't fit. The hole isn't big enough to slide onto the shaft far enough. Not even close really. My friend at work got me my old K341 flywheel back, and it has the same hole in the center but different sized magnets that look like they'd be too far from the stator, and the back side of the flywheel has a giant lip that makes it impossible to slide on far enough for the starter to engage and it rubs the cooling fins anyways.

So I melted the glue on the series 1 flywheel and pryed those off, only broke 1 but I only needed one of both types so I have some spares.

I spaced them good after wire wheeling and cleaning things off good on the mating surfaces of the magnets and the flywheel itself, and jb welded them in place. After it set I realized I used the "quik" jb weld instead of the regular which is only good to 300* supposedly. I know the regular version would have been better to use, but it's too late now and I'd like to think that since the exhaust is no where near the magnets and there should be plenty of air moving around that side of the engine from the fan that it won't end up melting and stuff, but at this point who knows.

Then of course 10 minutes later I find the regular jb weld in a different drawer. I guess I'll let it cure until tomorrow and throw everything back together and see what happens.

BrianX128

Unbelievably...

20191121_184107.jpg.8d1a1a8188d1316fc0efa0e9e1275d5d.jpg

Its alive again. Hopefully it stays that way. Drops to 12 volts with the lights on but I got some 9 watt leds to swap out coming from amazon tomorrow so that should help.