BrianX128

KT17 Series 2

BrianX128

I've got a KT17 Series 2 in a 417A that isn't charging, stator is bad and I'm going to replace the regulator just so I know everything is new, I have a flywheel puller but I was wondering what all tricks I may need to know to get the flywheel off. I'm guessing I remove the grass gaurd, maybe the metal directly behind it and then the main nut for the flywheel and use a puller and I'll be where I need to go? Just wondering if there's any special procedure to getting the main nut on the flywheel loose or any tips before I break stuff.

20191111_184929.jpg.f3b27e5e2e9994dcdcf33dfc6051d7cf.jpg

pfrederi

Impact wrench will "usually"  spin the nut off.  If it will not you will need a strap wrench to hold the flywheel do not wedge something between the cooling fins they are brittle.

wrench.JPG

• Like 2

BrianX128

Ok, I have one of those floating around somewhere. I'm not facing any reverse threads like I have on all my old ford's fan threads on the water pump am I? Still lefty loosey?

pacer

Yep, impact is definitely the best bet - and yesey on the leftey.. This is the puller type you'll need. More often than not they can be stubborn to 'pop' off. When youve got a lot of force on it an it still wont turn loose, whack the end of the puller with a hammer - the shock will usually do it.

image.png.6eb74ac159f13b8a265dae8550426a94.png

• Like 2

BrianX128

Ok sounds good, I think that's actually the one I have or close to it. Mine just has a left side with more screws. 

• Like 1

oliver2-44

After you remove the flywheel nut, nut a little grease on the threads and put the nut back on. This will protect the end of the threads from the puller and also keep the flywheel from falling on the floor if it "pops" off with force.

• Like 1

midpack

I have a KT17 series 2 that wasn't charging. turned out to be one of the connectors in the key switch plug.

the metal "U" shape had broken off so it would just barely make contact occasionally. i would think i had it fixed and it was only that i had moved the wire just enough to make contact.

took over a year to finally track it down, including swapping the stator with one I knew worked. at least I got to clear out all the crud that built up behind the flywheel!

BrianX128

I'll try and check that too before I remove everything. Ended up with too much stuff going on tonight finishing some work on one of my trucks. Shouldn't my stator be putting out ac voltage regardless of all the other ignition switch items? I have 12 volts at the middle wire of the regulator just everything else is dead.

troutbum70

Good luck with resolving your charging issue, still that is a very nice looking 417. I have a 417 in the 8 speed which I have owned from new, and a 417 A with no engine and missing some parts because their on the 8 speed. 

BrianX128

Well everything still tested as garbage so I ripped in tonight. Things came apart pretty easy. Flywheel popped off with a good smack of a hammer and the puller, but unfortunately for me my magnets weren't where they are in this picture, they were all sticking to the stator and one of them is chipped and cracked pretty good.

20191115_161805.jpg.1b84d9f23e765492043c3be748eaf310.jpg

The stator looked like junk too. I just replaced it while I was in there. I got the new one on and now I can't remember if it sits flush around the metal base or if it stuck out 1/16 of an inch from the metal your sliding it back on to. 

Anyways, are the magnets for this flywheel supposed to be glued to the medal or are they just held there magnetically and it's supposed to pull stronger to the flywheel than the stator or use centripical force to stay on the flywheel and not get pulled to the stator?

I just don't really know whether to order another flywheel from somewhere online (ebay etc) or if that 1 magnet being broke is a death sentence for this flywheel.. I'm cool with buying another one if it is, I'm learning some as I go and got to clean the inside of the sheet metal out real nice which as you can tell it needed it.

Thanks in advance.

20191115_165827.jpg

pfrederi

Magnets are glued to the fly wheel and have to be spaced and oriented (magnets have poles) correctly. There may be a posting on here about the orientation of the magnet poles.  will have to look .

BrianX128
1 minute ago, pfrederi said:

Magnets are glued to the fly wheel and have to be spaced and oriented (magnets have poles) correctly. There may be a posting on here about the orientation of the magnet poles.  will have to look .

I just found that about the north south north and south north south 

I have 2 of each that are still good, just need one more of each and I could jb weld them back on I believe. 

20191115_185926.jpg.d0ae58c6347a892b1c7125dd35d0c4ed.jpg

pfrederi

JB weld would work.

BrianX128

Now the fun of finding one more of each type. Worst part is I gave an old dead k series 14 horse engine that probably had the right magnets in it and I know he hasn't done anything with it but I don't want to ask for it back to steal the magnets so off to ebay I suppose.