FAST

Snow thrower, chains, extra weight question

FAST

I’m brand new to the snow thrower on the front of a tractor game so I have almost no experience with this. I used my snow thrower for the first time today and it’s really obvious I need tire chains front and back, at least on the back tires for sure, and more weight on the back of the tractor. Any suggestions from you snow throwing professionals out there? Looking for a place to get chains that are good, at a cheap price. and any tips on adding weight to the rear quick and cheap. I don’t have anything obvious like old weights laying around to throw on the ball on the back. So any tips would be great. Cash is low atm but snow doesn’t care about that 😂. I also had the chain break on the thrower at the end of my last pass so I hope all I need is a link to fix that before the next round of snow hits. Thank you for any suggestions. 

nylyon

I just bought a set of 2 link from the ROP shop  for about $60. Check local craigslist for wheel weights many other brands fit, I have a set of Craftsman 55lbs on my 310.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

BOB ELLISON

First off what tractor are you using it on.

Camper antifreeze or windshield wiper fluid. I use camper antifreeze in my rear tires it works great.

Not car antifreeze. 

Chains yes.

There are some great guys here that will help you

• Like 2

FAST

Sorry this is on a c-141 1979 I believe is the year. Thanks so much for the ideas. Good to know other brand wheel weights works

Edited by FAST
  • Like 2

AHS
6 hours ago, FAST said:

Sorry this is on a c-141 1979 I believe is the year. Thanks so much for the ideas. Good to know other brand wheel weights works

Good tractor! Those are my favorite series of tractors... tougher than nails!

• Like 1

953 nut

Liquid filled tires wit RV Antifreeze is the most economical weight you can buy.

SIZE                 GALLONS Per Tire                WEIGHT in POUNDS

• 16x6.50-8               2.0                            21.4
  • 18x7.00-8               3.0                            32.1 
  • 18x8.50-8               3.4                            36.4 
  • 18x9.50-8               4.0                            42.8
  • 23x8.50-12             5.5                            58.9
  • 23x10.50-12           6.8                            72.8
  • 6-12                        3.6                            38.5
  • Like 3

FAST

Thanks guys I never thought of filling the tires. Will that RV antifreeze hurt my rims or tires on the inside? Anything special I should know about to do that?

cafoose

I've been thinking about filling tires with RV antifreeze. How do you get the antifreeze in there?:confusion-shrug:

Pullstart

I used tubes in my tires to fill, that keeps the fluid away from the wheel... however I don’t see how it would hurt the wheel... it doesn’t much have corrosive properties.  It also helps keep it leak free!

After the tube was in, I used a portable air tank and removed the pressure gauge to fill the tank with antifreeze.  I replaced the gauge, pressurized the tank with some air then tipped the tank upside down.  With the tire and wheel at a 45-ish degree angle and the valve stem to the top, the pressurized tank flowed through the valve stem and filled the tube.  The set that I filled (fronts and rears) ended up with virtually no air pressure when all was said and done.  I did have to bleed some air through the process to get as much fluid as possible in there.

• Like 2

peter lena

recently got chains at the rop shop ,https://www.amazon.com/Snow-Chains-ROP-Shop/s?rh=n%3A15706671%2Cp_89%3AThe+ROP+Shop    perfect fit , much heavier than the typical junk , i would also LUBRICATION DETAIL ANY FRICTIONAL POINT ON THAT BLOWER , especially the chain /gear drive inside the auger housing , also adjust the chain play . do not use the blower as a battering ram , take smaller bites of the snow and learn from your effect. the blower should easily spin by hand after lubrication , a teflon spray in the discharge chute , helps . do you have a neighbor that uses a blower ? , get some tips , pete

• Like 1

Herder
1 hour ago, FAST said:

Thanks guys I never thought of filling the tires. Will that RV antifreeze hurt my rims or tires on the inside? Anything special I should know about to do that?

RV antifreeze is good to -50.  I cut it 50/50 with water and pump it in.  Windshield wash has ethanol in it and could effect the rubber.  If you go that way you should tube your tires.  Use regular plié tubes, heavy duty tubes don't expand well and make the install of the valve a bit more difficult. 

• Like 1

FAST

Great tips thanks guys

• Like 1

lynnmor
35 minutes ago, Herder said:

RV antifreeze is good to -50.  I cut it 50/50 with water and pump it in.  Windshield wash has ethanol in it and could effect the rubber.  If you go that way you should tube your tires.  Use regular plié tubes, heavy duty tubes don't expand well and make the install of the valve a bit more difficult. 

If you are concerned about ethanol, know that most of the cheap RV antifreeze now contains the miserable stuff.  I just picked up a case of the good kind with no ethanol at Home Depot but it took them an hour to find the 172 gallons on a top shelf in a overflow area.  People just want cheap even if it is flammable.

• Like 2

Herder
1 hour ago, lynnmor said:

If you are concerned about ethanol, know that most of the cheap RV antifreeze now contains the miserable stuff.  I just picked up a case of the good kind with no ethanol at Home Depot but it took them an hour to find the 172 gallons on a top shelf in a overflow area.  People just want cheap even if it is flammable.

Yes, Tractor Supply sells alcohol base RV antifreeze.  It smells like cheep gin and is probably flammable. :happy-bouncyredfire: It makes me thirsty ever time I load a tire.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

FAST
4 hours ago, 953 nut said:

thanks guys. I have chains coming from Amazon now for front and back tires. Thanks for the help with that. Never bought chains for anything I’ve owned before. Thanks for the tip on ethanol based RV antifreeze as well. I will definitely be going that route for weight as it doesn’t add anything that I have to keep taking off for using this tractor for other thing like a hauling a trailer around the yard. 

• Like 1

Herder
1 hour ago, FAST said:
6 hours ago, 953 nut said:

thanks guys. I have chains coming from Amazon now for front and back tires. Thanks for the help with that. Never bought chains for anything I’ve owned before. Thanks for the tip on ethanol based RV antifreeze as well. I will definitely be going that route for weight as it doesn’t add anything that I have to keep taking off for using this tractor for other thing like a hauling a trailer around the yard. 

The added weight, no matter what direction you go with will improve your traction.