12Horse Paladin

Question(s) of the day: electric/manual clutch

12Horse Paladin

Good Morning Y'all.

Ok, so i dont have the Bronco yet...long boring story...but it looks like WED. itll be here😊

In the meantime, i've been gathering info (thanks all for your help!), getting garage space ready, and making a plan to go thru it/straighten it out. I dont have a heated garage; mostly own hand tools and have only a basic knowledge of these things...and this is also the 1st tractor i've bought on my own n wont have Dad here for help...so i go slow, n learn as i go...you all here are why i am willing to try.

All that said...if the electric clutch is out/going...what is involved/the best route, to go about setting it right? Repair, or replace with a manual? And what is all involved/cost? Is it something i can do, as weather allows, with basic hand tools?

I have been doing as much research as i can, but pics/vids...even books or manuals that might help, would be much appreciated. WheelHorse is the reason i took an intrest at all in wrenching, and i am a novice/noob, except for very basic stuff...

Thanks for listening.

AND...to all you Veterans, here...everyday, but especially today...

THANKYOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!:flags-usa:

Forever may She Wave:flags-waveusa:

Edited by 12Horse Paladin
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 2

Achto
20 minutes ago, 12Horse Paladin said:

And what is all involved/cost? Is it something i can do, as weather allows, with basic hand tools?

If the electric clutch is bad, I would switch to a manual clutch. JMO. This should be a relatively simple and low cost procedure.  

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

PeacemakerJack

It would be a relatively simple switch over to make with hand tools given the most important need—a complete manual clutch setup.  If you have or can acquire one of those, the rest is pretty much a set by step procedure.  When you are ready, we can walk you through the process...

• Like 3

ZXT

It's really up to you; the electric clutch worked for 50 years but you probably aren't going to find a new one, so what you replace it with might not last that long.

A manual clutch will prove more reliable and parts for them are obtainable. Probably the route I would choose.

• Like 2

pfrederi

If the electric PTO has failed (they are usually a binary function they work or they do not.) Replacement with a manual PTO is a fairly simple hand tool operation.  The only special item you will need. a 4 or 5" long bolt (5/8 NC or 1" NC depending on the PTO) to get the PTO off the crankshaft.

12Horse Paladin
6 hours ago, pfrederi said:

If the electric PTO has failed (they are usually a binary function they work or they do not.) 

What i was told is that the 'static clutch' was/is the problem with the attatched snoblower cutting in and out.

Sorry i cant b more specific at this time; just what i was told...

pfrederi
11 minutes ago, 12Horse Paladin said:

What i was told is that the 'static clutch' was/is the problem with the attatched snoblower cutting in and out.

Sorry i cant b more specific at this time; just what i was told...

Wonder if they meant it slipped or did it total disengage then reengage

12Horse Paladin
20 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Wonder if they meant it slipped or did it total disengage then reengage

Ill b honest, i wont know till it gets here, promised to b running (dead battery was told thatsall; used it last yr)...i plan to have him show me. If /when (its not a dealbreaker for me) he shows me, you can b sure ill be posting update(s)....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12Horse Paladin

UPDATE:

ETA of General is confitmed; sometime between 6-630 PM tomorrow😊

No, i do not care for buying in the dark, literally. 

But i am excited and happy, anyways!😁

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

paxz71usa

Hello Paladin,

Before you get to carried away, I would check to see if the issue with the clutch is mechanical or electrical. If it's mechanical then most here are probably correct to steer you toward a manual change over. I'm really not familiar with that change over, so rely on the ones that know, there is loads of knowledge here. However if the issue with the clutch is electrical and it works intermittently than there's a good possibility that it will be the coil that engages the clutch or a wire leading to it shorting out. I had this issue with my "73" 12 automatic when I first got it. My issue was the coil shorting out, so I posted in the classifieds and purchased a used one and have been mowing with it for 3 years now with no problems. In the end it was a fairly cheap repair and easy to swap out the coil. Plus the tractor is still original.

Enjoy your new Wheel Horse!!   

:USA:         Gary 

• Like 1

12Horse Paladin
7 hours ago, paxz71usa said:

Hello Paladin,

Before you get to carried away, I would check to see if the issue with the clutch is mechanical or electrical. If it's mechanical then most here are probably correct to steer you toward a manual change over. I'm really not familiar with that change over, so rely on the ones that know, there is loads of knowledge here. However if the issue with the clutch is electrical and it works intermittently than there's a good possibility that it will be the coil that engages the clutch or a wire leading to it shorting out. I had this issue with my "73" 12 automatic when I first got it. My issue was the coil shorting out, so I posted in the classifieds and purchased a used one and have been mowing with it for 3 years now with no problems. In the end it was a fairly cheap repair and easy to swap out the coil. Plus the tractor is still original.

Enjoy your new Wheel Horse!!   

I like the way you think, Paxz71usa, and in fact, yes, if i can/could i would rather fix what is there 1st, than replace; just was going off what i was told. 

Once it's here and it is my problem, i hope to find out exactly what the problem is and go from there. Right now, i am just trying to gather ideas/options so i know where to start, when i look...

Thanks much for your input!

953 nut

The problem could be as simple as a wire terminal that is not tight or a switch that is failing to maintain. With the engine OFF and the key in the RUN/ACCESSORY position the clutch should be closed when the PTO switch is on. You will hear it click in. Follow the wiring from the PTO and vigorously shake the wire until you hear the clutch chatter or open. Repair that problem and continue on because there may be more than one weak link in that chain. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

paxz71usa

Hi Paladin,

Have you gotten your tractor yet and had a chance to look over the PTO issue. I'd like to hear how your making out with it. Pictures are always nice too!

:USA:             Gary

12Horse Paladin
7 hours ago, paxz71usa said:

Hi Paladin,

Have you gotten your tractor yet and had a chance to look over the PTO issue. I'd like to hear how your making out with it. Pictures are always nice too!

:USA:             Gary

I did😊

Havent gotten to the PTO, yet...my skills n workspace are limited, so i e been tackling smaller stuff first, and gathering info; just trying to straighten out PO's 'fixes'; posted a few threads on that with pics.

But since you asked, here isa few more.😊

I know they arent a tion shots; just a man's Horse at rest... but he needs a good going over; gonna take me a bit to get it all done/sorted.

But i intend to 😊

Have a great day!

20191117_105109.jpg

20191117_113036.jpg

20191117_113028.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

tom2p

workspace limited ?

sheesh I can barely dream about a spacious area like that !

• Like 3

JCM

@12Horse Paladin   Congrats on your new to you WH tractor, hope you get things sorted out, take your time and ask questions on here, many talented members here. On another note, enjoy your awesome Garage space because in time there may not be enough room for possibly more Tractors, attachments and accessories.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pullstart

That is a pretty cool work shop!  I love the warmness of the wood!

• Like 1

12Horse Paladin

Lol...

Wait...you guys dont understand...

Thats not my workshop...thats my garage, lol.

Once i park my jeep cherokee in there...

Well, space is limited, trust me...🤣

I live on a pretty good sized lot tho, so by spring hope to have the $$$ saved to add another building/leanto, or...something...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

paxz71usa

Keep the Horse in and the Jeep out!!! Looks Good!

Edited by paxz71usa
  • Haha 2