Mr Magoo

New WH guy!

The Tuul Crib

That belt size sounds pretty close . 
is it a 48" deck. I dont have the part 

number handy . Look in the manuals 

section and you might be able to find it there. This is what l love about these 

tractors is the excitement of the hunt!

Your headed in the right direction!

Mr Magoo
1 hour ago, The Tool Crib said:

That belt size sounds pretty close . 
is it a 48" deck. I dont have the part 

number handy . Look in the manuals 

section and you might be able to find it there. This is what l love about these 

tractors is the excitement of the hunt!

Your headed in the right direction!

I'm pretty sure it is a 42" deck though. The whole deck  doesn't even measure 48".

Mr Magoo

So here are a couple of pictures of the mule drive. I'm hoping there is a chance that it did not eat into the shaft. I can't get the inner race off yet. Soaking it in some PB Blaster and tomorrow I will put some heat on it. It looks like it is pretty close. Hopefully it just ate into the race and the spacer. The flat pulley does have some uneven wear to one side, but do you think it would still be usable? Had a heck of a time getting the outer race and snap ring out. It had eaten into both. 

IMG_2301.JPG

Mule drive.JPG

ZXT
1 hour ago, Mr Magoo said:

So I piddled around on my “good” C-120 today. Took the front wheels off to put new bearings in and figured out that I only ordered half as many bearings as I need. One question I have concerning that is that my front wheels are held on to the spindle by a cotter pin. I thought that it would have a bolt threaded into the end of the spindle.

The other great thing I found today is that my mule drive may be trashed. The bearing in the flat pulley was destroyed and seriously messed up the shaft. I pulled the mule drive off of my other C-120 and it seems to be okay other than the fact that the belt has eaten into the cover pretty good for some reason. 

Unfortunately due to the issues that both of the drives have, neither one of the belts are as good as I had hoped and I will need to find a new one. I still need to figure out the correct length. I measured it kind of quickly and got around 103.75”. That was around the flat side of the belt. 

A 42" SD deck should use a 92-6991 belt.

ZXT
15 minutes ago, Mr Magoo said:

So here are a couple of pictures of the mule drive. I'm hoping there is a chance that it did not eat into the shaft. I can't get the inner race off yet. Soaking it in some PB Blaster and tomorrow I will put some heat on it. It looks like it is pretty close. Hopefully it just ate into the race and the spacer. The flat pulley does have some uneven wear to one side, but do you think it would still be usable? Had a heck of a time getting the outer race and snap ring out. It had eaten into both. 

-

You might get lucky and there be no damage, but if there is, don't fret.. Mule drives are cheap - I'm sure someone on here could set you up.

Edited by ZXT
  • Like 1

Mr Magoo
6 minutes ago, ZXT said:

A 42" SD deck should use a 92-6991 belt.

The 92-6991 belt is 132.5" long. That can't be right. What I found in the chart shows the belt should be a #102742 or #94-2501 . That belt is 103" which sounds a lot closer. Also, my spindle belt is a 6738 which I can still read on the belt and this is the only belt listed for the 42" deck in 1976.

ZXT
6 minutes ago, Mr Magoo said:

The 92-6991 belt is 132.5" long. That can't be right. What I found in the chart shows the belt should be a #102742 or #94-2501 . That belt is 103" which sounds a lot closer. Also, my spindle belt is a 6738 which I can still read on the belt and this is the only belt listed for the 42" deck in 1976.

Thanks for setting me straight! Upon further research, you are correct. You appear to need a 102742 belt. I apparently looked at the wrong guide when I purchased the spare for my C-120 with a 42" deck. I bought the 92-6991 belt. I just looked at my eBay purchase history for the part #. Looks like I need to order another!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mr Magoo
Just now, ZXT said:

Thanks for setting me straight! Upon further research, you are correct. You appear to need a 102742 belt. I apparently looked at the wrong guide when I purchased the spare for my C-120 with a 42" deck. I bought the 92-6991 belt. I just looked at my eBay purchase history for the part #. Looks like I need to order another!

Put that dude in the classifieds! Or, you could just by another tractor that fits that belt! :D

• Thanks 1

ZXT
1 minute ago, Mr Magoo said:

Or, you could just by another tractor that fits that belt! :D

That might be what I end up doing!

It's been a while since i ordered it.. I'm not so sure I could find it anyways! :lol: It was a cheap belt; I got it for $9 so I'm not too worried about it.

Mr Magoo

Can someone point me to where I can find a parts drawing of the mule drive? I thought I had found all this stuff, but that isn't in any of the exploded parts break downs I have. 

gwest_ca

Front idler assemblies are illustrated in the mower deck parts lists

Garry

• Like 1

pfrederi

You asked about what hold the front wheel on...WH use at least three different methods over the years.  Cotter pin, external retaining ring (aka snap ring) and a bolt int the end of the spindle.  The bolt is a special one with a plastic insert to keep it from backing out.  I would add the plastic insert doesn't always work.especially on the left front.  had one fall of while plowing snow at the far end of the drive way...NOT a pleasant experience.

• Like 1

Mr Magoo
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

You asked about what hold the front wheel on...WH use at least three different methods over the years.  Cotter pin, external retaining ring (aka snap ring) and a bolt int the end of the spindle.  The bolt is a special one with a plastic insert to keep it from backing out.  I would add the plastic insert doesn't always work.especially on the left front.  had one fall of while plowing snow at the far end of the drive way...NOT a pleasant experience.

So I see now that the replacement spindles from Toro are made with the cotter pin. I guess these were replacements. The paint is pretty fresh on them and this one also has the newer tie rods. It looks like I am missing some spacers. They were only on one side. 

Mr Magoo
4 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Front idler assemblies are illustrated in the mower deck parts lists

Garry

Thank you Garry. Now I know where to look. 

So, the mule drive I have differs from this one in that the pulleys have the replaceable bearings with the snap ring. This is what is shown in the 1975 info. I will have to search and see if those parts are available. I am guessing that I can just put the newer style pulleys on this. One thing I will definitely need are new spacers. Both of mine are chewed up. Here is what mine looks like. 

Mule Drive Exploded.jpg

Mr Magoo

More good news today. Decided to work on my front wheels. I noticed that when I took them off that the inside bearings just fell out. Sure enough, both rims are badly wallowed out from the PO using it with bad bearings. So, looks like I will also be on the hunt for a couple of new wheels. 

I did get the inner bearing race off of the mule drive and the shaft has a few nicks in it. One of them will be covered by the spacer and the other will have a bit under the bearing. It is about 1/4" long and about 3/32" wide. I don't think it would hurt the bearing, but I may just TIG fill them in with my TIG welder. 

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Mr Magoo said:

looks like I will also be on the hunt for a couple of new wheels

I can take a look and see what I've got at home for you

• Like 1

Mr Magoo
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I can take a look and see what I've got at home for you

Thanks Eric. Surely I can find a couple locally though. Are those wheels interchangeable with other brands? Its funny that the color is basically identical to wheels on my Cub Cadet. 

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Mr Magoo said:

interchangeable

I'm really only familiar with Wheelhorse as a brand.

I guess the best I could tell you is that if you can find some that have the same 3/4" hole and the offset works okay, you should be golden.

• Like 1

Mr Magoo

Picked up a set of front wheels with tires today. They aren't show wheels, but they will get us rolling. A little wire brushing and some paint and they will look a lot better. I was surprised to see that they are about 1.5" narrower than one of my sets. The other C-120 and the 856 look to have the same size as these. Not sure why they had two widths of 8" wheels. Seems like the narrow ones were probably made for the 16"x5.5"-8" tires. 

The Tuul Crib

If you need some mule drive parts pm 

me anytime. I have some pulleys laying around,

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Picked up a set of front wheels with tires today. They aren't show wheels, but they will get us rolling. A little wire brushing and some paint and they will look a lot better. I was surprised to see that they are about 1.5" narrower than one of my sets. The other C-120 and the 856 look to have the same size as these. Not sure why they had two widths of 8" wheels. Seems like the narrow ones were probably made for the 16"x5.5"-8" tires. 

There are 3 sizes of 8" wheels that I know of. Likely more too...

Early ones were the most narrow.

Sometime in the 70s they were "medium" width.

In the late 70s they got a little wider.

• Like 2

Mr Magoo

I do like the look of the wider ones. The narrow rims pull the beads in tighter and make the tire look more rounded. It may actually steer better that way though. 

• Like 1

Jrblanke

Just read through this thread. Congrats on the tractor purchases! It looks like you got some great machines! That 42” deck looks very nice! It will be worth the effort you are putting in!

a couple thoughts I had while reading through this. You mentioned that muffler having a lot of brazing. Those mufflers sound awesome compared to the little dinky ones that screw on, and they are quite expensive to replace, so hold onto it if you can! 2nd thing I wanted to mention is that 856 has a gear driven deck and the spindles are in this long cast iron piece that is bolted to the bottom. That deck design is not forgiving when you hit a big rock or stump. So for property maintenance, I would use the C120s until you get to know where the obstacles are.

if you don’t already have mule drive parts on the way, let me know and I’ll go check the one that came off my C120. 

• Like 2

Mr Magoo

I forgot to bring the washer and cotter pin from the spindles back home with me. Does anyone know what size the cotter pin is? Is the outside washer a tight fit to the .75" spindle or is it oversized? 

ebinmaine

I forgot to bring the washer and cotter pin from the spindles back home with me. Does anyone know what size the cotter pin is? Is the outside washer a tight fit to the .75" spindle or is it oversized? 

Cotter should be 1/8" or 3/32" x 1.5" or a little longer.

Not sure on the washer but I'd think you want it close to .75 ID to keep grease from moving around much.

• Like 1