Mr Magoo

New WH guy!

Mr Magoo

Hello Friends and Neighbors! I am a new inductee into the WH world. I am renting some property and in the garage are 3 WH tractors. There are 2 C120 Automatics and an 856. Being new to the WH brand, I have lots of questions about getting these old babies running again. 

All have been sitting for at least 5-8 years from what I gather. They have been stored inside and other than being really dirty, look pretty good. They of course will need batteries. Some of the rear tires are flat and rotted out. I imagine the first thing to do will be do drain all the fluids out and maybe replace some fuel lines as well as filters. I have never messed with hydros before so I am not sure what I need to do there. 

Now for some specifics. I was able to get all the data off of all 3 today. Both of the C120's have 12 HP Kohler engines.

The numbers on the frame tag for the 1st one are 61-12KS03-22683 and then below that is 6149. The engine tag numbers are Model #K301S, Spec. 47421d, Serial # 7421687.

The numbers on the frame tag for the 2nd one are 61-12KS02-14464 and then below that is 6149. The engine tag numbers are Model #K301S, Spec. 47421d, Serial # 7360736.

I can't find my WH decoder ring so I'm hoping someone can help me with what these numbers can tell me as far as when they were made and what is significant about them to know when working on them. 

One of the two C120's has two different rear tire sizes. There is a 23X10.5-12 on one side and a 23X8.5-12 on the other. Both rears on the second tractor are 23X8.5-12. There are also two extra wheels with 23X8.5-12 tires in the barn. What size should be running on the rears of the C120? I'm hoping I can get two good sets out of what is in the barn. Both C120's have 16X6.5-8's in the front. They seem to all still be holding air. 

The batteries that are in the C120's are SP-35's, 300 CCA, 375 CA. Are these the correct size? 

The 856 is pretty buried under lots of stuff and I could not get around it much. It also has a Kohler engine. The tag was faded out, but I think it says 8 HP. Model #A170476, Spec. 30108D. That is pretty much all I could get from it today. 

What is the Spec. # on the engine plates reference to? 

I have the opportunity to buy one or more from the property owner. He and I both would like some opinions on what they are worth as they sit right now in non-running condition and what they are worth in running condition. I'm not talking about restored show condition. We need to use them to maintain the property. He would like to keep one for himself if I can get them running. Depending one the extent of what it takes to make that happen and the cost of parts we can reach a fair deal. The 856 I have no idea what I will do with. I did not even know it was buried in there until yesterday. 

I'm hoping to be able to get them unburied enough to take some pictures soon. Oh, and while digging through the stuff today I found what I believe is a plow blade for them. 

Looking forward to the adventure of getting them going again. I rehabbed a Cub ZTR last year that had been used and seriously abused. Electrical system was fried from someone hooking up the battery backwards, motor had been run out of oil and locked up, and the deck was hurt bad. Lucky for me I am a welder for the last 35 years and coaxed it back into shape. Runs like a champ now on its big rebuilt Kohler 22 HP motor. 

Thanks in advance and have a great week everyone!

Ken

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

ZXT

:text-welcomeconfetti:to RedSquare! Glad to have you! If I were you, I'd go for a C-120 if you are to keep one. If you get to keep two, keep a C-120 and the 856! That way you'll have a variety. 

As far as getting them running, changing all of the fluids would be wise. Beyond that, the carbs will probably need cleaned, and the points will probably need to be filed as well. With a clean fuel system and hot spark, they ought to start up and run! 

You can run whatever size you want, but 23x8.5's are "correct". Running it with the tires as-is shouldn't hurt anything, since one will only be a little wider.If it were taller, you'd have an issue.

I'll have to do some research on the serial numbers for you to determine the year. 

EDIT: Looks like both of the C-120's are 1976 models.

Edited by ZXT
  • Like 2

Mr Magoo

Hi Jonah! Thanks for the info. So we have a couple of Bicentennial WH's! One thing I did not get to do was to check out the mover decks. I'm not sure what size they are. 

So is the 856 older than the 120's?

• Like 3

ZXT
2 minutes ago, Mr Magoo said:

Hi Jonah! Thanks for the info. So we have a couple of Bicentennial WH's! One thing I did not get to do was to check out the mover decks. I'm not sure what size they are. 

So is the 856 older than the 120's?

Yep! An 856 would be a '66 model.

• Like 2

Mr Magoo

Well that is the year I was hatched so that's a good reason to try and get that one!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine

Welcome to Redsquare !!

Jonah's got you heading the right direction.

Once they're running be sure to change ALL the fuel line.

See if you can get ahold of non ethanol fuel in your area.

Pics are awesome. Before after during whenever.

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib

:text-welcomeconfetti:to:rs:

:wwp:

• Like 1

Super-C 4 me

:WRS:

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 2

Mr Magoo
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Welcome to Redsquare !!

Jonah's got you heading the right direction.

Once they're running be sure to change ALL the fuel line.

See if you can get ahold of non ethanol fuel in your area.

Pics are awesome. Before after during whenever.

Thank you!

I plan on changing all the lines out. I do that with all my small engine stuff I pick up used. I only run ethanol free fuel in all my equipment. I learned that from watching "Jay Len's Garage". I am fortunate that there is a CountryMark gas station not too far away that only sells ethanol free fuel. I just went there yesterday and filled my cans. 

Will get pictures when I can get them out in the light. I am not able to physically do that right now due to some health issues. 

• Like 3

12Horse Paladin

GoodMorning, and Welcome!

This is a great place, with great people, for all things WheelHorse. I'm sure you will like it here, and learn all you want to know, and more!😊

That is a nice start to a great herd...youll like those c120's!

• Like 2

gwest_ca

The numbers on the frame tag for the 2nd one are 61-12KS02-14464 and then below that is 6149. The engine tag numbers are Model #K301S, Spec. 47421d, Serial # 7360736.

The numbers on the frame tag for the 1 st one are 61-12KS03-22683 and then below that is 6149. The engine tag numbers are Model #K301S, Spec. 47421d, Serial # 7421687.

Welcome to the forum.

I flipped your 2 lines so the model/serial numbers are progressive.

1976 was the first model year for this model number format. The 02 and 03 are parts list identifiers which indicates there is a difference. To add to the confusion there was also a 01 and 04. Have a hunch one difference was the pto safety switch and wiring used but don't know when.

The 6149 is the Julian build date and they really struggled with the concept. (149th day of 1976)

When you get a chance double check the numbers. Have added them here where I think they should be. Click on the fuzzy picture for more.

Do the same for the 856

Garry

• Like 3

Achto

:WRS: I would try work out a deal for one of the C120's and the 856 if you can. Both are great machines.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 2

953 nut
8 hours ago, Mr Magoo said:

I have the opportunity to buy one or more from the property owner. He and I both would like some opinions on what they are worth as they sit right now in non-running condition and what they are worth in running condition.

In my opinion any non-running Wheel Horse is worth $ 100 because you can't anticipate the cost of getting it going. A good running fully functional Wheel Horse with a deck or snow plow should bring around $ 350 to $ 500 depending on condition.

Sounds like you have a good game plan for doing the much needed maintenance to get them going.

:wwp:

• Like 3

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti: @Mr Magoo!  It sounds like the landlord doesn’t have any plans for them, why not bundle them all?  It’s great to have a few spares for various chores, or if friends and family stop by!

13F836D9-E2FA-47D9-A034-02754DBEE087.jpeg

9DC8D0CC-A06E-4C5B-B381-D44B9FE6AD48.jpeg

2AA48AC1-9C0A-44DF-8BF6-210263B7F859.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

Mr Magoo
4 hours ago, Achto said:

:WRS: I would try work out a deal for one of the C120's and the 856 if you can. Both are great machines.

That is what I think I will do. Like I said, the landlord would like to keep one of them. Hopefully I will get to cherry pick the one I want. 

• Like 3

Mr Magoo

One thing I need to figure out is how to disengage the hydro so it can free wheel to move it. I am trying to get through the manual that I downloaded. I would love to find an original manual, but I imagine that may be hard to come by. 

• Like 1

pfrederi

Tow valve is on the left front of the hydro pump  turn counter clockwise 1 turn should do it.

IMG_0322_LI.jpg

• Like 4

WHX??

:WRS:

• Like 1

12Horse Paladin
5 hours ago, 953 nut said:

A good running fully functional Wheel Horse with a deck or snow plow should bring around $ 350 to $ 500 depending on condition.

I sure am glad to see someone write/think this...it's a rule of thumb i just used...

Hope it holds true😉🤣🤔

• Like 2

12Horse Paladin
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

Tow valve is on the left front of the hydro pump  turn counter clockwise 1 turn should do it.

IMG_0322_LI.jpg

Thankyou for this handy bit of info!...

Another question answered😊

• Like 2

oliver2-44

Since the tow valve hasn’t moved in quite a few years start soaking it with your favorite penetrant. Try to use a large blade screw drive that fills the slot. I like to us a long one with a square shank. That way I can put pressure to hold the blade in the slot and turn the screwdriver with a wrench or crescent  on the square shank

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Daddy Don

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 2

Mr Magoo

Thanks for all the info so far folks. Snow has got me stuck inside today. It's only 12° out today, so no work is getting done on them today. Hoping I can get down to the property later in the week.

First order of business will be to get some aired up tires on it so I can move them around.  I only have one good arm to use, so I will need to enlist some help for that. 

• Like 3

Pullstart

The temps are all over the place!  I’m 4-1/2 hours north of you and it’s 16 out.  HEAT WAVE!  :D  I’m a bit too far to give you my arm, but I’d do it if we were closer. :handgestures-thumbupright:  if you do get the tires aired up, the 856 will likely be the easiest to move in the cold.. assuming the transmission has been away from rain and whatnot for all those years.  Being inside, that’s my assumption that it’s just oil on the inside.

• Like 2
  • Heart 1