Mr Magoo

New WH guy!

Mr Magoo

Success! I finally got it running today. Yesterday I pulled off the shroud, found the timing marks, wire brushed them, and marked them with a yellow paint marker. I also installed a new set of points and a condenser. I would have tried to fire it up, but had no battery with me. 

Today I got back at it. I pulled the deck out from under it and removed the hood. Those two things make it a lot easier to work on it. Dropped the battery in it and it fired right up. For the first start in at least 10 years it ran great I think. Not smoking at all. I have a few sputters every now and then. Not sure why. I still need to replace the spark plug wire for sure and I would also like to replace both batter cables as well as the one leading from the solenoid to starter. 

After letting it get hot I changed the oil twice. Even though the tires are pretty sketchy, I had to drop it in drive to check out the hydro. It worked great. Forwards and back no problem. I did not have the throttle all the way open and it shocked me just how quick it would move. I do wonder about the engine RPM's. I opened it up almost all the way and it sounded like it was really screaming. I would love to find a way to check the RPM's to make sure it is not running too fast. Looking into that. 

I will be back to work in a couple of weeks and hopefully I can get some tires then. I do noticed that there is play in the front wheels where they attach on to the spindles. I'm guessing that maybe the wheel bearings need replaced. 

Thanks for all the help everyone!

IMG_2282.JPG

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

The Tuul Crib

Ain't nothing like hearing an old Kohler fire up! Good satisfaction isn't it!

• Like 3

ZXT

EXCELLENT! I missed that you wound up with all three of them.. I wish there was a way to make the site notify you when someone replies to a topic, even if they don't quote you. I forget about threads I comment on all of the time.

Glad that you got one of them running and that there is no smoke. Hopefully the other two behave the same way!

What's so sketchy about the tires? If they hold air, they're fine. If they don't, put tubes in them. It's not like you're running down the highway.. You're moving <7 MPH. One of mine still has its original tires from 1970. 

I assume you got a good deal on them, since you only intended to buy one? That's awesome!

• Like 1

Mr Magoo
14 minutes ago, ZXT said:

What's so sketchy about the tires? If they hold air, they're fine. If they don't, put tubes in them. It's not like you're running down the highway.. You're moving <7 MPH. One of mine still has its original tires from 1970. 

Some of the tires had been sitting flat for quite some time and the sidewalls are completely split through. 

• Like 1

Mr Magoo

Here is the underside of the deck. I'm assuming this is a 42". Center to center on the outside spindles is 27". All three of the blades are 13.75" long. I found some old ones in the barn the same length. They have a single round hole in them. Does that sound right?

IMG_2287.JPG

Edited by Mr Magoo
  • Like 2

ebinmaine
11 hours ago, ZXT said:

I wish there was a way to make the site notify you when someone replies to a topic, even if they don't quote you. I forget about threads I comment on all of the time.

There is.

EVERY thread I post to, I automatically am "following".

There are settings that can be adjusted.

12 hours ago, Mr Magoo said:

. I would love to find a way to check the RPM's to make sure it is not running too fast. Looking into that

AWESOME to hear it's running and driving.

There are cheap electric hand held tachometers online. I bought one to check/adjust Cinnamon. $15 and up..

Idle should be around 1200, higher is better than lower IMHO. High should be max 3600 RPM.

Tires can be had online as well for half the price of some stores....

• Like 1

ZXT
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

There is.

EVERY thread I post to, I automatically am "following".

There are settings that can be adjusted.

I'll have to look through the settings and see what I can do. I know there's the "follow" button at the top of the page, but all that does is offer to send an email whenever there's a reply. I just want a notification on the site.

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, ZXT said:

I'll have to look through the settings and see what I can do. I know there's the "follow" button at the top of the page, but all that does is offer to send an email whenever there's a reply. I just want a notification on the site.

Yepp.

There's a way to either, or both.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, ZXT said:

Top right corner of the page.

Click on the 3 bars.

To find settings.

Click on Account.

Click Account Settings.

Scroll down through that and select what you want to happen.

I have it set so any New Topic in a Section I follow triggers an email. Also replies, messages, other things.

All separate emails.

That way I have an email for every piece that happens and I can deal with each one as I get time and not forget.

• Like 1

ZXT
22 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Top right corner of the page.

Click on the 3 bars.

To find settings.

Click on Account.

Click Account Settings.

Scroll down through that and select what you want to happen.

I have it set so any New Topic in a Section I follow triggers an email. Also replies, messages, other things.

All separate emails.

That way I have an email for every piece that happens and I can deal with each one as I get time and not forget.

Thanks! I think I have everything set now.

• Excellent 1

Pullstart

Jonah.... testing testing!

@Mr Magoo congrats on your success!  That’s what a feels good donut tastes like right there!

• Like 1

Mr Magoo

Where on the mower deck would some sort of I.D. # be? I did not see anything, but I need to clean it better. 

• Like 1

gwest_ca
16 minutes ago, Mr Magoo said:

Where on the mower deck would some sort of I.D. # be? I did not see anything, but I need to clean it better. 

The ID moved around over the years. Many had a plate secured by a bolt that mounted the hardware on the rear of the deck.

Here is a list of all the decks in the order they were produced. The single 3/4" blade center hole helps unless an earlier deck was upgraded to a newer design spindle assembly.

Mower DNA

1966-1967 model RL-426 replaced by

1968 model 5-1421

1969 model 5-1422

1970 model 5-1423

1971 model 5-1000

1971-1972 model 5-1001

1973-1974 model 5-1010

1975 model 5-1011

1975 model 5-1012

1976 model 65-42MS01

1976 model 65-42MS02

1977 model 75-42MS01 - These 42" side discharge decks all use blades with 5/8" x 3/4" double-D center hole unless the spindles have been upgraded (Do not have operator manual)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These decks all use blades with a 3/4" center hole.

1977 model 75-42MS02 replaced by (Do not have operator manual)

1978 model 85-42MS01 (Do not have operator manual)

1979 model 95-42MS00 (Do not have operator manual)

1979 model 95-42MS01 (Do not have operator manual)

1980 model 05-42MS01 (Have operator manual)

1981-1983 model 05-42MS02

1984 model 05-42MS03 - Last year for bearings with 3/4" ID

1985 model 05-42MS04 - First year for bearings with 17mm ID unless older spindles were updated.

1986-1988 model 05-42MS05

1989 model 15-42SC01

1990 model 15-42SC02

1990-1992 model 15-42SC03

1993-2007 and 2009-2012 model 78345 - These decks all use blades with a 3/4" center hole.

Note - 17mm is .669"

Garry

• Like 1

Mr Magoo

What I found in the Toro chart showed the 1976 model 65-42MS01, but not the 1976 model 65-42MS02.

The 1976 model 65-42MS01 calls out a 100200 blade kit which has the 3 hole pattern with the obround hole in the center. I will have to try and get a blade off to see what is on there. 

So possibly the spindles were changed out to use the single hole blades instead of the obround. 

Mr Magoo

This is the top side of my deck. I am still not sure what model it is. I did not find any markings or tags on the deck. I do not see any pictures of one with a chute like this one has. The pictures of the 65-42MS01 show a much different style chute. I welcome your input. 

I did find a number on the spindle drive belt. It is a Wheel Horse belt #6738 and it looks like it is in good condition. It looks like that belt was used starting in 1965 and for quite a few years after on other 42" decks.

I could not read a number on the mule drive belt. I could barely make out a Made in Mexico and that was about it. It really looks to be in good condition and I will leave it alone. 

The blades are really in great shape. It looks like they must have been put on right before it was parked. The spindles also feel nice and tight and should be good to go. 

IMG_2290.JPG

IMG_2291.JPG

• Like 1

tom2p
42 minutes ago, Mr Magoo said:

This is the top side of my deck. I am still not sure what model it is. I did not find any markings or tags on the deck. I do not see any pictures of one with a chute like this one has. The pictures of the 65-42MS01 show a much different style chute. I welcome your input. 

I did find a number on the spindle drive belt. It is a Wheel Horse belt #6738 and it looks like it is in good condition. It looks like that belt was used starting in 1965 and for quite a few years after on other 42" decks.

I could not read a number on the mule drive belt. I could barely make out a Made in Mexico and that was about it. It really looks to be in good condition and I will leave it alone. 

The blades are really in great shape. It looks like they must have been put on right before it was parked. The spindles also feel nice and tight and should be good to go. 

IMG_2290.JPG

IMG_2291.JPG

looks a lot like a more recent deck

maybe model  78345

(listed above by Garry)

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Many parts lists are shared by the 42" and 48" decks, The illustrations are usually of the 48" deck with the reinforcement plate so the 42" is not illustrated.

Most decals have their part number on them. Takes a lot of looking but they will narrow down the possibilities.

Large blade nut is used with 3/4" hole in blade.

The L-shaped adjustment bolt at the rear went from 3/8" to 1/2" at some point.

Garry

• Like 1

Lost.soul.collecter

:text-welcomeconfetti: be careful wheel horses multiply in your barn when your not looking I started off with one fell in love with it  and now own 7 hope you get joy out of yours 

Mr Magoo

Do most of you run tubes in your tires or just when the tires get old and cracked?

ebinmaine
26 minutes ago, Mr Magoo said:

Do most of you run tubes in your tires or just when the tires get old and cracked?

All the time....

We mount our own tires and it's just easier to get them inflated if we don't have to worry about seating them.

• Like 2

Mr Magoo
Just now, ebinmaine said:

All the time....

We mount our own tires and it's just easier to get them inflated if we don't have to worry about seating them.

What are you using to mount them? I looked at the HF model, but a kid I know at the store showed me 5 of them that had been returned all bent up from folks trying to get them to work. 

MikMacMike
8 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

All the time....

Absolutly....tubular bells in my tires.

• Like 1

pfrederi

Cargo straps work to help seat tubeless tires

• Like 2

ebinmaine
25 minutes ago, Mr Magoo said:

What are you using to mount them? I looked at the HF model, but a kid I know at the store showed me 5 of them that had been returned all bent up from folks trying to get them to work. 

Trina bought us the full-sized harbor freight manual tire changer 2 or 3 years ago.

The biggest issue with those is it NEEDS to be bolted down to a VERY secure surface. Mine is in the floor joists.

I can definitely understand how one of these would get bent up some... but I can also tell you that it is likely some owner inexperience or even abuse that is causing a lot of those issues.

I'm not exactly a small person so I have PLENTY of leverage to break the bead and move the tool around the pivot point.

• Like 1

MikMacMike
7 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Trina bought us the full-sized harbor freight manual tire changer 2 or 3 years ago.

The biggest issue with those is it NEEDS to be bolted down to a VERY secure surface. Mine is in the floor joists.

I can definitely understand how one of these would get bent up some... but I can also tell you that it is likely some owner inexperience or even abuse that is causing a lot of those issues.

I'm not exactly a small person so I have PLENTY of leverage to break the bead and move the tool around the pivot point.

And bead lube is a real friend too....I remeber doing old biased and nylon tires by hand and no machine, it takes both your arms and both yer feet to climb the bead over the rim edge....lots of pinched and scraped knuckles too, not to mention words that will never make it into the oxford dictionary....smiles. Id like to try one of those Princess Auto tire machines.....Im sure if they were a bit weak in spots a welded brace here and there might help? hmmmm may be?

Edited by MikMacMike
  • Like 2