ebinmaine

'49 Ferguson TO20 farm tractor

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

That oughta be a chunk o change !! Ouch!

Not actually as bad as you would think. The rears are about $225 each. The fronts are just 16 inch 1 ton truck tires...

Fronts are definitely available from the local salvage yard for about $40 each. I'll watch the internet for some decent used rear tires.

• Like 1

bc.gold
27 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Not actually as bad as you would think. The rears are about $225 each. The fronts are just 16 inch 1 ton truck tires...

Fronts are definitely available from the local salvage yard for about $40 each. I'll watch the internet for some decent used rear tires.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, bcgold said:

Already ahead of you on that one. When I get the new tires and rims on the rear they will be Rimguard filled as well.

This tractor needs 2 new rear wheels because of calcium corrosion.

I have Rimguard tire ballast in the Cinnamon Horse in all four (oversized) tires.

That tractor has 255 lbs of fluid weight alone.

This Ferguson should end up with somewhere over 600 pounds of fluid weight.

• Like 1

Pullstart

Are you taking it in to be fluid filled?  I can only imagine wrastling a filled big tire like that onto the hub!

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Are you taking it in to be fluid filled?  I can only imagine wrastling a filled big tire like that onto the hub!

Not sure yet.

I'd really like to learn and get the tools to fill them ourselves.

I figure each rear tire/wheel around 400 pounds when done and we'd have to mount them by hand no matter who fills them.

I have a neighbor with a loader who could help me with it.

• Like 2

Pullstart

My guess is one of those submersible pumps to fill the tire would be easiest.  Just keeping in mind that the residual air pressure inside the tire needs to be bled out on occasion...

• Thanks 1

bc.gold

While you have the tire and rims off would be a good time to replace brake shoes, I mounted tires with wet tubes installed before mounting them onto the tractor.

Filled after being remounted on tractor.

If you know how many gallons a needed filling is easy with pre measured amounts, my tires are 2/3rds filled and to determine the liquid level used a hammer to tap on the sidewall. Where hammer meets liquid the tap has a resounding thud, hammer bounces on air location.

Wet tubes save rims from corrosion and loss of air. which happens during the extreme temperature changes we experience north of the 49th.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, bcgold said:

replace brake shoes

I'll have to check on that one and thank you for reminding me.

I know my father has done them and I also know that tractor has had very limited usage. But I don't remember how long they've been on there.

• Thanks 1

AHS
On 11/10/2019 at 10:29 AM, ebinmaine said:

Yes quite true.

This one won't likely be used for snow removal this winter. We were already set up for that.

I'll keep the plow handy for at least a season or two and maybe use it for pushing back snow banks.

I wanted it for the bucket, not so much the plow.

Phew... not a trip system!😳 I would want a pillow between me and the steering wheel!!😁

• Haha 1