Sign in to follow this  
Rick Ferrucci

12v battery

Rick Ferrucci

Hi everyone,

I’m going to need a new battery in a GT14 for the winter. Right now I have an Interstate SP40 with 325 CCA, that’s lasted four years. Less for some people. Anybody have any suggestions or recommendations? Thank you.  

Rick

peter lena

walmart  U1 SERIES BATTERY WITH SIMULAR CCA , WILL DO WELL , ALSO MUCH CHEAPER THAN INTERSTATE, DO YOU HAVE A BATTERY TENDER ?   that will improve your battery life , pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

tom2p

appears you had good service with the Interstate - so you could go that route again 

Interstate battery might be made by Johnson Controls - so another similar rated battery made by Johnson Controls might be another good option 

for years - decades - I used Sears Diehard batteries in everything including cars ... muscle cars ... trucks ... tractors ... and always had good service 

our cars sit outside - so we need good cold cranking power 

truck would sit for weeks at a time - so needed good reserve 

and one car has fairly high parasitic drain - so also needed good reserve because of this 

Diehard always worked well

I could let a tractors sit not only weeks but months in a cold garage during winter - and the battery would still be able to start the tractors late winter / early spring 

I got years of service from these Diehard batteries despite not maintaining them properly during the winter

just recently had to replace batteries on two cars and two tractors - Diehard no longer an option - so I purchased Duracell batteries 

don't know who makes them ... Deka ? ... East Penn ? ... Johnson ? ... but the specs, reviews, and recommendations appear to be promising 

Edited by tom2p
  • Thanks 1

pacer

I'm like Peter - Been using wallyworld  U-1 for some 5-6yrs and have quite good service from them. I now have one in a D-200 that just passed the 5yr mark. Theyre inexpensive - $30 - and of course theres a wally located near you.

Oddly enough the one I got last winter, the core charge was $14!! - half the cost of the new one!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi

If you have the bigger battery box go for a 22NF  Costs a lot more (+/- $100) but the one in my John Deere GT235 i  18 years old and is getting a bit weaker but hanging in....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

wfrpalm

I would use a battery tender on any battery you get to make it last longer.

• Thanks 1