WildmanC120

44" Snowblower on a C-161 Twin Fiberglass Hood

WildmanC120

Has anyone done this before?  I am having fitment issues mounting the 44" blower as it hits the hood.  Unsure what I am to do here.  Curious if anyone else has had this issue before and of so what did you do to resolve it. 

IMG_20191101_120954.jpg

IMG_20191101_120945.jpg

Pullstart

Could you move the tach-a-matic up to the next hole?

wallfish

Remove the hood and fit the blower up to make sure everything is good and operating correctly. Then figure out how to fit the hood back on with the blower installed so it doesn't interfere. Seems better and probably easier to adjust the hood position than modifying the blower position. You could always run it without a hood if needed or find a crappy 2nd hood to cut and modify for blower duty. 

• Like 2

MalMac

Yes some hood modifying is in order as suggested above. That blower was not designed to work on that tractor.

• Like 2

Racinbob

:text-yeahthat:That's the issue here. It's just not the correct blower. You might be able to modify it to work but I'd suggest finding the right blower. :)

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

You could probably make it work on the FRONT attach-a-matic.       It'll take a long belt and lift rod and a long storage area.

wallfish

There is not a correct 2 stage blower made for that tractor and that blower will fit on the frame without any modifications, but the bigger front section of a black hood is the only obstacle. Before getting a correct SS blower to fit that tractor, I'd get a correct tractor for the blower or modify something with the hood. You'll love the 2 stage compared to a single stage. Don't get me wrong as the single stages do work great but the 2 stage is definitely an upgrade.

When it comes to blowers, 2 stage or SS, the more HP the better IMO. I just bought a 520 to go up to 20hp instead of the 18 on a 418-C for my 2 stage. Let me know if you're interested in a 18 hp tractor for that blower to bolt right on and go.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

I have made front weight hangers for the B,C,3,4,500 series tractors a few years back... Then @cschannuth asked if I could make one for his dad's C161 and I had to add 3" and drop it it down about 1" to get it to clear the "Blackhood" versions vs the others so there's 99% of the issue and even when the 2stage is mounted on a 520 the hood still won't open fully unlike a single stage. Here's some pics of the differences.

IMAG2105.jpg

image.jpeg.e851a83df79648b34f4ef3f1557d6c8c.jpeg

IMAG1957.jpg

IMAG1958.jpg

IMAG1930.jpg

IMAG2501.jpg

IMAG2500.jpg

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 1

WildmanC120

Figures I would have the only model that this blower will not work on.  I really need this unit to work as I just do not think the single stage will cut it according to the neighbors.  Here are some pics of what I am up against.  This black hood is super long and sticks way forward.  You would have to raise it 3-4 inches to make it work in the front.  I wonder if a 3/4/500 series hood would fit this???? I have plenty of room between the hood and front of engine.

IMG_20191102_165829.jpg

IMG_20191102_165845.jpg

IMG_20191102_171012.jpg

IMG_20191102_171428.jpg

IMG_20191102_171433.jpg

IMG_20191102_171437.jpg

IMG_20191102_171442.jpg

IMG_20191102_171505.jpg

IMG_20191102_171511.jpg

IMG_20191102_171749.jpg

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

From my personal experiences the newer tall chute single stage thrower is just as effective as the 2 stage except for wet sloppy stuff or DOT plow banks, and most likely a metal B,C,3,400 series hood should work... The 500 series hood is cut out different for the dashstand/instrument panel.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WildmanC120
14 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

From my personal experiences the newer tall chute single stage thrower is just as effective as the 2 stage except for wet sloppy stuff or DOT plow banks, and most likely a metal B,C,3,400 series hood should work... The 500 series hood is cut out different for the dashstand/instrument panel.

I think I'll pull the hood off my 416 and see if it fits.  If it fits then I'll buy another of that style good to run on it for the winter 

WildmanC120

Ok so I think I made some progress. I took the hood off my 416 and mounted it. I discovered that I gained all the clearance I need on the front, no more hitting the hood and it even clears my engine ok.  

Next issue is that this dash is different and now the hood is not long enough in the back.  After looking at both tractors it appears I can just swap the battery tray bracket/dash bracket and essentially convert this to a 300/400/500 series. 

What do you all think???

IMG_20191107_140801.jpg

IMG_20191107_140811.jpg

IMG_20191107_141143.jpg

IMG_20191107_141733.jpg

• Like 1

wallfish

What does the C-160 hood look like on there? I see a C-160 in your signature

Is that a 1/2" wide belt on the blower? Should be a 5/8 wide. It looks to be sitting deep into the pulley grooves and very close together from the top and the spring tensioned idler pulley. If they rub, especially in different direction of travel, it will wear very quick. That idler will bounce a little under changing loads so make sure they won't touch.

WildmanC120
7 minutes ago, wallfish said:

What does the C-160 hood look like on there? I see a C-160 in your signature

Is that a 1/2" wide belt on the blower? Should be a 5/8 wide. It looks to be sitting deep into the pulley grooves and very close together from the top and the spring tensioned idler pulley. If they rub, especially in different direction of travel, it will wear very quick. That idler will bounce a little under changing loads so make sure they won't touch.

I didn't try the 160 hood. I don't think that will be close to fitting. It's too small or WH would have ran that instead of making that fiberglass thing. 

As for the belt, yes it's a 1/2".  It's what came with the blower when I got it this fall.  I plan on getting a new belt and will need a slightly shorter one due to the location of my engine.