Elliot Garfinkel

5714 pto pedal spring

Elliot Garfinkel

Hi all doing restomod on 702 wanted to replace spring 5714 from what I see its nla I read that a replacement # 9433klll from  mc master  carr is being used as a replacement  but I'm sure it will work unless someone  has a better replacement.  Thanks

20191031_115036.jpg

gwest_ca

Are you sure the spring for the 702 is not 1014?

I have the 1014 was replaced by 83-2730

4.500" between hooks, .070" wire, .520" coil OD, .380 coil ID, 3.570" coil length, 52 + 2 1/2 coils

https://www.partstree.com/parts/toro-83-2730/

Garry

Elliot Garfinkel

Thanks for the reply the brake/clutch spring is the 1014 and the 83-2730 it's on the pto side it's the spring for the pedal for implements I believe.the spring that's in the picture looks better then it really is

gwest_ca

Here is what I was looking at - Item #7 in Figure 7 is shown twice.

The McMaster springs appear to be much lighter.

Garry

Tractor 1962 502 552 702 IPL #A-1736 7 Spring SS.jpg

Elliot Garfinkel

Yes thanks for that info but I have a pedal on the opposite side I will send pic you might not see it too well but I dont think that spring will work for me. I have ordered  that #7(1014) but i think it will be two short.

20191002_115834.jpg

Elliot Garfinkel

You know now that I'm looking at the pic and your diagram I think you are right about that spring the one that was on their I assumed it was original cause it had that look to it.will confirm when I receive that one thanks again

gwest_ca

The illustration of the pto hardware would have been better on the other side of the page but they did not have room for it.

That mechanism has always amazed me. Once you work on one you never forget it's simplicity. The spring is hooked to the eye of a cotter pin in the frame.

Garry

gwest_ca

Finally figured out where the 5714 part number came from.

Up to and including 1964 the spring part number is 1014.

The parts lists starting in 1965 use the same illustration but have the part number as 5714. So is it a typo or different spring?

Can find no other reference to 5714.

Garry

Elliot Garfinkel

Hey Gary good detective work I ordered  a #108035 which I think will work to replace  the 5714 and as far as the 1014 I did order the 83-2730 little shorter and thinner but I'm sure it will be fine. Thanks Elliot

20191109_151703.jpg