ktowndave

Marine deep cycle batteries

ktowndave

I've been searching for an answer but, haven't found any results. My question is, can I use a deep cycle marine battery in place of a tractor battery in my lawn mowers?

ktowndave

A 12 volt battery not a golf cart type.

ebinmaine

Deep cycle batteries are designed to be drawn down and recharged further than most tractors can do.

Some say if you don't discharge a deep cycle far enough continuously it will drastically shorten the life span.

Also, they are far more expensive in most cases.

Can you? Sure.

Should you? I wouldn't think it would be best in the long run.

The question that comes to mind is:

Why are you wanting to use a deep cycle?

Do you already have one on hand?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

ZXT
17 minutes ago, ktowndave said:

I've been searching for an answer but, haven't found any results. My question is, can I use a deep cycle marine battery in place of a tractor battery in my lawn mowers?

Are you speaking of a full sized deep cycle or are they making smaller ones now? I can't imagine how you'd make one fit.

That being said, I've used deep cycles on cars and trucks before with no negative results. They're designed to be slow charged, but if you aren't drawing them down much then it shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by ZXT
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead

As long as CCA is high enough, yes but -

If you mean AGM battery‘s, the have mostly different Charging recommendations

and the charging curve differs a bit to a Lead Acid Battery.

normal lead acid battery has it‘s charging Voltage at 13,6-13,8V

a AGM battery has it‘s charging voltage at 14,4 - 14,8 V for a completely charging cycle.

The result will be, that a AGM battery can not completely fully charged, what can reduce the lifetime.

Oops, ebinmaine and ZXT  was faster...

Edited by Tractorhead
  • Like 1

peter lena

lynnmor

Most of the marine "deep cycle" batteries sold at all the local big box stores are not true deep cycle, they are a compromise between a true deep cycle with heavy plates and a starting battery.  They may tolerate more and deeper discharging than a standard car battery at the expense of slightly less cranking power.  You can get true deep cycle golf cart batteries in both 6 and 12 volts.  In my opinion, the small engines we have can use any type of battery and will crank well enough.  If you have no way of keeping a battery fully charged by frequent running for some time or charging, then a deep cycle (either the marine or true) might make sense.  All lead-acid batteries benefit from keeping them fully charged.  I use a 1.25 amp Battery Tender and charge for three days each month if needed.  Yes, the fully charged light will come on in hours, but it takes much longer to get that last bit in.

ktowndave

I buy my batteries from Rural King, supposedly made by Exide. They don't last more than 2 seasons. I trickle charge them through the winter months, I take them out of the tractors and bring them into the main garage and set them on a 2x8 board. Might be that I have to buy better batteries. What brand of batteries do you use and what is the average lifespan you get with them?

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, ktowndave said:

average lifespan

I can't really comment too much on our own experience with life span because we really just got into this tractor stuff about three or four years ago.

We had a Napa battery that only lasted a little less than two years.

Obviously I had some concern with such a short life spans so I asked my favorite local small engine shop.

He said nowadays the way things are made, 2 years is about average with three or four seasons being usable if they are removed from the tractor and kept on a trickle charger.

Lucky for us I can get garden tractor batteries for about 42 bucks a piece which isn't too bad.

Edited by ebinmaine
  • Like 1

Digger 66
20 minutes ago, ktowndave said:

I buy my batteries from Rural King, supposedly made by Exide. They don't last more than 2 seasons. I trickle charge them through the winter months, I take them out of the tractors and bring them into the main garage and set them on a 2x8 board. Might be that I have to buy better batteries. What brand of batteries do you use and what is the average lifespan you get with them?

While one rolls the dice every time they buy a battery , as stated above , CCA ( cold cranking amps ) are a small engines batteries main priority .

For my lawn equipment I buy Wal mart batteries . They sell alot so they're always fresh & dated .

They usually last from 5-7 years and I have never once removed one and taken it inside for the winter .

You don't bring your car battery inside at night ...right ?

A trickle charger is too much for a battery (IMO) a Battery Tender Jr is what I have been using for the last 15 years or so .

.75 amps ( as needed and automatically delivered by the device ) won't cook your battery .

JMHO .

• Like 1

ktowndave

Digger, is it possible to charge multiple batteries, as long as you wire them in series with a trickle chargers?

pacer

Some 5+ yrs ago my D180 - which came with a conventional car type batt failed. Needing to use the 180 I robbed a much smaller walmart batt off one of my other horses thinking to replace the 180 batt 'later'. Well the months rolled by and that little batt was doing a very fine job of starting that big twin. Having such good luck with that one - and they are only $30 ish . I have now got one of them that is in its 5th year, with 2-3 others in the 2-3 yr range, all in big twins.

I see digger has beat me to the wally batts  ---- For $30 and the service Ive had I'll stick with em. (NOTE: I am in the south and cold weather isnt a problem with batts)

image.png.b935c085921c37697dea21d0e1245acf.png

• Like 1

ZXT
45 minutes ago, ktowndave said:

Personally, I think they should last longer with the level of precaution you're taking.

On the mower I use to mow my grandmothers yard, I put a Duralast (Autozone) L&G battery on it in early 2011. Never disconnected, never had a battery tender on it and never charged it before mowing season. This year when I started it for the first time in probably 5 months, I got on it and it cranked slowly but started. Shut it off when I was done and tried to start it to see if it charged back - the solenoid just clicked. Lasted 8 years with no real care to it other than it being inside of an unheated garage. 

I have a Huskee mower that I don't really use but got from my grandfather to keep it from being trashed. Got it last year sometime and it hadn't been touched in over 2 years. Battery was made in 2009 and I was extremely surprised that it wasn't dead. Started it and drove it onto the trailer. Haven't touched it since I hauled it home so I'm not sure if the battery is still good. It sat under a shed with no door. No tender, not disconnected, nothing. I believe it is a Huskee (Tractor supply) battery. 

Others usually last 3-4 years sitting outside with no tender. I think the worst was a DieHard that lasted less than 2 years.

I generally buy one that has more CCA than I really need. Many lawn mower batteries will have a "HP" rating on them. I know SuperStart (Oreilly's brand) has a few different, starting at like 12 HP, then 21, and 35. The 12HP version is only like 175 CCA, while the 35HP is like 375. For the little extra price I go for the larger capacity. If the battery isn't stressed as much, the plates will be less prone to warpage which will extend the life. 

Edited by ZXT
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead

I don‘t hangin fixed on any Brands, i see a lot of cheap battery‘s ( Lead Acid Starter)  

they last longer than some Brand battery‘s

one of the mayor reason for a good battery life span is,

that the battery fit‘s to your charging system.

Sure, a battery can be down after a periode, even a Brand one,  

that can have several reasons, once product failure, or missuse, or a worse charging scenario.

There is no „100% Warranty“ how long a battery must last, sure the Seller give you a Warranty, 

but be honest, who collects the reciept for a 3 year old battery, even if it has 5 years of Warranty?

and who bring this battery after 3 years to the Seller for Warranty?

the most person i know, still didn‘t.

The get a new one and that‘s it.

A well mantained battery has the best ability to last very long,

but there is also the bad luck or ( fu** it) factor allway’s still aside.

Even defects in a product can not be excluded for sure, yes maybe best as possible but ain’t 100%.

A light rip internal can damage the usability down to zero,

because it ain’t be repaired in Vehicle batteries.

Additional a bigger battery can also be a disadvance, if the charging system ain’t able to charge it fully at seat time.

As long as the right CCA is given, sometimes a bit shorter battery ( in Ah) at short term use

can so last longer than a bigger battery, because it‘s mostly after seattime well charged.

The reason for a died battery can vary much. 

• Like 1

Digger 66
5 hours ago, ktowndave said:

Digger, is it possible to charge multiple batteries, as long as you wire them in series with a trickle chargers?

No but Battery Tender has a multiple bank unit for that ^^ 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Battery-Tender-4-Bank-Battery-Management-System/15779494?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=104&adid=22222222227010126672&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40838790152&wl4=pla-78652093832&wl5=9005511&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=15779494&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAjw3c_tBRA4EiwAICs8CgR7DDYYdnt9jUN_szZKFWNeuwEJ1lRJUxh_3hfduouR0NeJX6ICkBoCOfYQAvD_BwE

I also have a two pole pigtail hardwired to everything I have that uses a battery so I can just plug it in .

Edited by Digger 66

Jerry.Guzzi
On 10/26/2019 at 7:34 AM, ktowndave said:

I've been running a gel battery this year with know problem, bought it for one of my motorcycles.

ktowndave

Jerry, a marine battery is different than a gel. I've used gel batteries in the past for my motorcycle too and to me, they aren't worth the cost difference.

Never thought to try a gel battery on a tractor, just figured the extra $200 for a gel battery isn't worth it but if you already have one and it isn't being used, might as well do something with it.

squonk

I keep my batteries on tenders all year. When they get 3 yrs. old, I wait for a sale or coupon and replace them. You also don't need to store them on wood anymore. That went away when they started making batteries with plastic cases instead of rubber.