Stepney

Single stage snowblower horsepower

Stepney

Hello, all. Grandfather always had a neighbor plow his driveway, but apparently this year the fellow won't be doing it. The drive isn't too awful long, but it is a bit of an incline. My only blower is an ST376 off a '66 1076, which it came as a package new. I also have the cab. 

My question is this. The 1076 already has the cab brackets and ran that blower for years. But my other old style tractor (pre tach-a-matic) is an 'Electro 16'. Both tractors have hydro lifts. 

Would it be worth switching everything to the 16, or just try out the 10? Never ran a single before. Figure more power cant hurt but.. would it be worth the effort? 

WVHillbilly520H
16 minutes ago, Stepney said:

Hello, all. Grandfather always had a neighbor plow his driveway, but apparently this year the fellow won't be doing it. The drive isn't too awful long, but it is a bit of an incline. My only blower is an ST376 off a '66 1076, which it came as a package new. I also have the cab. 

My question is this. The 1076 already has the cab brackets and ran that blower for years. But my other old style tractor (pre tach-a-matic) is an 'Electro 16'. Both tractors have hydro lifts. 

Would it be worth switching everything to the 16, or just try out the 10? Never ran a single before. Figure more power cant hurt but.. would it be worth the effort? 

With the hydros you'll never be in the wrong gear so the 10hp should be fine on the single stage but if you feel the need for more then by all means convert the 16 over.

wallfish

The 10 hp will certainly throw snow but in my opinion, more hp is better for the blowers. Put it this way, you would definitely notice a difference.

Adjust your ground speed fast enough to keep the blower loaded up with snow so you can hear the load on the engine. It will clog less and throw farther. It'll take a storm or two or three for you to get used to it and you'll figure out what works best for changing snow conditions. Going too slow will clog the chute

• Like 4

WVHillbilly520H

This is what 20hp hydro will do with a 2stage in nearly 2ft of snow and my single did just as well but would clog up in the DOT plow banks at the end of the drive way...

client_PART_1537471973282_895_1.jpg

client_PART_1537471930941_897_1.jpg

• Like 1

pfrederi

I do not need  (or want) to blow snow 30' in the air.  I live on a windy hill and it would probably wind up back in the driveway.  i just need to get it out of the driveway.  The 12hp charger (Pictured) did it for several years with out any problems.  Have now switched blowing duties to the Electro 16 I guess it will go a bit faster...

Charger blowing.JPG

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
6 hours ago, pfrederi said:

I do not need  (or want) to blow snow 30' in the air.  I live on a windy hill and it would probably wind up back in the driveway.  i just need to get it out of the driveway.  

Its was closer to only 20' in the air and 30'+ to the side... And it was very windy that day and I also need to get out if the driveway but also make sure there's room for the next storms...

mrc

hi stepney, i had a single stage last year on a 312-8.  it generally did a good job. however, there were a few times more hp would have helped.   i've heard the hydro 'robs' 2-3 hp from the pto.  so you're 1076 is blowing with 7-8hp. the electro 16 would be blowing with 13-14 hp. quite a big difference IMO.   hope this helps.  best regards  mike in mass.

Rfp55

I have blown quite a bit with 36" single stages on 8 & 10 hp. Also used 16 hp with same and didn't notice difference. If you have the 42"or bigger Throwers then I expect 12 or 16 hp working better than a good 10 hp unit. My biggest need is good state of tune and strong responsive governor operation for good snappy power. Tried too long with a 8 hp tractor when the points were not adjusted right and lacked power. Blamed the poor little engine - with good points setting, carb and governor adjustments, it blew snow well unless super wet heavy snow. I resort to a 2 stage walk behind on the heart attack snow/shovel buster type.