Burnerman

My “ new” Commando 800

ebinmaine
11 hours ago, Burnerman said:

@ebinmaine has a Colossus we can try to be a “Little Excessive” it sounds better. @mrshaft696 built one, we can too

This is gunna be a fun winter project.  

Dude mine's only 23 horse.

:D

Only because I didn't have something bigger.....

Really looking forward to watching you on this project.

Could be fun.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

Burnerman

22 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:
11 hours ago, Burnerman said:

Dude mine's only 23 horse.

Yours has bigger horses though!!😁

The story behind the engine:

A few months ago a friend calls and asks if I can fix her mower. It was a loaner from another friend of hers. Cub Cadet with a timed deck. Someone installed the wrong blades on it and it had jumped time and destroyed the blades. When I go to pick it up it’s parked behind her big Sears tractor. She said she just put a new battery in it but it wouldn’t start. ( it sat outside all winter). She borrowed the cub indefinitely f to mow with so she wasn’t worried about getting the Sears fixed. I told her I could take a look at it for her but never got time to with all my projects. 
Fast forward to Sept and she sends me this picture asking if I thought I could fix it. 2E26D783-A203-45FB-A1B7-2861DD617F0E.jpeg.5341d4b3c2a0148ff4fcba76fb679a70.jpeg

She had finished mowing with the cub and parked it right behind the Sears like always, started to walk to the house to get the weedwacker. She heard a noise and turned around to see the mower in flames.  I figured that’s the end of the story. 
Then my son buys the V7 from the junkyard last week and the 7hp runs like crap, knocks and has no parts support. We decide to repower it and I remember the Sears. Lol I thought it would be long gone but her father just moved them down into the dump area on the farm. Luckily the engine and brand new battery survived the whole order unscathed. We ran the tractor carcass to the junkyard for her and brought the engine home. 
 It’s going to be a tricky fit. The steering shaft runs super close to the crank and pulley on these things. Gotta bolt it in and go over the engine and see why it wouldn’t start. If it has major issues we may abort this project but it looks promising so far. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Burnerman

It’s alive. Muuhaahaa. We used the old 3 pole switch for now. We’re going to put a switch in where the choke cable was to energize the anti backfire solenoid. 
Gotta get a longer throttle cable but we may do a foot throttle after hearing it. Lol

Gunna have to wire in a voltage regulator to the charging circuit. Jumps up to 18v when you rev it. 

Hood modifications are currently underway. 😂😂

• Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Burnerman

Got the hood to close. E1AD2176-43E5-4DA8-8DD1-15896867CDE3.jpeg.27372866e9b95ae75f9b188d2badac31.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

Could just call it “Binford” like Tim The Tool Man Taylor would have for a mower!

• Haha 2

mrshaft696
On 11/23/2019 at 7:29 PM, Burnerman said:

@ebinmaine has a Colossus we can try to be a “Little Excessive” it sounds better. @mrshaft696 built one, we can too

This is gunna be a fun winter project.  

tractor looks cool, look forward to seeing what you do with the exhaust. The front end of your tractor looks to be steel, the two horses I have that section is cast iron and it was a little trickier to redrill etc.

haha I was a few mins away from running one of those, I just decided that the opposed engine fit the theme better.....

I really wanted to run my opposed engine sideways, and let the carb and exhaust hang out the side but I would have had to relocate the battery and gas tank.....

img_2113.jpg

img_1914.jpg

• Like 2

ebinmaine
42 minutes ago, mrshaft696 said:

really wanted to run my opposed engine sideways,.... I would have had to relocate the battery and gas tank

That's going to be one of the challenges with my Colossus build.

That tractor will have the battery and gas tank moved to the front of the hood to make space for the engine and driveline.

I'm thinking that I'll keep the engine sideways and as far forward as possible and run a jackshaft to a point on the frame where the battery box used to be.

Then from there, the belt will go back to the transmission.

• Like 1

mrshaft696
13 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

That's going to be one of the challenges with my Colossus build.

That tractor will have the battery and gas tank moved to the front of the hood to make space for the engine and driveline.

I'm thinking that I'll keep the engine sideways and as far forward as possible and run a jackshaft to a point on the frame where the battery box used to be.

Then from there, the belt will go back to the transmission.

I had considered stretching the tractor because of how the front half basically unbolts from the back half, but I couldn't find another hood, and i stretched a tractor last year...so not doing it again for a long time....    So that might be something to think about.

There is not allot of room under the seat, but the battery could be relocated to the back, or mount to the back of the tractor in a battery box.

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, mrshaft696 said:

I had considered stretching the tractor because of how the front half basically unbolts from the back half, but I couldn't find another hood, and i stretched a tractor last year...so not doing it again for a long time....    So that might be something to think about.

There is not allot of room under the seat, but the battery could be relocated to the back, or mount to the back of the tractor in a battery box.

Yeah I'm doing this as kind of a unique build.

It'll be used for pulling heavy stuff around the acreage.

I want the battery and fuel tank in front for stability.

The spacer between the frame and transmission is 7" long. The whole thing will be a pretty wicked challenge and I'm looking forward to it.

Pullstart
8 hours ago, mrshaft696 said:

Um... Yeah, where are your pictures on that stretched one please?

mrshaft696
10 hours ago, pullstart said:

Um... Yeah, where are your pictures on that stretched one please?

I didnt say it was a wheel horse....but a craftsman/simplicity dump truck....it was a ton of fun, but stretching requires allot of duplicate parts like frame section & hood or other parts depending on how you want it to turn out/look.  I had a really hard time deciding to cut the old wheel horse hood, let alone hack it to pieces.

crafts11.jpg

img_1216.jpg

Edited by mrshaft696
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Pullstart

I’d like to see more of that in the other brands section... unless it’s already there?  

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

I’d like to see more of that in the other brands section... unless it’s already there?  

:text-yeahthat:

Orbie

Takes a 82x 21/32 part # gates 6982 hope this heelps