wheelwhores

HELP! WH newb - looking for recommendation

ebinmaine
38 minutes ago, dells68 said:

Wouldn’t want it too pretty anyway, I’d be afraid to use it!

I don't get too worried about that. Neither does Trina.

After we got done fully restoring her little red 657... I was giving her grief one day. I said aren't you going to be afraid to scratch it?

She says to me...

I got more paint.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

SylvanLakeWH

Good Choice!

Love the Black Hoods!!!

:ph34r:

• Like 1

wheelwhores

I really like the look of the black hoods too...i'm already on the hunt for another!

wheelwhores

does anyone have a recommendation for a WH that is more nimble and maybe a little more user friendly for mowing?

Ed Kennell

I have a couple twins...a 520H and a 417H.  They are both dedicated snow removers.   I do not use them to mow as the twins use so much fuel and throw off so much heat. 

I use a C-120H and a 312H for mowing.

They are both fuel sippers and are much cooler to operate in the summer.

IMO, a 312H with a 42 or 48 SD is the ideal mower for smaller (2 acres or less) lawns.    The 312H is also great for plowing snow and is capable of running a snow blower.

Pullstart

What is it about this one that doesn’t seem user friendly?  The hydro lever came in a couple different locations over the years.  There’s a vendor here that offers a pedal kit too for hydros tomfree up your hands too.

pfrederi
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

I have a couple twins...a 520H and a 417H.  They are both dedicated snow removers.   I do not use them to mow as the twins use so much fuel and throw off so much heat. 

I use a C-120H and a 312H for mowing.

They are both fuel sippers and are much cooler to operate in the summer.

IMO, a 312H with a 42 or 48 SD is the ideal mower for smaller (2 acres or less) lawns.    The 312H is also great for plowing snow and is capable of running a snow blower.

Complains a guy who has a cab on has snow blower :P

Ed Kennell

You mean this one Paul.  

I replaced the blower with a 48" blade.     Much quicker, quieter, and it loves the wet sloppy snow that clogs the blowers.

And no more broken windows from flying stones.

102_1187.JPG.6034cf3271de543e5245964a389535e1.JPG

102_1191.JPG.1335843707c16bad4560dc334e9f204f.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

wheelwhores
10 hours ago, pullstart said:

What is it about this one that doesn’t seem user friendly?  The hydro lever came in a couple different locations over the years.  There’s a vendor here that offers a pedal kit too for hydros tomfree up your hands too.

It just feels big.. especially for a first timer to tractor mowing on a lawn with some tight spaces

Pullstart

Maybe a short frame hydro, like an 876 or the like?  Is your 42” deck too wide?  There were 32” and 36” decks through the years as well.  @WHX24 and I acquired a pair of Horses this past fall with 36” read discharge decks.  I hauled the black hood to him at the plow day.

26841E56-EC37-4C9A-9FC4-5DA4402704BF.jpeg

FC1CFE82-E035-4419-9566-9D2E4111016D.jpeg

95655CA6-C781-4460-9F09-219DE7E147AC.jpeg

B43894CD-B10A-4590-851C-A42F15329157.jpeg

wheelwhores

it's a 48" deck, i think i may look to trade or sell and get something smaller....or just find another dedicated mower.  it's also a thirsty 18hp kohler mag and i don't need all those ponies for mowing