wheelwhores

HELP! WH newb - looking for recommendation

wheelwhores

Looking to spend $1,000 or less

Some background:  Never owned a garden tractor/rider.  I'm capable with a wrench, no expert, but i can watch videos and read manuals and figure things out....i do also have a father-in-law who is expert mechanic :)  I want my first tractor and my little girls both love red so WH it is!  In all seriousness the WH's are the right combo of affordable and tough for me....the question is which one to buy?!  How I will use: primarily a mower and snow mover (long driveway-150' single aisle).  Leaf collection with a vac cart or bagger would be nice, don't know my options here?  May occasionally haul loads of firewood up a steep and long hill (paved).  Our 1/2 acre lot is relatively flat with one small section of hill i'll need to mow driving at it straight up/down.  I DON'T GIVE A RAT'S BEHIND ABOUT LOOKS!!!!  What i want is a bomb proof machine with plenty of power to do the tasks i ask of it and something i can fix on my own and teach my girls how to turn a wrench since none of the young men of this generation seem to be worth a damn. 

My research so far seems to suggest anything in the C series is probably going to be the best option, but anything outside of the C175 seems hard to find (at least on craigslist).  If you can also provide some suggestions of issues to look for when inspecting before purchase that would be really helpful!  Ideally, i'd like to find something that was babied and pay a little extra for it, but not affraid of a beat up old dog if the price is right and its a good runner....again appearance matters little, i just want a worker.

Super excited to get my first WH!  Looking forward to the torrent of opinions to come!

Edited by wheelwhores
didn't finish
  • Like 4

ebinmaine

This is one of those subjects where a lot of different people are going to have a lot of different opinions and all of them are going to be correct.

Personally, I'm going to put in a vote for the mid-70s C Series maybe 12 or 16 horse.

Rugged. Heavily built. Easy to maintain and repair.

Your biggest issue is probably going to be traction. Not power. Fluid filled tires, chains, steel weights. Those are going to be a friend.

That's advice from a guy who lives on the side of a mountain.

Good luck with your choice.

Welcome to Red Square.

• Like 6

AMC RULES

:confusion-shrug:  W-H model 312-8 is pretty bulletproof...and typically plentiful too. 

1352463788_RS-WelcomeWagon.jpg.ea48cd61a70b0a389f9a1b73c62af583.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

The Tuul Crib

:text-welcomeconfetti:to:rs:

lve heard alot of the guys here like 

the C series . But some times they are not 

much avalible in your area. Im into the mid

to late 60s model 855. 1067 !

Good luck with your search! Keep us posted!

• Like 1

Pullstart

:text-welcomewave:

Any Wheel Horse is capable, some just more than others.  Even a 4 hp Suburban or RJ can do what you mentioned for snow, mow and wood duties... but you’d probably be happier with a 10-20 hp model for the snow blowing part... unless you plan to plow, in which an 8 hp model is even just fine.  

• Like 1

wheelwhores

wow, some how haven't even finished the post and already 4 replies!  I'm going to like being a part of this community!

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2

wheelwhores

I'm also curious what's out there for attachments?

AMC RULES

:scared-eek: Seeing a nicely priced C/L package listed there in your area now....

and it's being offered well under your 1K mark too.   :text-woo:

00J0J_73nOr5il0sx_1200x900.jpg

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

:text-welcomeconfetti:to THE :wh: forum.

As stated, lots of options there...first you have to decide if you are partial to gear drive or hydro tranny.  For what you listed, mowing and blowing, I personally would recommend a hydro for speed control and ease of use.  The C series are easy to maintain and work on, many different engine sizes and options available.  However, my recommendation would be a 300, 400, or 500 series hydro like my sons 418...

992838BA-942E-47D5-A704-244DFC6DA3B7.jpeg.d90286e2982f02367ef428c51debe93b.jpeg

PeacemakerJack
8 minutes ago, wheelwhores said:

What do you want??? Lots of them available for :wh: GT’s—that’s for sure!

• Excellent 1

The Tuul Crib
15 minutes ago, wheelwhores said:

wow, some how haven't even finished the post and already 4 replies!  I'm going to like being a part of this community!

We have a lot of fun here and you can make a lot of good friends as well! 

😎😎

• Like 3

wheelwhores
8 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

:scared-eek: Seeing a nicely priced C/L package listed there in your area now....

and it's being offered well under your 1K mark too.   :text-woo:

00J0J_73nOr5il0sx_1200x900.jpg

I jumped at this one and it had already sold by the time i found it!  Just hasn't been taken down :(

• Sad 2

Pullstart
13 minutes ago, wheelwhores said:

Various mowers, sickle bar side mowers, snow plows, snow blowers, grader blades, one bottom plows for sod, cultivators, leaf vacuums, trailers, tillers, generators, radios, etc...  some are more rare than others, but they do come up once in a while.

• Like 1

wheelwhores
6 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

What do you want??? Lots of them available for :wh: GT’s—that’s for sure!

i guess i don't know....is there a list somewhere i can browse :)  hard to know what i want without knowing what my options are....again im new to this.

The Tuul Crib

Check out facebook too

wheelwhores
10 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

:text-welcomeconfetti:to THE :wh: forum.

As stated, lots of options there...first you have to decide if you are partial to gear drive or hydro tranny.  For what you listed, mowing and blowing, I personally would recommend a hydro for speed control and ease of use.  The C series are easy to maintain and work on, many different engine sizes and options available.  However, my recommendation would be a 300, 400, or 500 series hydro like my sons 418...

992838BA-942E-47D5-A704-244DFC6DA3B7.jpeg.d90286e2982f02367ef428c51debe93b.jpeg

what are the advantages/disadvantages of the hydro vs the gear drive?  is one easier to maintain than the other?  I'd imagine the hydro is a smoother transition from gear to gear?

AMC RULES

This attachment interchange chart should give you an idea of the various :wh: attachments out there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

wheelwhores
4 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

This attachment interchange chart should give you an idea of the various :wh: attachments out there. 

Awesome thanl you!

PeacemakerJack

Hydrostatic trannys offer basically seamless transition from forward to reverse by moving the speed control lever back and forth.  You don’t have to clutch, and then select a gear.  

6CFD69B4-DC0A-4D57-B9DE-F990BBDAFD59.jpeg.6119cfc4f031282a4113609523abca86.jpeg

this is my youngest (5yrs old) driving his big brothers hydro with ease. Can’t reach the clutch pedal yet but simple for him to push/pull the hydro control lever handle!

From a dead stop to the top speed of the machine, you have infinite range.  If your lawn and driveway are situated where you need to change directions or speeds a lot, hydro is the way to go.  I love gear drives for ground engaging implements like tillers , sod plows, cultivators, etc...

Gear drives are simpler to maintain, but the Sundstrand and Eaton Hydros put in the WH GT’s are stout and last a LONG Time...

Edited by PeacemakerJack
  • Like 3

Tuneup
7 minutes ago, wheelwhores said:

what are the advantages/disadvantages of the hydro vs the gear drive?  is one easier to maintain than the other?  I'd imagine the hydro is a smoother transition from gear to gear?

The manual gear box is bullet proof and you'd have no problem repairing it yourself, if ever needed. Teach your daughters how to clutch so they can embarrass those young men that arrive in their teens. There's a reason I have 4 boys and they can all drive a manual car - dang straight!

Now, after all that, if you find a good hydro, easier to run a snow thrower - just more convenient in operation.

• Like 3

wheelwhores

deleted clist post

Edited by wheelwhores
  • Excellent 1

wheelwhores

what i want is a killer deal...i can wait a while to find the right one to bring into the family.

Tuneup

A black hood that needs its hood painted black. Sounds perfect. Someone should be by real soon to discuss that beast.

wheelwhores

i also just found a mint 312-8 (no runner - starts but won't idle - sounds like a carb issue) for $200 and seller sound motivated so maybe i can get him down a bit.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Tuneup

Easy to tinker and repair a 312-8. You and the girls will have a good time on it. A non-runner is highly negotiable, period. That 175 has a grey Kohler which suggests it's a replacement so we don't know if it's the earlier or later design and they're much more complex than the 12HP magnum. Take your time. The one you want will appear. It's not like you're in Georgia where they're as rare as hens' teeth.