wheelwhores

HELP! WH newb - looking for recommendation

wheelwhores

No updates yet.  I won't have time to give it a thorough look for a few weeks now.  I guess being in farm country and close to where WHs we manufactured maybe left a bunch here?

wheelwhores

can anyone tell me what the diffence is between the older C series 165 or 121s and the new 3, 4, and 5 series.  There is ALOT to choose from up here and i'm having too many options.  There are two super nice fully restored, a c121 and c165 in my area for around $600 with a mower deck but no other goodies....or my rust buck low hours 520h with a snow blower setup that needs a new main gear...just can decide which is for me.

pfrederi

If the 520  is "rust Bucket" 520 you better plan an a complete rewire or you will be spending a lot of time running down electrical gremlins...water time and electricity do not work well together.  Full disclosure I have about 20 WHs and do not have a 520 and after reading the electrical section here for several years I doubt i ever will get one,

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

If the 520  is "rust Bucket" 520 you better plan an a complete rewire or you will be spending a lot of time running down electrical gremlins...water time and electricity do not work well together.  Full disclosure I have about 20 WHs and do not have a 520 and after reading the electrical section here for several years I doubt i ever will get one,

:text-yeahthat: except the 20.

We have 4 now, likely 7 by next summer.

My money would be on the 165 for horsepower but the 121 for looks.

Either would treat you well.

A 16 HP is a tough strong beast of an engine.

Wiring should be comparable between the 2 and easy to figure out.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

I have read on here that "real men don't have cabs while snow blowing" so I'm gonna say  real men aren't scared of a little bit wiring ...

• Haha 3

ebinmaine
Just now, WVHillbilly520H said:

I have read on here that "real men don't have cabs while snow blowing" so I'm gonna say  real men aren't scared of a little bit wiring ...

I ain't scare't of a "little bit"  of wiring.

But a 520... ?

Scared? No.

Definitely a "slightly larger bit"  though..

:lol:

And I don't use a snow cab. And I look like an abominable snowman sometimes..

• Haha 1

wallfish
4 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I got pussified with age and use a cab now. The ol'lady doesn't get it is as regular as she used to so it's clear my manhood is definitely diminishing. Oh well, anybody got a mini cooper for sale? Might as well go all the way.

• Haha 4

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, wallfish said:

anybody got a ........ for sale? Might as well go all the way

Ya need a bright red 93 Miata ragtop....

• Haha 1

WVHillbilly520H
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

I ain't scare't of a "little bit"  of wiring.

But a 520... ?

Scared? No.

Definitely a "slightly larger bit"  though..

:lol:

And I don't use a snow cab. And I look like an abominable snowman sometimes..

I'm pretty sure you use a plow... So I guess it goes to someone else 😉... And I hate most things electrical but it didn't daunt my enthusiasm when I got the last 2 520s with hacked wiring...

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
25 minutes ago, wallfish said:

I got pussified with age and use a cab now. The ol'lady doesn't get it is as regular as she used to so it's clear my manhood is definitely diminishing. Oh well, anybody got a mini cooper for sale? Might as well go all the way.

I'm not the one who said that about the cab... I wouldn't wanna be without my cab eirher while blowing snow ever again plowing that's different...

Edited by WVHillbilly520H

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I'm pretty sure you use a plow... So I guess it goes to someone else 😉... And I hate most things electrical but it didn't daunt my enthusiasm when I got the last 2 520s with hacked wiring...

Plow on the horse yes.

Trina and I both snowblow the yard first then I plow the whole driveway to clean it up.

I have a VERY large walk-behind snowblower which is more than happy to cover me in snow given the right wind direction.

wallfish
52 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I'm not the one who said that about the cab... I wouldn't wanna be without my cab eirher while blowing snow ever again plowing that's different...

I know that because you've posted pics of it in action. Just quoted your statement for reference for my stupid post.

Maybe I'm still a little manly, no cab for the plow tractor either. Guess I can hold off on the Miata or Mini Cooper for now so thanks for bringing up the plow thing too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi

No cab for me either and the fewer wires on a tractor the better.

Ed Kennell

I got wires, a cab with heat, and a 48"plow.    Everyone needs a heated cab.....some just haven't lived long enough to realize it.

102_0504.JPG.5810a0a3204822fda498bdcffa9c4c9c.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

WVHillbilly520H

All I can say is If we all liked the same exact thing it would make for a very dull and boring world... 2 gents from PA (above) prove my point 😉.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

wheelwhores

****UPDATE***

After some heavy snow removal this weekend i stripped the drive gear on the jackshaft in my Craftsman snow blower (first and last craftsman item i will own BTW) and after some choice words for the engineers that designed the transmission on the unit i got the gear out after about an hour, welded and ground down new teeth on the stripped gear and  got it back in to get the snow job done.  This was however the final straw for me.  I'm ready to make a move and buy my first horse before the next snow.  These are the two options I've narrowed it down to and want your opinions (im attracted to the electrical simplicity of the C series):

-C165, mint condition, clearly well cared for, no hours meter, original motor, comes with a 48" deck and single stage 42" snow thrower both look in good shape.  Sold by a nice old man in his 80s who's selling his WH collection.  hydro lift and drive  asking $850  175 miles away, delivery possible

image.png.e9b4887b664d784b4c5eb266f2cd1514.png

-C175, good but not mint condition, still looks well cared for though.  Had another WH seller recommend this one from a friend after I inquired about his 520H, reported seller is trustworthy (for what its worth)  comes with a 42' deck and blade (not sure on size).  hydro trans and lift.  engine looks to be a re-powered 17hp kohler (gray not black).  asking $550 and it's only about 25 miles away.

image.png.10eab224864bf51cd16feedc58979946.png

ebinmaine

See if you can find out if that 17 horse is a series 2. I'm not sure how but others will be able to tell you. The oiling system is far superior on the series 2.

Those 17 twins sure do run nice and smooth.

Shirk

Sounds to me you have a good old fashioned dilemma. There is something to be said for something that is well taken care of by an old timer. They knew their stuff and it usually lasted. On the other hand closer and cheaper. My 2 cents, if the higher expense from more distance and higher cost isn't a factor then you would need to ask if you want a plow or a blower. On the other hand if you have something that was taken care of you should be able to continue its care and make it last just as long. But really it's what you want. Me I would go with what is in the best condition both tractor deck and attachment. That way I wouldn't have to work on it too much if any at all. But ultimately it's what you want. 

wheelwhores

***UPDATE*  I ended up going with the red engine C175 pictured above for $950.  Includes a mint plow, blower, and deck.  It's going to be under my tree on Saturday.

Any other recommendations for attachments?  I may look for a tiller, although i have a really nice honda walk behind.  Will also look for a cart and i'm for sure going to look for a bagger, preferably an on the frame type if that exists. 

I'll post some more detailed pictures of it once i get here in my garage.    Other than oil and trans fluid, anything else to check this winter before it goes into service?  Once it warms up i will give it a much more thorough going through, but it looks like it needs no help at this point.  Any tips on keeping it rust free....i saw no rust on it when i looked a few weeks ago.  We don't salt our drive so only salt it will see is in the plow piles.

• Like 2

Alex175
6 hours ago, wheelwhores said:

It's going to be under my tree on Saturday.

Merry Christmas to you!  The black hoods are fantastic tractors.  Plenty of attachments, easy to use, fairly simple to work on, and durable.  I am sure you will not be disappointed.  The question you have to start asking yourself now is, what are you going to get for your second Wheel Horse? :lol:

Edited by Alex175
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Alex175 said:

second

Second..... ????

4th

7th

?????

Shirk

When you get it home just look over it close. If you are going to change all the fluids you mite as well change fuel and air filter as well. To keep it rust free I just give mine a bath every now and then. Especially the deck and tractor during grass cutting season. Grass clippings left to build up will eat the metal up. 

• Like 1

wheelwhores

here she is, i ended up going with the c175.  So far i absolutely love it though there are many things to do this spring including a bath, all new fluids, and getting those ag tires on the right way!  My first two modifications have been new LED lights and a few changes to the plow and lift mechanism to allow for a full lift and to stop the binding that wasn't allowing the plow to make full contact with the ground.  I'll post more pictures as i get further down the road, but i can tell you this won't be my only machine.  My 3 year old daughter has been out to plow with me twice and she is absolutely over the moon when i let her drive it!

IMG_20191221_145506.jpg

• Excellent 9

Pullstart

First thing I noticed... those rear tires all backwards!  Looks great, we need pics of your baby driving it too!

• Like 1

dells68

I’ve got a C125 that we love.  Emory and I mow with it, tow with it, play with it, you name it!  My Dad even says it’s the best tractor we have.  Only issue is it is a little cosmetically challenged!  Wouldn’t want it too pretty anyway, I’d be afraid to use it!