Tach-a-matic

Is this key way too far gone?

Tach-a-matic

A new-to-me B-80 has a cracked hub right at the set screw. Based on the condition of this key way on the axle do you think it was the cause of the cracked hub, and do you think it will cause a new hub to crack just the same?

IMG-1171.jpg

953 nut

Here is a thread done by @Ed Kennell that will be helpful to you.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

It's tough to say if the worn key way caused the hub damage or if the cracked hub caused the key way to wear.

I do believe the worn key way will put more stress on a hub than a tight fitting key.   Will a new hub fail?  :confusion-shrug:

We have a member @WHX24 who adds new key ways to axles.    If your new hub only has one set screw, add a second one 90 degrees from  the existing one.

Achto
12 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

We have a member @WHX24 who adds new key ways to axles

Ooops, He will add a new key way to your hub.

You can take your axle to a machine shop & have a new key way cut into it. I would suggest a strait key way then use a strait 1/4" key.

• Confused 1

The Tuul Crib
46 minutes ago, Achto said:

Ooops, He will add a new key way to your hub.

You can take your axle to a machine shop & have a new key way cut into it. I would suggest a strait key way then use a strait 1/4" key.

:text-yeahthat:

Tach-a-matic

Thanks guys

Out of all things to fix on this machine. this axle issue has me spooked the most. The K181 Kohler runs like a top though! (such amazing engines)

IMG-1149.jpg

IMG-1155.jpg

IMG-1152.jpg

Edited by Tach-a-matic

pacer

WOW!! that is GNARLEY!

I would in no way put another hub/key on that wallowed out mess. Either get another keyway cut or get another axle --- and an Ed mentioned while youre there add at least one other set screw. When I go into an axle/hub I add 2 more set screws for a total of 3 -- it is just too common a problem not to take precautions.

• Like 1