DeD

New Member with sad Wheel horse

DeD

New member, I'm hoping I can get some help here fixing my broken Wheel Horse up.

Its been a great work horse, Get it work horse, wheel horse. Anyways...

I have a C-160 8 speed with a Kohler engine.

I use it for pulling a trailer to haul firewood, rocks, dirt and wood chips.

Its broke down again Yesterday.

I'm going to post a new thread in the right place about mmy issues.

I'm also confused about model numbers

The tag on my tractor lists it as Model 1 038T. 

Is there an equivalent Tor model number and can I tell model year by this?

I bought it about 20 years ago and I seem to remember being told its a 1976 model.

any way to tell if that's right?

Thanks all!!

ebinmaine

Welcome to Red Square!

The model you have is my favorite. Search Cinnamon Horse and you'll find mine.

Perhaps the T is a 1?

Tons of people on here... we'll get you fixed up. No worries.

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

Perhaps you have a 1975 model 1-0381.

This is everything we have on this model except for engine and transmission manuals.

In 1976 the model numbers were like 61-16K801.

Look through them all because with this type of link they are mixed up.

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/search/?&q="1-0381"&type=downloads_file&search_and_or=or

Garry

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Provided the sheet metal has never been changed a 1975 would have a hood ornament and a 1976 should not

JCM

:text-welcomeconfetti:  To RED SQUARE     You have a great Model , a favorite among many Members on here. You also have found the Best place to ask questions, and I dare to say that many of the members may even know more about Wheelhorse than they do their wives or girlfriends for  that matter?

• Haha 5

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, JCM said:

and I dare to say that many of the members may even know more about Wheelhorse than they do their ... girlfriends

:ROTF:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Ed Kennell

I don't know how close you are to Princeton, Wi., but  Jim may have a 1 1/8" hub.  @WHX24

• Like 1

DeD

Thanks all.

I guess mine is a '75 its got a hood ornament, if you call this a hood ornament.

Here is a close up of the model and serial numbers, hard to see but the last digit really looks like a "T".

Of course the workers could of lost the "1" and used a "T" instead, not the first time that's sort of thing has happened.

I also have some sheet metal work to repair the frame is cracked thru and the rear mounts for the seat are bad. one is completely cracked off and the other one has a crack that maybe hard to see but its on its way.

Lucky I caught these cracks otherwise the seat would of broken off and I'd land on my back somewhere with the tractor racing off in the woods.

PA070249.JPG

PA070251.JPG

PA070252.JPG

PA070253.JPG

PA070254.JPG

• Like 1

DeD
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

I don't know how close you are to Princeton, Wi., but  Jim may have a 1 1/8" hub.  @WHX24

I'm about 1 1/2 hours away.

I'm all for using a used hub in decent shape, anyone know of any?

Thanks

ebinmaine

What you have in cracks in the sheet metal you make up for in having a perfect headlight lens.

Edited by ebinmaine
  • Like 2

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:

Much easier to fix broken frames than broken headlight lens.

• Like 2

DeD

Don't be telling me about having good headlight lenses.

You'll get me thinking of parting the beast out and replacing it.

I've thought about it before.

about 2 years ago I killed the engine, turned out the piston broke allowing the rod 1/2 to continue up and down while the top of the piston stayed up in the head.

I was pulling a homemade drag working up about 2 acres of land for planting a prairie restoration. After about 4-5 hours of pulling the engine stopped putting out power although the crank/flywheel was still turning.  I guess that was too much for the old beast.

I had to rent a small diesel tractor to finish the job.

A new piston and its been going strong again.

I have to admit I'm unable to find a replacement and my wifes John Deere lawn tractor isn't 1/2 the tractor this old wheel horse is.

• Like 4

ebinmaine
17 minutes ago, DeD said:

anyone know of any?

@WHX24 Jim or @Achto  may know.

@A-Z Tractor sells them as well.

ebinmaine
Just now, DeD said:

Don't be telling me about having good headlight lenses.

You'll get me thinking of parting the beast out and replacing it.

I've thought about it before.

about 2 years ago I killed the engine, turned out the piston broke allowing the rod 1/2 to continue up and down while the top of the piston stayed up in the head.

I was pulling a homemade drag working up about 2 acres of land for planting a prairie restoration. After about 4-5 hours of pulling the engine stopped putting out power although the crank/flywheel was still turning.  I guess that was too much for the old beast.

I had to rent a small diesel tractor to finish the job.

A new piston and its been going strong again.

I have to admit I'm unable to find a replacement and my wifes John Deere lawn tractor isn't 1/2 the tractor this old wheel horse is.

Apples to oranges comparison.

More like apples to grapes.

A Wheelhorse isn't just a tractor. It's equipment.

Repairable and maintainable.

I regularly pull some over 1000 lbs with the Cinnamon Horse. (74 C-160)

We move stones, wood, gravel etc, Plow the snow....

Trina uses her 867 to grade the driveway.

Great machines. Fix it up and keep her running.

They're far from the disposable wonders available today.

• Like 2

DeD
5 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Great machines. Fix it up and keep her running.

They're far from the disposable wonders available today.

I realize that, that's why I'm working at repairing it.

The cost of repairs are usually very little compared to finding something that could replace it.

Biggest issue is finding parts. its what will eventually kill many of these things.

ebinmaine
17 minutes ago, DeD said:

Biggest issue is finding parts

That's actually not as much of a problem as most people think.

You just kind of have to know who to ask.

There's the above-listed salvage yard and there's another one called almost heaven or something like that.

Many of us keep our own private salvage yards, so to speak.

New parts availability is still very good for these as well.

Common parts that wear out often are readily available but may not be called Toro or Wheel Horse.

A good example of that would be the starter solenoid which you can use from an old Ford F-150.

• Like 1

Yossarian
6 hours ago, JCM said:

I dare to say that many of the members may even know more about Wheelhorse than they do their wives or girlfriends for  that matter?

This is true, my wife hardly knows anything about Wheelhorses B)

Welcome RedSquare.  I just got here a bit ago and this place is pretty awesome.

WHX??

:WRS: DeD

That split  in the hood stand is very common with us. Truth be told I've never see one separated tho but I've always caught them and repaired long before it came to that. When I rub down my horses I always look for an issue in that area. We always supected if was from a deck hanging off that side but???? 

I guess is what I am saying is you should be looking for troubles before they start and it sounds like this one got away on you abit so your own fault.

In as much as our horses are pretty tough tractors they still need maintenance. I think you may have an @$$ chewing coming guy for riding her hard and putting her away wet guy! 

As far as parts yes EB is right for once in his life.. if you can't find parts you ain't lookin. I found  RS here a couple of years ago in a search for tractor parts for a  very homely and needing  1067  way older than yours and ended up up with with more models than I can even show love for. Thanks to RS and perseverance I hit more than a few home balls. 

Sorry no 118 hubs on hand..... looking  for a few my self ... a few 1 inches on  hand tho. I can also do custom hub reworking if needed and they are saveable.

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 2

Achto
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

@WHX24 Jim or @Achto  may know.

Sad to say that I am also 1 1/8" id hub deficient. I would check with A to Z, or place an add in the wanted section.

• Like 2

roadapples

I know 1 1/8" hubs aren't that scarce yet, but in a pinch could a 1" hub be reamed out and a new keyway cut????

@WHX24

Edited by roadapples
  • Like 2

JCM

I also had the split on my 77 C-120-8 at the same location on the bottom of the hoodstand and had a friend of mine weld it, this tractor was used with a tiller for many years and I was thinking this may have been the cause of that issue ?

• Like 1

Achto
7 hours ago, roadapples said:

I know 1 1/8" hubs aren't that scarce yet, but in a pinch could a 1" hub be reamed out and a new keyway cut????

Jim & I had this discussion once. We measured some 1" i.d. hubs & found that the o.d. was also smaller. Given this fact I have fears about the hub wall getting too thin. It would probably work out fine for a trailer queen, but I don't think that I would trust it on a worker.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

JoeM
47 minutes ago, Achto said:

Jim & I had this discussion once. We measured some 1" i.d. hubs & found that the o.d. was also smaller. Given this fact I have fears about the hub wall getting too thin. It would probably work out fine for a trailer queen, but I don't think that I would trust it on a worker.

I have used a 1 inch hub that was bored .002 interference fit because the 1 1/8" axle was worn .003 under size. The 1" hub I used was the same thickness as the 1 1 /8" hub. There are some of the older ones that are thinner and I would not use those. That bored hub is on a FEL machine now for a couple years, no issues. Replace the seal, warmed the hub and tapped it on.

You may want to look at ED's keyway repair thread, it's pretty good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2