Robert K

Headlights

Robert K

Just installed new 6000K 900 lumen lamps up front. My question is the lights only work while engine is running. Seem to be directly ran from the magneto. Flash and flutter at low idle. Shouldn't they not be running of the charging side as they seem to be? 

pfrederi

Sounds like you have a 300 or 400 series some of which came with 3 amp unregulated charging systems.  (WH went cheap)  You are feeding 12 volt AC to your lamps direct from the stator.  You need to rewire from your battery or ignition switch Acc terminal.  Keep in mind the charging system is only putting 3 amps into teh battery so watch how much light drain you put in it especially if you have a battery ignition

• Like 3

Robert K

Copy. So I need to isolate the headlamp wire going to ignition and run it to the battery. Is that correct? I went LED to also help with voltage draw. Thanks!

pfrederi

What model do you have and what type of motor..Magnum of K series.  We need to be careful here if it is a Magnum then one of the wires from the engine is the kill wire.  If you put voltage on that you can fry your magneto.  There should be three wires from the engine.  One feeds the head light switch  the other goes to the ignition switch R terminal to charge battery.  The third is the kill wire for a Magnum or the coil feed for the K seies

• Like 1

953 nut

You are facing a couple of issues. Most LED lights intended for automotive use are DC and it sounds like you have an AC light power source.

If you remove the wire feeding the light switch (see drawing below) and replace it with a wire from the key switch "A" terminal as Paul suggested.

508726570_312withAClights..jpg.fc0bb9ca314d4336d11c6dd1ab4aaf8d.jpg

• Like 1