Thomas L

How to wire shut-off on breakerlless ignition raider 10

Thomas L

I have a raider 10 1969 Kohler with a breakerlless ignition. The ignition lock has been replaced and the problem I have is that engine won't shut off by key lock in "stop" position. How to wire it correctly? 

pfrederi

Are you sure yo have the correct ignition switch.  it should have an "M" terminal also make sure the switch base is grounded.  If those are correct then the wire from the M terminal goes to the wire that goes into the coil. They are piggy backed just before the coil. 

953 nut

:WRS:

Is your ignition switch body grounded? Turning off the ignition is accomplished by grounding it. Has the wiring on your tractor been modified?

Thomas L
8 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Are you sure yo have the correct ignition switch.  it should have an "M" terminal also make sure the switch base is grounded.  If those are correct then the wire from the M terminal goes to the wire that goes into the coil. They are piggy backed just before the coil. 

I know the switch is not original, it is a Bosch with 8 connectors. I have seen writings about the "risk" in wiring the breakerlless ignition wrong so I don't want to burn it by adding a cable without being sure. There is only one white cable coming out from behind the cooling cover. I Will now remove the cover and look if the "piggy back" is left inside. Thanks for good info. //THOMAS L 

gwest_ca

All is not lost if you do not have an M terminal on the switch. This terminal is grounded to the tractor chassis in the OFF key position.

Alternately the switch will have am I (eye) terminal to send battery power to an ignition coil. You can use this circuit to control a relay that will open the ignition wire to allow the breakerless coil to operate in the RUN key position and ground the breakerless coil in the OFF position to shut it off.

Wheel Horse did this for a few years when they used Briggs & Stratton engines with magneto ignition like you have and Kohler engines with battery ignition which required battery power to power the coil. They often referred to it as a "kill relay". The design standardized most of the wiring on the tractors at the time.

What is required is a terminal on the ignition switch that is battery powered in the RUN and START key positions only if it is a switch with 3 key positions for OFF, RUN and START.

Some tractor ignition switches have a 4th key position giving a RUN with ACCESSORIES option.

It is the RUN position that will control a relay for the ignition.

Given your location this may be an easier option for you.

Garry

953 nut

Considering the alterations that have been made to your wiring I would suggest starting over with new wiring and a new switch. This drawing should be helpful.

932690582_triggerignitionndrawing.jpg.0987aaa1ec5e13bde7681e4912460efc.jpg

gwest_ca

Here is how an added relay would work.

Garry

Mag ign relay 1.jpg

Mag ign relay 2.jpg