McGrew

Help! Techy Quit Charging

McGrew

Hi guys, need some help.  I was using my 71 Raider 10 this morning to haul trimmings off the bushes.  I noticed it was sluggish when starting, but it has been a couple weeks since I last used it.  Long story short, it is not charging.  I know the charging system worked fine last year when I put in a new battery.  Not been any issues since.  This tractor was repowered years ago with an HH140 14 HP Techy.  Engine runs great, so I need to resolve the charging problem.  So, where do I start?  I know the ignition module in those engines are a problem, but does this affect the charging as well?  I will look at the service manual, but was hoping someone in this group could give me a few pointers on the more common charging failures.  Thanks in advance!  Danny

ZXT

I'd clean all of the connections at the ammeter and at the voltage regulator first. The HH120 on my C120 didn't charge, and I figured that the stator was bad. The starter went bad on it a few months into owning it so I yanked the engine and put a Kohler on it. Still didn't charge. Cleaned all of the connections and it started charging as it should. If that fails, test the stator and voltage regulator. I believe you just need to check for AC voltage at the two pins coming from the stator while the engine is running. I'm not sure what the procedure is for the regulator.

Edited by ZXT

McGrew

Thank you ZXT.  I will look into it this evening.   I’m hoping it is a bad connection, but that is not usually my luck.  This tractor does not have an ammeter, so that is two less connections to clean!  Danny

gwest_ca

This 1968 service bulletin was produced to familiarize those servicing the charging systems.

Tecumseh service manual

Garry

McGrew

OK, I took a look at the wiring.   I see no problems, and checked the AC voltage with the rectifier unplugged.  I got 25 volts, and thought I was in good shape...  Then I pulled up the service manual.  It says if I am getting less than 32 volts at 2500 rpm, the stator is bad.  Only problem is I have no idea what the rpm’s were...  Guess I need to get my tach out and test it again,,,  ARGGHHH...  Danny

McGrew

Garry, Thank you!  I think the manual you posted is the same one I saved on my desktop.  This engine was pirated out of a Bolens tractor, and I have questions whether this thing has the 10 amp system or the 20 amp...  Hard to test these things when you don’t know what the output should be...  Does anyone know how to tell the difference?  Danny

gwest_ca

I believe the position of the regulator terminals identify the amperage output.

I often see 15 amp regulators for less money than 10 amp versions probably a result of supply and demand.

You can use a 15 amp on a 10 amp system but not the other way around.

Garry

McGrew

Okay...   Garry, Than answers the question of which regulator I have.  Mine is the 10 amp variety, and I believe the regulator is original to the tractor.  My Dad bought this tractor new in 1971, and I don’t think the regulator was ever changed.  But...  Always a “but”, right?  My brother put a 14 HP HH140 in this tractor about 24 years ago.  If the new engine had the 20 amp stator, I’m guessing we might have fried the regulator?  But keep in mind, this thing worked for the last 24 years....  Maybe I have the correct 10 amp stator...  I need to do more research.  Danny

new2horses

Danny,

My experience has been that it is most likely a bad connection at the switch. Look for rusted lugs and signs of overheating. A good cleaning and probably a new ignition switch should rectify the problem.

David

• Like 1

McGrew

Okay guys, thanks for all the suggestions.  I went through the diagnostics on the service manual Garry supplied.  I only get a little over 5 VDC on the DC output of the regulator.  All connections are good.  I get 24VAC from the stator.  The service manual says this is good.  Soooo,,,  the regulator is bad.  I just ordered one from Ebay.  It should be here Friday.  It replaces the Tecumseh 610749, so I have my fingers crossed it fits...  Thanks again!  Danny

• Like 1

McGrew

While waiting for the new regulator to arrive, I have had time to think...  Dangerous, I know...  I have been wondering why the regulator died now.  Now I realize it could have gone belly up at any time just based on its age, but i don’t believe in coincidence.  I recently added a winch to the front of this tractor (more on that in another thread).  This is not a small winch, and draws quite a bit of amperage. When it is on the tractor, it is wired directly to the battery.  Due to the high amp draw, I only use the winch when the engine is running.  This tractor has only one fuse, and I am not even sure what it protects, as it an inline fuse coming off the cigarette lighter.  That said, could the winch have hastened the demise of the regulator trying to keep the battery charged?  Would adding a fuse on the DC side of the regulator help protect it?  Assuming this tractor has a 10 amp charging system, use a 12-15 amp fuse?  Thanks for any thoughts!  Danny

McGrew

Nobody has any thoughts or ideas?   Do I smell bad?  Did I make you guys mad?   I hope not!    On a sorta related subject, do you think I should send a complaint letter to the manufacturer of the voltage regulator?   It is stamped REPCO, and has a date of 4-70 on it.   It only lasted 49 years!   Tractor is a 1971, so I am guessing it is the original.   Danny

IMG_1464.jpg