ronhatch

TROUBLE READING DIP STICK

ronhatch

I've always had trouble reading the dip stick on my 867 and C 101 Kohler engines. Now that I'm 76, it's even harder, not to mention the screw-in design is a PITA!  I know that's because of the pulse fuel pump.  My Onan powered Case has a pulse fuel pump and the dip stick is a regular pull out style all though it's a tight fit. Any ideas on making it easier to read/check the oil?  Maybe I should use dirty oil? :huh:

• Haha 1

formariz

I agree. It is very hard and frustrating to read the round dipsticks. I have modified mine by grinding a flat on one side and painting that area black. I grind the flat with a coarse stone so it leaves a real rough surface to catch oil.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

pacer

I have the same trouble  -- maybe because I'm homing in on 80yrs??

But seriously, I take my propane torch and slightly heat the tip to a brown/blue.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

prondzy

After you pull out the dipstick lay it on a paper towel in you hand, it will give you an indication of the level when next to the dipstick

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

adsm08

Sorry to bust the "I'm just old" bubble, but that's not why it's hard. I'm only 33 and I have trouble reading them too, and I don't even have vision problems.

The round ones are just hard to read, and the screw-in style doesn't help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

953 nut

Like @prondzy said, lay the dip stick against a clean sheet of cardboard or paper and the oil level will be able to be seen.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Correct me if I am wrong or mis-understand.  I am thinking that the round screw in dip sticks should just be set on the collar to get an oil reading...not screwed in and then screwed back out.  I know they are tough to read anyway.  That is the way Tecumseh's and "K" series Kohlers are.  I like the scuffing and black paint idea.  :eusa-think:

• Like 1

pfrederi

K singles with a screw in dip stick are read NOT screwed in.  Techys with screw in are read screwed in.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Wonder if a sandblasted surface would hold onto the oil better?

Dull above the oil level and shiny below.

Garry

Eric Friedrichsen

I use a 5/16" wood dowel stick. Put them side by side and scribe a line on the wood dowel in the same position as the full mark

on the round stick. Then scribe another line where the round stick fastens into the plug. Cut off the stick about 3" longer than

where it is scribed as the top of the stick. Mark this end as the top. For scribing the line I use a tubing cutter.

Whenever you want to check the oil take the round metal stick out and stick the wood dowel into the case until the top mark is

flush with the crankcase. Even with new oil a clear mark is left on the wood dowel. Wipe the dowel off and save it in your

special tool drawer to use any time you wish to check your oil. Obviously this only works with engines that have the same length dipsticks

Eric.

• Like 6

ronhatch

In the past I have temporarily wrapped a piece of masking tape around it while checking the oil, but yesterday I did what Eric did with the wood dowel, EXCEPT I used Tinker Toys!  I used the longest dowel and pushed it through a tinker toy spool so the dowel matched the length of the round  dip stick and then using my 'Special Sharpie' (:roll:) put a  'full' mark on it.  The spool acts as a stop.  I loved Tinker Toys when I was a kid and still do! 

Edited by ronhatch
  • Like 1

pfrederi

Don;t change the oil very often it will be plenty dark enough to read it easily:P

• Haha 2

bc.gold

If the dipstick is made from flat material use a very small drill to make a hole at the full mark with another at mid range and the lowest level mark.

Any hole reaching an oil level will fill with oil giving you a visual.

Also you could install a small screws with a large head into the newly drilled holes. any screw head reaching oil will drag out more oil also retain some oil around the head.

Dipsticks made from flexible borden cable were always easy to read as oil would cling to the cable were it met with oil.

Edited by bcgold

ronhatch

Not a problem reading the flat dipsticks, it's the round ones I'm talking about.  My Onan powered Case that has a pulse fuel pump, has a flat Dipstick that simply pulls in and out.  Of course, it does fit snug in the tube so the fuel pump works. 

AHS
On 9/15/2019 at 4:19 PM, pfrederi said:

K singles with a screw in dip stick are read NOT screwed in.  Techys with screw in are read screwed in.

I have only seen 10 hp kohlers with the screw in style, they are rare but out there.

Dirtdog524

My 12 hp Kohler has the screw in style. it is from a Raider 12

Stormin

I've just serviced the Petter diesel engine on my sawbench. That has a round push in dipstick and not the best to read with new oil. I just dip, remove and hold horizontal. I then just dab with a finger, starting at the top end, till oil shows on my finger. Repeat till the full mark is reached.