KROB

1054 Differential Problem

KROB

My 1054 suddenly stopped pulling my small trailer. Checked all the obvious keys and shaft movement and determined the problem to be internal. Jacked the rear end and ran the tractor in gear. Tractor wheels turned but could be stopped by gently pushing on the tire. Pulled the tranny and opened it up. The inside components all look brand new with very little evidence of wear. Found the differential to be the issue. Held one axle and turned the other freely. Opened the 4 nuts on the differential expecting to see the issue. All gears look perfect. No idea why there is no connection between the two axles. Anyone with any ideas?

P9140004.JPG

P9140005.JPG

P9140006.JPG

P9140007.JPG

P9140008.JPG

P9140009.JPG

Edited by KROB
typos

953 nut
4 hours ago, KROB said:

Found the differential to be the issue. Held one axle and turned the other freely.

:WRS:

You were able to turn one axle without the other axle or the differential bull gear turning, is that right? Do you have a broken axle? In your pictures the Left axle is not out of the transmission, has it been inspected?

4 hours ago, KROB said:

Jacked the rear end and ran the tractor in gear. Tractor wheels turned but could be stopped by gently pushing on the tire.

Reading this statement my first thought was that the input pulley that drives the transmission may have lost a key and was spinning on the shaft though that is uncommon. When you stopped one wheel did the one on the other side continue turning? Was it the same on both sides?

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I'm looking at your pictures and I do not see anything wrong.  Depending on how you explained some of the things you tried, that is exactly what is supposed to happen.  The differential gears look brand new.  Maybe bolt that differential back together...if you then turn one axle, the other should turn in the opposite direction. If you are just holding the differential in your hands...not in the trans case...turning one of the axles will turn the other one in the opposite direction, and you will not be able to hold one from turning.  If this is true, your differential is fine.

If the differential is in the trans case and you are turning the trans from the input shaft, then you can hold one of the axles and the other will turn.  This is what a differential does.

I'm thinking Richard is correct about the input shaft key...if both of the wheel hub keys were OK.  Don't forget...you have a key on the engine drive pulley also.

BTW...welcome to Red Square.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

:text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:

best tractor site on the planet!!

Hands down!!

oliver2-44

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Give these guys some more feedback, and they will get you going. This is definitely the RED helpful place.

KROB
20 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

I'm looking at your pictures and I do not see anything wrong.  Depending on how you explained some of the things you tried, that is exactly what is supposed to happen.  The differential gears look brand new.  Maybe bolt that differential back together...if you then turn one axle, the other should turn in the opposite direction. If you are just holding the differential in your hands...not in the trans case...turning one of the axles will turn the other one in the opposite direction, and you will not be able to hold one from turning.  If this is true, your differential is fine.

If the differential is in the trans case and you are turning the trans from the input shaft, then you can hold one of the axles and the other will turn.  This is what a differential does.

I'm thinking Richard is correct about the input shaft key...if both of the wheel hub keys were OK.  Don't forget...you have a key on the engine drive pulley also.

BTW...welcome to Red Square.  :occasion-xmas:

Thanks for the reply. All keys were perfect when the pulleys were remover. I did bolt the differential back together and tried holding one side while turning the other, found no connection between them. Took the differential apart again to inspect the shaft and gears, the splines look perfect. Tried to pull axles out of the differential gear without removing the roll pins and they appear to be solidly  attached. 

KROB
21 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:

You were able to turn one axle without the other axle or the differential bull gear turning, is that right? Do you have a broken axle? In your pictures the Left axle is not out of the transmission, has it been inspected?

Reading this statement my first thought was that the input pulley that drives the transmission may have lost a key and was spinning on the shaft though that is uncommon. When you stopped one wheel did the one on the other side continue turning? Was it the same on both sides?

Belt guard was removed and belt was running, Could only get one hub off easily. I could stop both wheel by gently holding both tires when jacked. Did not try holding the bull gear while checking each axle. Tractor is at my cottage so not available until my next visit.  

stevasaurus

It seems like you are saying...when holding a bolted together differential and turning one of the axles, the other one does not turn. ??  That can only mean, if the axles are not broke, the gears are not meshing inside the differential.  Down load the OM IPL in the first manual...and the pages in the big manual.

You should have thrust washers on the back side of the axle gears.  With the differential open, try turning the one axle and see if the teeth mesh with the pinions...the axle gear must turn those gears or we need to find out why.  Pay attention to what the manual says about the long and short axles and the long and short end plates and having the bolts or bolt holes facing in a certain direction...and which axle goes into the shallow side of the transmission case.  :orcs-cheers:

In this manual, look at page 22 for directions and pages 25 & 26 for picture and parts list.

• Like 1

KROB
On 9/17/2019 at 12:37 PM, stevasaurus said:

It seems like you are saying...when holding a bolted together differential and turning one of the axles, the other one does not turn. ??  That can only mean, if the axles are not broke, the gears are not meshing inside the differential.  Down load the OM IPL in the first manual...and the pages in the big manual.

You should have thrust washers on the back side of the axle gears.  With the differential open, try turning the one axle and see if the teeth mesh with the pinions...the axle gear must turn those gears or we need to find out why.  Pay attention to what the manual says about the long and short axles and the long and short end plates and having the bolts or bolt holes facing in a certain direction...and which axle goes into the shallow side of the transmission case.  :orcs-cheers:

In this manual, look at page 22 for directions and pages 25 & 26 for picture and parts list.

I have now determined that my differential is OK as I was not holding the bull gear when turning the axles. I have manually shifted into each gear and turned the assembly finding all gears mesh properly and turn the gears properly. I am trying to put the case back together so I can test the unit without adding any oil. Case stops about 1/2 inch from meeting. Any idea what may be out of place?

• Like 1

19richie66

Bearing maybe out of place, keyway not lining up, gear not meshing or sitting on shaft correctly. :confusion-shrug:  Too small of a hammer :laughing-rolling:

• Haha 1

stevasaurus

Do not hit it with a hammer.  Lift the 1/2 case back off and make sure all shafts are all of the way down and standing straight.  Most times it just takes a little wiggling of the case to get it to fall the rest of the way.  Just wiggle and twist gently.:occasion-xmas:

When you do get it back together, test in all gears by turning the input shaft counter clock-wise.  One axle will turn for sure, but you may see both axles turn just because it wants to.

19richie66

Just kiddin’ Steve :D

• Haha 1

953 nut
5 hours ago, KROB said:

Case stops about 1/2 inch from meeting. Any idea what may be out of place?

Could be the alignment pins are not quite lined up. give a little wiggle and turn the input or brake shaft as you do it.

• Thanks 1