"Manic-Mechanic"

4.00-8 Deestone D401 Tri-rib 3 Rib Tires & Tubes 4 ply

"Manic-Mechanic"

I have been looking hard a set of these tri-rib tires. Thinking "I need to find a set of narrow rims?" Well, I hope to dispel this thought and maybe someone can help me here? Couldn't I get away with these mounted on the standard front wheel? Especially with tubes?

Oldman

4.0-8.jpg

Edited by oldman

ebinmaine
20 minutes ago, oldman said:

Especially with tubes?

That's the part that's going to help you put them on different types of rims.

Using tubes of course will expand the tire a little further than just trying to catch the bead being tubeless.

I'll check the width on Trina's Pony tractor in a little while.

Hers is a 657 so it would have the narrow rims but I don't know why you couldn't put those on 70's vintage rim with a tube.

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

If you save that pic and blow it up, you can see its not a picture of 4.80-8 tires. They 12 or 15's, I couldn't tell. 4.80-8's will fit what you want with tubes I'm pretty sure. 

Randy

• Like 2

ebinmaine

I went out and measured the front wheels on Trina's Pony. The restored red tractor. She was going for a baby farm tractor kind of look on that one and she really wanted those 4.80 - 8 tri rib tires.

The tires themselves are just about even with the rim and I think those are what you would consider to be a 3.5 wide rim so the actual width is about 4" to the outside of the lip.

I have a 1974 or 5 C 100 here in the waiting to be restored section.

That one has 6.5 wide tires but they bulge a bit on both sides so the rim is probably 4.5 or 5 wide.

I see no reason why those tri ribs you want would not fit on a slightly wider rim such as what would use a 16 x 6.5 x 8.

They would likely bulge out a bit on the sides.

• Excellent 1

Lee1977

I put mine on 3" wide tub trailer rims, but I had to shorten the hubs as they were 4  1/4" wide and the later Wheel Horse front rims have 3 3/4" hubs. 3" or 4" wide  rims work best with destone 400 x 8 . 

Greater Cleveland Tire has two 400 x 8 4 ply  tri ribs for $37. I got my last Dec. I believe the tries and shipping was around $54. That was with out tubes, I already had tubes.

SAM-0871.jpg

Edited by Lee1977

"Manic-Mechanic"
25 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

I put mine on 3" wide tub trailer rims, but I had to shorten the hubs as they were 4  1/4" wide and the later Wheel Horse front rims have 3 3/4" hubs. 3" or 4" wide  rims work best with destone 400 x 8 . 

Greater Cleveland Tire has two 400 x 8 4 ply  tri ribs for $37. I got my ast Dec. I believe the tries and shipping was around $54. That was with out tubes, I already had tubes.

SAM-0871.jpg

I see the trailer rims would be great! The front axle on the 1964-5 1045 are 4-1/2 long

Edited by oldman

"Manic-Mechanic"
7 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

If you save that pic and blow it up, you can see its not a picture of 4.80-8 tires. They 12 or 15's, I couldn't tell. 4.80-8's will fit what you want with tubes I'm pretty sure. 

Randy

I grabbed the picture on the e bay ad without even looking closer, good eye! Here is a more appropriate representation:

tires tri.jpg

• Like 1

RandyLittrell
1 minute ago, oldman said:

I grabbed the picture on the e bay ad without even looking closer, good eye! Here is a more appropriate representation:

tires tri.jpg

I have bought quite a few pairs of them and thought they looked way too skinny. With tubes, I think you could spread them out on 6" wide rims. I think WH wide rims are narrower than 6" 

Randy

• Thanks 1

The Tuul Crib

Here's my set on the front of my 1067. There's a 4" x 8" rims with tubes. These don't have any bulge to them . 

E95D2C25-70F8-4FE4-A2AF-0FAE0B72D6C5.jpeg

7C42EB2F-C951-4371-9665-3C38D9C34333.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

"Manic-Mechanic"
2 hours ago, The Tool Crib said:

Here's my set on the front of my 1067. There's a 4" x 8" rims with tubes. These don't have any bulge to them . 

E95D2C25-70F8-4FE4-A2AF-0FAE0B72D6C5.jpeg

7C42EB2F-C951-4371-9665-3C38D9C34333.jpeg

What is the width of your axle then on that Tractor?

The Tuul Crib
Just now, oldman said:

What is the width of your axle then on that Tractor?

Not sure of the length but it has a washer and a color pen on the end.

Gordyhogg

Heres my deestone tri ribs on my commando 8 i love em and they look great, perform great, and the price was unbeatable. They are also 4.00 x 8spacer.png

20190529_180008.jpg

IMG_20190405_094318_992.jpg

Edited by Gordyhogg
  • Like 4