D_Mac

Picked up another little pony... Work Horse 832

D_Mac

Yeah I live in the city. I cut my grass with a push mower that takes me all of 10 mins. I started working on the 1965 REO SKIFF the other day. Took the rear axle with gear box out. Cracked it open and found my problem. The fork broke off the gear selector shaft. Also one of the bearings on top is bad. I found a new gear selector rod but having a little trouble with the bearings. The bearings I am pulling out are not sealed. The bearings I am finding to replace are. Im thinking it shouldnt make a difference am I wrong?

20181005_182546_resized.jpg

20190917_164406.jpg

20190917_164448.jpg

20190917_165904.jpg

20181005_182534_resized.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, D_Mac said:

. The bearings I am pulling out are not sealed. The bearings I am finding to replace are. Im thinking it shouldnt make a difference am I wrong

I'll be curious to see what the experts say but the only problem I can see with that is if the oil or grease needs to flow THROUGH the bearing you are replacing to get to something else such as another bearing.

I have had some sealed bearings in the past that I was able to remove the side covers so as to be able to lube to them.

Marketed as sealed. Certainly were not. More like dust-resistant or something.

• Like 1

Pullstart

Wow, that gear shift lever was jammed hard!  I’d imagine that grease isn’t flowing very far, just keeping lubed parts lubed.  Sealed or not, I’m sure it wouldn’t matter!

ACman

I’m really digging the workhorse silver. I say go with the 8” wheels and ags . I had plans for my A81 turning into a electric wheelchair but then I seen the rear axle with the chain sprocket with differential . I already have a brand new 6.5hp Predator and was thinking about a  go kart tour converter set up. Wouldn’t that be a wild ride :auto-swerve:. Now I know that will never happen for me giving my situation but would like to see one done.

Stormin

With the bearings in the box, I'd discard the seals. As said, let grease/oil flow through. I've never liked sealed for life bearings. Outlived to many. Neat little mower BTW. :thumbs:

D_Mac

One other thing once I start removing all the old grease and cleaning everything inside any suggestions on what I should lube everything up with when putting it all back together?

ebinmaine
42 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

One other thing once I start removing all the old grease and cleaning everything inside any suggestions on what I should lube everything up with when putting it all back together?

Any manuals available?

D_Mac

Only thing it says in the manual is " The transmission has been packed at the factory with special lubricant and should need no further attention"  Then it just says " grease" at the grease fittings. I want to clean it all out to make sure no metal chips are left behind. Where do you find this " special lubricant" ?

Edited by D_Mac

gwest_ca

Later models used a 5056 model transmission in R-26 rear engine riders. Looks like the same design. Some of these are in the lubrication charts.

Bentonite grease.

Click on the fuzzy picture and again on the ones that show up. Two of them are from the Lubrication Charts.

Garry

rjg854

I'm with Kevin, that's a sweet little machine :handgestures-thumbupright:  I wouldn't mind having it stashed away in a corner. If you had a small yard  it would be just the ticket. 

D_Mac

Even though I just went through 33 rounds of radiation to my head and neck and spent 6 weeks before that in the hospital having my gallbladder, spleen, and half my pancreas removed I would be laughed out of my neighborhood if I used a riding mower to mow my small yard. That being said I will cruise up and down the street with it waving at them as I go by!!

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

Even though I just went through 33 rounds of radiation to my head and neck and spent 6 weeks before that in the hospital having my gallbladder, spleen, and half my pancreas removed I would be laughed out of my neighborhood if I used a riding mower to mow my small yard. That being said I will cruise up and down the street with it waving at them as I go by!!

You can get away with pretty near anything nowadays. Just tell everybody it's your "Mobility Tractor."

"Yeah I'm tired today. I've been through a lot you know. Scooter? I don't think so..."

D_Mac

"Yeah I'm tired today. I've been through a lot you know. Scooter? I don't think so..."

Thats what I say. I been to hell and back fighting these 2 different kinds of cancer. I have Tonsil and Pancreas. I enjoy the 10 mins it takes to mow the lawn. Believe me it feels good to be outside after you spent 6 weeks in hospital room. That being said I wish my yard was bigger so I would actually have a use for these Horses. Maybe I should move to a house with a bigger lawn.

• Like 2

Pullstart

Tractors aside, I wish you good health and happiness @D_Mac!

• Like 1

Howie

Those gearboxes like that used the grease in them Bennoite I believe is at least one name

for it. Most of them you could not keep 90W in them.I think it sort of liquifes as the gears

run in it. At least that is what I have been told!

• Like 1

D_Mac

Thank you. Feeling better everyday. Ordered the bearings and the shift fork. They should be here soon. I did not want to start taking everything out of it until I had the parts in front of me. With some luck I wont find anything else broken under all that grease and can put it all back together again. Now I have to start looking for the Bennoite. Going to need a lot by the looks of things.

• Like 1

D_Mac

Shift fork came today. Started pulling it apart. Going to try and clean as much of the old grease off before putting it back together. The old fork broke pretty clean. I dont believe there is any metal pieces in there. Any suggestion on cleaning it all or would you just repack some new grease. 

20190920_145557.jpg

Bud Andrews

I just found one of these this week in Reading, Pa.  Took a 6 hour ride to fetch it home,  but the price was right.

D_Mac

What did you find ? The RR-832 or the REO ? I had an offer on the Work Horse but I am not sure I want to sell. The REO is in great shape other then the transmission. It still even has the paper label around the gas cap. Original seat and tires. Original paint. Once I get it back together just going to buff it out make it shine. Any suggestions on bringing the paint back? Tricky to drive. There really isnt a brake. Press the pedal half way down to go forward and press it all the way down to go in reverse. Transmission is High, Neutral, Low. No reverse gear.

20181005_182520_resized.jpg

20181005_182608_resized.jpg

20181005_182650_resized.jpg

20181005_182500_resized.jpg

20181005_182546_resized.jpg

Edited by D_Mac

Bud Andrews

I found an RR-832,  is in really good condition, too. I'd love to post a photo but it says I've used up my limit for photos,  that is one of the main reasons I hardly post here any more,:(

D_Mac

Oh I didnt know we had a limit on photos. Does yours have a screen over the engine or was that just on the A-81? hard to find any photos of them. Picked up some pieces to make a little trailer to pull behind it today. Also the bearings came for the RR65 project. Hopefully when thats all put back together it should run fine. <fingers crossed>. Wonder how many photos you can post before you are cut off.

oliver2-44

Bentonite grease is a type of grease, not a brand.  

Bentonite is a type of clay that is put in the base oil to thicken it to make a grease.  

On Amazon you can buy Tecumseh gear box grease this is a bentonite based, $27 for a small container.

I have some wheel bearing grease that I think is a bentonite and a lot better priced.  I will try to check tomorrow.

67 WH 877

Nice Work Horse...Its in great shape:handgestures-thumbupright:

ebinmaine
19 hours ago, Bud Andrews said:

used up my limit for photos

16 hours ago, D_Mac said:

limit on photos

If you become a subscriber for $20 or so there's no more limit and no ads.

And it helps keep the site going.

D_Mac

Where do you make the donation? Bearings arrived and I am upset. They seem to be a tad to small.The inter diameter is tight. I dont want to press it on as it should just slip over. Nothing goes easy. Cant understand why as they are supposed to be the same bearing as I am replacing.