Stepney

Powder Coating?

Stepney

Hello, all. While I know there's masses to read online about powder coat, I do like to hear opinions on specific questions..

I have these two that will wind up on a paired skid and be used at shows as a working display. The engine being an early B&S, the pump a 20's Uniflow shallow well unit. 
The pump itself would likely hold paint just fine. However the B&S slobbers oil from various places and by design always leaks a little fuel out the mixer. I'm nervous to paint it over again because with time it'll lift and soften. So I'm considering powder coating them. Seems the stuff takes heat OK, as well as gas and oil. Just curious to hear if anyone's tried it on an actual engine?

Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 10.42.15 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 12.40.05 PM.png

oliver2-44

I don't have any direct experience, but I was checking out some power coaters in my area and one of them was doing motorcycle engines.  One of the challenges with yours is they will need to thoroughly pre-bake it to get all the oil out of the metal pores. 

RandyLittrell

If you use a good urethane paint with hardener, it will hold up much better than a rattle can job. 

Randy

• Excellent 1

Mike'sHorseBarn

Just because of the process of powder coating, I would not recommend doing the block of an engine. All that heat is going to do more harm than good. I've had a lot of things powder coated, but I do not do things like engines and transmissions. 

WHX??

If you know a guy that does it I would ask him how well it hold up on a engine. I would guess pretty well looking at decks I had powdered and motors other guys have done. Yes the oil in the pores could be an issue another question to ask a coater. The thing to remember is the coated part gets baked in a 400 deg oven to cure it so that means nothing can go it the oven with it that might melt. seals, gaskets, o-rings ect. I have seen many car engine blocks powdered so guessing prep time is everything.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

857 horse
15 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

If you know a guy that does it I would ask him how well it hold up on a engine. I would guess pretty well looking at decks I had powdered and motors other guys have done. Yes the oil in the pores could be an issue another question to ask a coater. The thing to remember is the coated part gets baked in a 400 deg oven to cure it so that means nothing can go it the oven with it that might melt. seals, gaskets, o-rings ect. I have seen many car engine blocks powdered so guessing prep time is everything.

:text-yeahthat:

Stepney
2 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

If you use a good urethane paint with hardener, it will hold up much better than a rattle can job. 

Randy

I'd surely consider that, but any paint shop would laugh this engine out the door, and I'm really not set up with the means to do it myself. 

RandyLittrell
4 minutes ago, Stepney said:

I'd surely consider that, but any paint shop would laugh this engine out the door, and I'm really not set up with the means to do it myself. 

I used to paint for a living a long time ago, so its not hard for me, but I am on a coleman lantern forum and they use rustoleum engine enamel on the tanks of lantern and say it holds up pretty well. They use the clear coat too and bake them in the oven at 200 deg. Might last awhile. 

Randy

Stepney
24 minutes ago, RandyLittrell said:

I used to paint for a living a long time ago, so its not hard for me, but I am on a coleman lantern forum and they use rustoleum engine enamel on the tanks of lantern and say it holds up pretty well. They use the clear coat too and bake them in the oven at 200 deg. Might last awhile. 

Randy

Tried that very thing myself. May work on some engines, but this thing spits way too much and it'd just melt sooner or later. Mot much on it that couldn't be removed either. I doubt the furnace would cause any issues. 

• Like 1

JoeM

I like nice finish and I like patina too! But it just seems out of place to make those pieces look like new???

Maybe a nice paint job and keep them wiped down or a brush finish?

Stepney
1 hour ago, OILUJ52 said:

I like nice finish and I like patina too! But it just seems out of place to make those pieces look like new???

The pump itself has a few different coats on it. 
The engine has been painted several times. One flywheel is bare, one is black/blue, the block is silver, head is an off white.. photo makes it look less pieced-together then it really is. 
I'm all for preserving original engines, most of mine are still in work clothes. But this one looks pretty goofy when your right in front of it. Atop of that it was in fact red when it was new. 

Stepney
1 hour ago, OILUJ52 said:

That is the general procedure with my engines, (IF) they get repainted. And most are run fairly clean so a wipe down is no issue. 
But this engine in particular is a nasty runner. Itll just melt regular old rattle can or brush paint. The carb constantly mists out gas and there are no crank seals nor a seal on the pushrod, so its constantly misting out some oil when its running all day. The breather is but a hole. There is no negative pressure to keep the oil inside. 

Edited by Stepney
  • Like 1

WHX??
31 minutes ago, Stepney said:

But this engine in particular is a nasty runner. 

Good thing the shows we attend Step... I personally like to see them as they run. ...oil/fuel fouled as they may be. If it's something you don't care to grease up perhaps a static display? No crime in that in my book either. Long as you are showing old iron. 

WHX??
4 hours ago, Stepney said:

but any paint shop would laugh this engine out the door

Why do you say that Stepney, surely if they are professionals and have a passion for things old they would want to help you save old iron?

Stepney
1 minute ago, WHX24 said:

Good thing the shows we attend Step... I personally like to see them as they run. ...oil/fuel fouled as they may be. If it's something you don't care to grease up perhaps a static display? No crime in that in my book either. Long as you are showing old iron. 

I'd never leave it as a static display.. it's a great running little engine, overbored and completely gone through. Just it's nature to run dirty. If powder will keep it looking like a properly rebuilt engine, and be easier to clean/last longer, I'd gladly do it. (Likewise with a proper paint job.. but as said, i don't have the means for that).  If it were a typical semi-gloss black that'd be one thing, but red/gold is far too easily soiled. An hourly wipe down to keep it looking nice is no worry to me. Long as it's durable. Its one thing for my big Fairbanks engine to be a little dirty .. that's a farm engine. These were not meant to look that way. This engine originally ran a cream separator. They wouldn't want a grimy old engine running that of course. 

• Excellent 1

Stepney
17 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Why do you say that Stepney, surely if they are professionals and have a passion for things old they would want to help you save old iron?

Wish I had an answer to that. I've tried quite a good number of local places. One did an incredibly poor job. The rest expressed no interest in a 'small job'. 
Not too many 'small' shops around here anymore. Mainly focused on vehicles and collision work. We only have one 'Restoration shop' anywhere around and they did .. lets call it a very sub-par and highly priced job on a machine of mine. 

Edited by Stepney
  • Sad 1

WHX??
19 minutes ago, Stepney said:

I'd never leave it as a static display.. it's a great running little engine, overbored and completely gone through.

22 minutes ago, Stepney said:

The rest expressed no interest in a 'small job'. 

I hear ya there.. and also how hard it is to find fellow old iron hobbists to share our passion.

Stepney
1 minute ago, WHX24 said:

I hear ya there.. and also how hard it is to find fellow old iron hobbists to share our passion.

I agree.
Most of my engines get, if really poor off, a new coat of the correct color. I expect a hit and miss to get oily and dirty. My original engines I do my best to keep just so. This particular one just happens to be a little different then the rest and I'd like it to stand out. Not a whole lot of FB's running anymore. My old Maytag gas washer will never go a day without cleaning.. but I still am not afraid to do the shop wash with it every single week. It was done with basic rustoleum and it's held up fairly well. But around the carb and tank filler it's already beginning to wash. 
..But, I can easily dismantle a washer engine and touch up the top of the tank. This B&S would not be such an easy task. 0607192152.jpg.a2b77f4e46ffa605ddd5aa5353096e0e.jpg

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Might be worth contacting a couple local clubs to see if they have suggestions too.

MAPA

CMSGMA