Dennis C.

1979 C-101

Dennis C.

Just picked up a 1owner 1979 C-101.  Runs, drives and cuts. Although garage kept the tractor does have surface rust on the hood . Probably won't repaint.  Are gas caps with the gauge still available? Also tying to download a parts manual but no luck. Any models similar? Thanks.

• Like 1

Dennis C.

Thanks or the info. I have a friend that needs one of those gauges as well. I'll save all the files on the C-101. Thanks for your help!!

Burnerman

Where’s the picture!! I love my 78 C101. 

FDC63580-95BC-4523-AB30-DD33A8D57617.jpeg

• Like 2

peter lena

dennis c , welcome to the site , if that hood is not really rusted , you could try using some spray lubricant oil (   your choice )  on a rag and slowly rub it on the paint , it will usually cut thru the crud and start to show paint life. i have done this with very good results , you can leave the oiled  look on it ,or next step would be to lightly buff it out with a paint cuter, showing solid paint and shine. good luck with it , pete

• Like 1

oliver2-44

Check out the "isavetractors web site he has the gas cap/gages

tunahead72
3 hours ago, Burnerman said:

Where’s the picture!! I love my 78 C101. 

FDC63580-95BC-4523-AB30-DD33A8D57617.jpeg

Is that another shot of your new solid motor mounts?  Nice looking tractor, now if we can just get @Dennis C. to show us his... :popcorn:

Burnerman
5 hours ago, tunahead72 said:

Is that another shot of your new solid motor mounts?  Nice looking tractor, now if we can just get @Dennis C. to show us his... :popcorn:

:lol: Yes. I love tractor pictures. @Dennis C. where’s yours?👀

Dennis C.

Thanks for all the reply's and info. Nice looking tractor!!! Can't afford to redo mine, although it would be a great candidate. As I mentioned in my first post, I bought this from the original owners family.  The seat is worn and the knobs for the throttle and choke are missing. The gas tank gauge works but the plastic lens is broken. The owners son delivered the tractor yesterday and I took engine degreaser and cleaned and power washed e the entire tractor. Other than the rust on the hood the overall condition of the tractor is good. Brake and clutch need adjustment but I think I know what is causing the problem. The space between the tranny and seat pan was packed solid with grass clippings. May not have been cleaned in years. I removed the seat and fender pan and the grass was packed so tight the shift lever couldn't moved freely. Today i will roll the tractor outside, remove the rear wheels and power wash the grass out. Then I should be able to check on the clutch and brakes. Here is a picture of the tractor as it was delivered yesterday. It has since been power washed and all the oil has been cleaned up. I'll post another picture later. Anyone know where I can find a seat?

69773704_236090197366173_5095657360135815168_n.jpg

70197220_236089537366239_7669314545445240832_n.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

Dennis C.

anyone know where I can get a seat for this

peter lena

seats are easy to find on the net, just verify that your w/h bolt pattern size will match up, on the other hand , if you have to have an original  w/h seat , that will cost you more and finding one can be difficult, tractor supply has a limited amount of seats, i have bought mine from agri,fab .  with exact matching seat bolt on pattern , shown on their site , pete

Dennis C.

Thanks Pete. I'd really love to bring this tractor back but without a proper place to work and equipment, the cost is just too prohibitive. Outside services for sand blasting and painting are expensive. I had a set of WH rims sandblasted and painted and that was $140. The hood was $250.  Still this tractor will be in a garage, out of the elements.

oliver2-44

If you want to keep that tractor original, but spruce it up, that tractor looks like a great candidate to wet sand and clear coat.  Tractor Supply and Norther tool have good seat if you catch a sale. Also "Surplus Center" on the web has some nice seats. 

RandyLittrell

You would be amazed at how that will look with a little polishing and detail work! 

Randy

• Like 1

Dennis C.

I was just looking at those. Did you have to make a adapter to bolt the seat in place? Thanks BTW, what color and brand of paint did you use?

Burnerman

Mine was just sprayed with Rustoleum. You don’t need to sand blast a thing. That tractor looks a lot better then mine when I got it. 

Wash it off, dry it and then Oil everything!! Wipe it down with an oily rag and it’ll be fine. I just went through all the moving parts and replaced worn belts, pulleys and bearings. Clean up the engine and fuel system and add fresh filters. 

You don’t need a lot of money to keep that horse in good working order for many years to come. 

• Like 2

81blackhood
1 hour ago, Dennis C. said:

I was just looking at those. Did you have to make a adapter to bolt the seat in place? Thanks BTW, what color and brand of paint did you use?

The seat is a direct fit.   The paint is Rustoleum Regal Red

Burnerman
1 hour ago, 81blackhood said:

The seat is a direct fit.   The paint is Rustoleum Regal Red

For comparison my seat was also a direct fit and it’s Rustoleum Sunrise red. 

Dennis C.

Thanks for all the help guys. Are there any pictures of the PTO clutch setup  for this Tractor? The previous owner has a big spring attached at the adjustment screw/retainer. Is that suppose to be there? Thanks again.

gwest_ca

This item 13 spring?

Garry

1979 C-Series pto.jpg

Dennis C.

Thanks for the diagram, guess that is the correct spring on my PTO.

Burnerman
17 hours ago, Dennis C. said:

Thanks for all the help guys. Are there any pictures of the PTO clutch setup  for this Tractor? The previous owner has a big spring attached at the adjustment screw/retainer. Is that suppose to be there? Thanks again.

B19AF2FD-6F60-4672-87D5-11CA69F4FF83.jpeg

• Like 1

Dennis C.

Thanks Burnerman for the detailed pictured. My spring attaches to the top of the PTO  clutch actuator. I found a schematic of the exploded view and mine is suppose to attach that way but that spring certainly exerts a lot of side load on the shaft. I like this set up better.

• Like 1