Mudrig150

Why do you buy old tractors?

Mudrig150

The reason I buy old tractors is to show off, do work, and to give new life to the ol' rusty junkers.

When I eventually find a friend for my burns B-60 (a WH RJ or Suburban) it'll accompany the ol girl at shows,

• Like 3

peter lena

I think its the bones of the unit /  era that make you buy it, and the ability to refit it as you like. they do not produce steel like they used to  let alone make a small for home use tractor. refitting with a newer type or rebuilt engine , along with newer type fittings and joints can give you a resto mod type of unit that gets the best out of that unit. the combination of improvements that i have steadily added to my horses , makes them live on , i think they work better now than they did when i first got them. this is my own experience and opinion , pete

• Like 5

ebinmaine

Trina and I are both big believers in

"Use what ya have" 

"Do for yourself"

We really try to be as independent as we can around the home and actually both of us have jobs where we work independently a lot of the time.

We try to accomplish as much as we can without the help of others.

The reason we bought ONE Wheelhorse is because it was recommended by a trusted Small Engine guy.

The reason we bought the rest is because we bought the first one.

They are heavy duty. Reliable. Easily maintained and repairable. And as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Trina really prefers the 60s models while I go for the 70s B and C models.

Nowadays if you want one you can go to a big box store full of cheap crap and buy yourself a temporary lawn mower.

To us, our old tractors are... EQUIPMENT.

We both very thoroughly enjoy restoring and using them around the property.

• Like 7
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, oldiron613 said:

Because I'm hopelessly addicted and sick in the head. 

Maybe but at least you're honest.

:ROTF:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

bds1984

There could be a lot worse things in life that one could spend their money on....  

• Like 7

PeacemakerJack

Finding value in something that most others have written off as old junk.  

The chance to restore an American icon back to fully functional use (at the least) or better than new (at best).

Usage brings me back to my roots and a simpler time.

They are unique and super cool looking, unlike most of the current crop of look-alike plastic throw aways.

They handle tasks that would generally be reserved for machines more than twice their size today.

To name a few.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

biged77

They are a much cheaper hobby than old cars.

You have to mow the grass anyway, may as well do it with your hobby.

All problems are fixable with the help of this site. 

All parts are available somewhere, just need to do some digging.

They grow on you and seem to reproduce.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Herder

I have to agree with everything above, couldn't have said it better myself.  Lets face it I am addicted to the chase, I am a bit of a hoarder and I just love tractors.    

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

The Tuul Crib
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Trina and I are both big believers in

"Use what ya have" 

"Do for yourself"

We really try to be as independent as we can around the home and actually both of us have jobs where we work independently a lot of the time.

We try to accomplish as much as we can without the help of others.

The reason we bought ONE Wheelhorse is because it was recommended by a trusted Small Engine guy.

The reason we bought the rest is because we bought the first one.

They are heavy duty. Reliable. Easily maintained and repairable. And as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Trina really prefers the 60s models while I go for the 70s B and C models.

Nowadays if you want one you can go to a big box store full of cheap crap and buy yourself a temporary lawn mower.

To us, our old tractors are... EQUIPMENT.

We both very thoroughly enjoy restoring and using them around the property.

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

chip61

The new box store machines don't do a thing for me, and while I would like to have a sub-compact with a deck I can't really justify the price tag, although I may bite the bullet one of these days and get one. I enjoy running the older machines-they are tough, fairly dependable if maintained and much easier to work on if something does break. My neighbor has a nice orange diesel lawn tractor. It does a beautiful job when it's running, but at 450 hours none of the shops that have repaired it seem to be able to get the pto clutch to last more than a few hours without slipping (4 shops). He has spent more on repairs on this machine than I have spent on all my workers put together and I cut more grass than he does!

The only newer machine I ever ran was my father in law's yellow mower with a Kohler Courage and it caught fire and burned to the ground a few years ago. I guess I worked it too hard?? :unsure:

• Like 4

19richie66

Because I can’t afford old cars. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

WHNJ701

I am at point I don't buy tractors any more unless it's the deal of lifetime and rare.  i have enough to keep me busy.  I do get harassed into free ones occasionally.

• Like 1

953 nut

Image result for If I explained to you still wouldn't understand

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

midpack
53 minutes ago, jabelman said:

I am at point I don't buy tractors any more unless it's the deal of lifetime and rare.  i have enough to keep me busy.  I do get harassed into free ones occasionally.

Yeah, a couple have popped up around here lately that I wouldn't  have minded having, I just keep reminding myself  I have  three really good ones. Plus... I don't  have any more room... lol

• Like 3

Lee1977

The first one I bought was new. It's the oldest one I have now. I've added a couple since.

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib

The thrill of the hunt,  the challenge 

to find the parts and the joy of riding it 

around and showing it off.

Old iron RULES!!!!:music-rockout:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

Burnerman

It’s the only truly practical toy I’m allowed to own. I tinker on it like it’s a classic car and parts are sometimes an interesting story.

It is actually a useful toy for  plowing snow ( my favorite) to keeping the lawn cut and many other things depending on the size of your land. It’s simple enough and a very powerful machine. 

They’re from a by gone era that will never be back. 

• Like 3

Darb1964

I like anything old, my house is 1830 my tractors are all twenty years old or older. When I was young I liked new stuff and old stuff now I like old. I'm old so I think old should be celebrated and show, old is very capable. I've cut my lawn with the same tractor for thirty years it shows it's age as I do, that's just cool, I think.

• Like 5

SylvanLakeWH

It’s fun.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

It's a :wh: thing!

if I have to explain...

you know the rest.   :greetings-wavingyellow:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Al C.

They are so simple.  They are elegantly simple solutions - you just keep looking at them and smiling.  Everything has a purpose, it is easy to see, which makes them easy to maintain and modify.   And the quality is second to none.  

• Like 5

The Tuul Crib

I forgot the most important reason l 

buy these old tractors is the friendship

they create on the bestest tractor site

on the planet!!!

• Excellent 3
  • Heart 2

Herder

If WH didn't have so many neat and useful attachments I wouldn't need so many tractors.  OK I am lying, I have way to many attachments and tractors for the 1/2 acre I live on.  I can't help it.  :dunno:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 3