71_Bronco

Wheel Weight Questions

71_Bronco

Just wanted some input from other members regarding rear wheel weights, the kind you bolt on.

How convenient is it to have an open center in the weight (like the old cast ones) to be able to remove the wheel with the weight on?

I've seen both styles, the "donut" with the open center to allow access to the lug nuts, and a solid kind that doesn't.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

I have a set the old-school Bolens brand 55 lb each, open centers, cast iron type.

I did not buy the open centers on purpose. That's what was there when I got my 1974 c-160.

I think I would be fine with them either way personally.

Reasoning for that is even though I have open centers I always remove the weights first. My tires are fluid-filled with rim guard beet juice which means I have about 75 lb of Liquid Alone in each tire.

I find it easier to undo two extra bolts with an impact driver than it is to handle a tire and wheel assembly which weighs at least 150 lb.

• Like 2

Pullstart

Some of the open center weights fit the inside of the rim, so it can slide over the hub.  I’m with Eric...  a couple bolts to remove convenient weight would be much easier than wrestling with it on the tractor.... unless there’s no other way for some reason.

• Like 1

857 horse

I AM WITH THE  TOO DUMB TO KNOW BETTER GROUP....I HAVE INNER AND OUTTER REAR WEIGHTS,,,WITH THE DOUBLE ROW CHAINS....WITH OUT THE TEETH.....THOSE TEETH EAT MY CONCRETE DRIVEWAY....

ON IN THE WINTER,, OFF IN THE SPRING...IT SEEMS LIKE AN ALL MORNING LOVE AFFAIR,,,,AND I AM WORE OUT WHEN IM DONE...BUT MAN  IT DOES THE JOB....42 INCH BLADE///3 SPEEDS...SNOW HAS NEVER SLOWED MINE DOWN,,, AND 8 H.P.  TAH BOOT..!!!      CANT FIND THIS AT LOWES...

HOWARD 857HORSE   IN VA.......................              OH...ALL MY WEIGHTS ARE OPENED IN THE CENTER

• Like 4

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, 857 horse said:

ON IN THE WINTER,, OFF IN THE SPRING

Howard, just for the sake of clarity. Do you change the entire wheel or leave the wheel on the tractor and take the weights and chains on and off? I'm just curious.

• Excellent 1

857 horse
17 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Howard, just for the sake of clarity. Do you change the entire wheel or leave the wheel on the tractor and take the weights and chains on and off? I'm just curious.

ERIC....I RUN 23X10.50X12  TURF  ON 8 INCH WIDE RIMS.....I USE 2 INCH SPACERS SO THE CHAINS DONT RUB OR CATCH ON MY PLOW BRACKET,,,,,

AND YES,,,,,I SWITCH THE WHOLE ASSY,,,,,,PUT THEM AWAY IN THE SPRING...AND PUT ON MY SUMMER TIRES....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, 857 horse said:

ERIC....I RUN 23X10.50X12  TURF  ON 8 INCH WIDE RIMS.....I USE 2 INCH SPACERS SO THE CHAINS DONT RUB OR CATCH ON MY PLOW BRACKET,,,,,

AND YES,,,,,I SWITCH THE WHOLE ASSY,,,,,,PUT THEM AWAY IN THE SPRING...AND PUT ON MY SUMMER TIRES....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you have wheel studs installed?

I have those on all of our tractors and I'll never build another one without them..

• Like 3

857 horse

ERIC...MINE ARE NOW ALL CONVERTED TO STUDS.....BOB MAYNARD SELLS PREPACKAGED KITS....USING GRADE 8 BOLTS......(( WHAT A LIFE SAVER))

THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN OFFERED WITH OUR RED MACHINES.....

AND AGAIN....I USE A 2 INCH SPACER....MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE.

HOWARD857 HORSE IN VA

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi
3 hours ago, 857 horse said:

That is a good approach...my way is easier.  Dedicated snow tractors weights and chains never have to come off.:P

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, 71_Bronco said:

wheel weights

Nick, do you use wheel studs?

12 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Dedicated snow tractors

That's an excellent idea.

that is part of the reason I am building Colossus. Not to mention... Just because I can.

I'd love to be able to leave the snow and dirt dozer right on the Cinnamon Horse all the time.

71_Bronco
17 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Nick, do you use wheel studs?

Yes, i just recently switched to the studs and lug nuts.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

JoeM

I am pretty much into the working tractor and leave the weights on the machine, no tire changes. 

I do have open weights on my FEL and it works good for checking the hubs for movement. You can place a witness mark between the axle and hub for reference.

I have had to deal with a leak and I do remove the weights first.

gwest_ca

The wheels have a square hole that accepts a 1/2" carriage bolt to mount weights.

I use lengths of 1/2" threaded rod in each square hole secured to the wheel with two nuts and a lock washer.

After the wheel is back on the tractor slide the weight over the threaded rods and add flat washers and nuts.

Garry

Burnerman

I did the same thing as Garry but I added some valve springs. It allows wiggle to make it easier to line up the bolts. I used long carriage bolts. 

5CA5FC19-1B5F-4A9D-B528-EE1E565FE7CC.jpeg

A1F9BBAD-1659-4D0A-B283-A8AAC423512B.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1