rreischman

rj 25 engine swap

rreischman

Hi all, this is my first post to the forum, so please forgive me if this has already been discussed. I have an old rj-25 and it originally had a 2.5 tecumseh motor on it, which never ran because it was locked up. I want to put in a newer more reliable engine on it so my nephews can enjoy it and get some use out of it. Not sure if i need a clockwise or counter - clockwise engine or do you have any recommendations for what I should do? Thanks

ebinmaine

I know next to nothing about the round hood vintage models but I just wanted to say

:WRS:

Others will be along shortly to help you out

WHNJ701

being it's a very early rj, personally I would keep it original.  adding a predator/new replacement type engine will kill the value of it.  I would either rebuild or find a period correct replacement.  

I would look for an early 60's wheelhorse for the kids to ride around on instead at least they are common enough if want to repower with a newer engine.

CasualObserver

Umm... if you truly have an actual RJ-25, I'd recommend you sell it and buy your nephews each their own tractor with the money. Some pictures will tell a much better story here if you can add some.

rreischman

I'll never sell it in my life time or will ever be worried about resell just want them to enjoy it. It was their grandpa's and he got it new as a kid. how much would it be worth? 

Unknown-3.jpeg

Unknown-4.jpeg

• Heart 2

Pullstart

:text-welcomewave: @rreischman!  That is a great looking tractor!  I’d keep my eye out for a Clinton or Kohler powered something from that vintage, to put around with.  Anything you can do to not cut or hack the tractor would be best...  but good on you for getting this going for the grandkids of the original owner :handgestures-thumbupright:  I feel like I have a connection to my grandfather each time I use something that was his.

• Heart 1

WHNJ701

Maybe restore that one to original condition with the grandkids being it's family history and an uncommon tractor.  

AMC RULES

RJ-35

• Like 1

953 nut
8 hours ago, rreischman said:

I have an old rj-25 and it originally had a 2.5 tecumseh motor on it

:text-coolphotos:          The RJ-25 is a 1956 model and came with a Briggs & Stratton engine.  What is pictured could be a 25 or a 35. Do you have a picture of the engine you could post. If it is the correct factory engine I would put it away for a later date. Just repowere the RJ with one of the Harbor Freight engines so the kids can enjoy grandpa's tractor. Later on you can rebuild the engine and do a proper restoration, right now tractor bonding time is at hand!     :text-bravo:

7 hours ago, rreischman said:

I'll never sell it in my life time or will ever be worried about resell just want them to enjoy it. It was their grandpa's

:text-yeahthat:                                  :text-thankyoublue:                        :woohoo:                                   :bow-blue:                          :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 1

rreischman

Thanks for the info! It has a clinton engine. (i'm guessing its the original engine) I have a few different attachments to the tractor too.

Unknown-5.jpeg

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: The proof then...

it's not an RJ-25.  :scared-eek:

buckrancher
16 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:text-coolphotos:          The RJ-25 is a 1956 model and came with a Briggs & Stratton engine.  What is pictured could be a 25 or a 35. Do you have a picture of the engine you could post. If it is the correct factory engine I would put it away for a later date. Just repowere the RJ with one of the Harbor Freight engines so the kids can enjoy grandpa's tractor. Later on you can rebuild the engine and do a proper restoration, right now tractor bonding time is at hand!     :text-bravo:

:text-yeahthat:                                  :text-thankyoublue:                        :woohoo:                                   :bow-blue:                          :handgestures-thumbup:

early rj25 would be a1955 model not 56

Edited by buckrancher

rreischman

thanks again everybody for the info! i appreciate it. i'll post pics once i finish it. 

Pullstart

What attachments do you have for it?

Pullstart

Also, you’ve got nothing to loose with the engine on it... if it were mine I’d set it in a 5 gallon bucket and top it off with diesel/kerosene mixture and forget about it for a month or two.  You might find that it becomes un-stuck!

• Like 1

oliver2-44
5 hours ago, pullstart said:

Also, you’ve got nothing to loose with the engine on it... if it were mine I’d set it in a 5 gallon bucket and top it off with diesel/kerosene mixture and forget about it for a month or two.  You might find that it becomes un-stuck!

:text-yeahthat:Put a lid on the bucket and leave it set in the sun.

• Like 1