zeke37

418A Starter

zeke37

Hello I have a 418 A that I purchased at the beginning of this mowing season that has just developed a problem with the starter not engaging, just a whirring sound. After a while it will engage and the motor will fire right up. Am I looking at a problem with the flywheel and if so how much of a job is that? Tractor has 810 hours on it

Thanks 

Tim

oliver2-44

It sounds like the starter bendix (gear part is not throwing out to engage the flywheel.  These get gunked up and can just need cleaning.  

If you can slip the straw on a WD40 can (or your favorite spray penetrate) through the sheet metal at the top of the starter where it contact the flywheel.  Hit the starter a couple of time and spray each time.  If this (temporarily) helps the problem, you probable need to pull the starter, clean the upper shaft and gear, then lube with dry graphite.  The starter shaft actually should not have any oily lube on it, but this little easy test will help you figure out whats going on.    

if you haven't already, this winter it might be time to pull the sheet metal and give the engine and top of the transmission a good cleaning. 

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Excellent 2

daveoman1966

The whirring sound is just the starter motor running by itself, not engaging the BENDIX...or a bad bendix spring preventing engaging the flywheel.  More than likely, broken bendix spring or just all gummed up and dirty.  Take the strter off and clean it up...matybe install new bushes while you're at it.  The bendix will also need a good cleaning and spring replacement.  Dont lube the bendix spring...that makes it a dust magnet.

• Like 1

zeke37

Excellent! Will do thanks for the info fellas. She will get a top to bottom this winter. Best mower I have ever owned hands down.

Tim

horse with plow.JPG

• Like 4

peter lena

drilled a 1/4" hole in the sheet metal near the starter Bendix, for access and lubrication, also put in a 1/4 " plastic plug for easy sealing/ access  , available at any hardware store , pull out drawer section, pete

• Like 1

pfrederi

When you go to pull the starter be careful.  in the KT and Magnum Twins the bolts that hold the starter on also hold it together.  Make sure you hold the end caps in place.  I use tape.

start1.JPG

start2.JPG

• Like 2

zeke37

Instructions! Y'all are the best!