Mudrig150

Deere 214: It came out of nowhere

Mudrig150

So yesterday, I went up to our farm to work on my 210, when I spotted something new sitting down by our shed...A 214, just sitting there all neat with the side panels laying against the front. I asked my brother about it and he didn't know. We looked it over, it doesn't turn over at all, and there was a jumper cable laying on it, probably to start it. It's a bit low on oil, but it's still in the safe lines. We asked my pap but he insists he doesn't know, but I think he was probably talking to one of his friends and they asked him what to do with it, and the responce was most likely: "I got 2 boys who that kind of stuff."

But hey, free is free.

It's in really great condition, appears to be garage kept, and low hour. It's so nice, in fact, that the steering wheel still has texturing on it, and the headlight is still clear and not yellow. We don't know what to do with it, but we'll see...

20190905-153540.jpg

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Always interesting to come home and find a mystery tractor.

I'm not familiar with those at all. Is there something you can grab like a PTO and see if the engine turns by hand?

pacer

Oh, I'm sorry, I've done dropped that thing off at the wrong address!! I'll come by and pick it up and take it where it belongs ------- :eek:

I'm jealous!!

• Haha 2

wfrpalm

What Wheel Horse does that compare with? I see quite a few of them still in action.

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, wfrpalm said:

What Wheel Horse does that compare with? I see quite a few of them still in action.

must be some John Deere experts on here but I'm going to venture a guess that it's sort of like what would be a 314

857 horse

GOT SOME KILLER WEIGHTS ON THE REAR...:music-rockon:

AMC RULES

With Deere season right around the corner...seems perfect for some target practice.   :greetings-clapyellow:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8ntruck

Somebody drop some Deer seeds there earlier this year?

Mudrig150

Well, I did some sleuthing. It was one of my pap's mcdonald's friends who replaced it by a newer tractor, and left it to us.

We tried starting it but nothing. No power at starter, so we assumed either key switch or solenoid. It wasn't key switch because there was power coming out of the switch and it wasn't solenoid because there was no power at the start terminal. It was the neutral switch. If you jiggle the shifter sketchily in and out of gear it will eventually hit the switch contacts and turn over. Runs good except for that it just doesn't idle. Clogged jet.

The variator acts like the clutch, the belt loses all tension after like the 3rd click of the variator. That'll need addressed, so we're ordering new belts and springs to replace the old stretched ones.

We'll address issues as they appear.

20190907-214739.jpg

Edited by Mudrig150