TDF5G

SPRING INSTALL/REMOVE TOOL

ebinmaine

:bow-blue:

That ... is a great idea. I use an old school drum brake spring installation tool. Sometimes have to try twice but it always works.

• Like 2

TDF5G
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

:bow-blue:

That ... is a great idea. I use an old school drum brake spring installation tool. Sometimes have to try twice but it always works.

I was kinda proud of myself.  :rolleyes:  Thank you.  We talked about trying a automotive brake spring tool,  but I couldn't see where there was a place to grab on to with it.  I never did try it though. 

When the spring arrived, my first thought was, "This spring is so stiff, I'll never get it stretched on there."  The eye part of the hook could be cut open a little bit.  I will do that before I use it again.  The most difficult part was hooking the front of the spring in the lever hole first, where the rear hook is oriented properly.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Been a few months since I've messed with one of those but I think the orientation may have been my issue now that you say that.

I assume there must be different sizes of those tools considering that there are different sizes of drum brakes. The one I have is a Lisle brand. I'd have bought it to do between 10 and 13 inch diameter brakes.

Like you, I catch the front hook first and then I use the cast iron fin where the spring is going to be put into as my grabbing point.

• Like 1

oliver2-44

Great Idea:greetings-clappingorange:

20190824_100627[1].jpg

• Like 1

TDF5G
26 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

Great Idea:greetings-clappingorange:

Thank you.

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:                 I have one like the one below, but I'm all for home made low dollar tools that work.           :bow-blue:

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 3

TDF5G

I wasn't aware there is a tool for this.  But I'm not surprised. :)

adsm08

A lot of parts stores sell a tool like this for $5-10.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:greetings-clapyellow: Nice way to save a buck or ten!

• Like 1

tunahead72

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I always struggle with springs, and these tools are all certainly a lot more effective and safe than anything I've ever tried! :hide:

• Like 1