Sign in to follow this  
62vetteefp

63E lawn ranger choke cable question

62vetteefp

Well, I have a fine running 33E lawn ranger now! Thanks for the help. Rebuilt the carb, bought the governor link and replaced the gas tank gasket (die cast aluminum 2 pc gas tank.

Now my issue is that the choke system seems to be backwards. If I pull the choke it opens the butterfly. If I push it it closes the butterfly. Anyway I play with it I cannot figure it out.

I do have a H60-75063B engine (64) instead of the H60-75063B. It is a series 1 Tecumseh carb.

Is there a different choke arm? Mine does seem to be backwards as far as where the detents are.

OK I just looked at a 63E pic that had the hood on. It looks like the choke cable comes around the Left side whereas mine is coming around the Right side which is correct for a 64 per the pictures I have. Guess I need a photo of a 62/63 with the hood up to see how the cable is mounted.

anyone?

thanks

TT

32E with HT55C-3089P Lauson (original):

32En400012.jpg

33R engine (H60-75016):

031009005.jpg

The choke control should mount in the left side of the dash and the cable will cross over to the right side behind the engine. It runs from there up to the housing bracket on the front center head bolt just like you see in the above picture.

62vetteefp

thanks, here is what mine looks like (different choke arm though). Choke cable is run the same way on both but something must be different in my carb. Are there parts to revise the choke lever system?

With my choke arm straight back as shown in the photos the butterfly is open and the choke button is pushed in. I cannot pull the choke button because the choke arm is fully counterclockwise.

With your picture I do not see how pulling the choke button will work unless the photo you are showing is in the choked position and you push to open the butterfly??.

LawnRanger1-1.jpg

TT

The choke is closed in my first picture (and the picture you posted) and open in the second picture.

I don't recall of ever seeing a choke butterfly on a Tecumseh carb that worked the opposite way. Pulling the knob should close the choke and pushing it in would open it.

Do you have any way to get a picture of your carb? That would make it much easier to diagnose the problem.

62vetteefp

100_6172-1.jpg

The choke arm is as far counterclockwise as possible and butterfly is open in the above photo. I cannot pull the lever back anymore to close it (ie by pulling choke button). Notice the spring does not ride in correct serration stops

Below the choke again is open but the arm is hanging over the air cleaner and away from the routing of the cable. Notice the serrations now do ride in the spring.

100_6171-1.jpg

Again my pics are very similar to the one of the 64 setup I posted before except the choke arm is different. The choke arm was straight but I bent it in an S shape to line up with the choke cable.

thanks

Michael Bullington

I can see how thats not working for you...The only thing i can guess is that model carb was designed for another type of application. There is no way that carb will work the controls properly for you, unless there is someway to take it apart and turn it around. :omg:

Good Luck

Michael

TT

There's only two possibilities that could cause this problem.....

Either the butterfly (plate) was removed from the shaft and was not properly indexed during reassembly or the solder broke loose between the shaft and the arm and was resoldered without being properly indexed.

Can you get a picture of the end of the carburetor with the choke closed and opened? (so I can see the orientation of the plate and shaft)

62vetteefp

100_6175.jpg

100_6174.jpg

So is this arm / choke assembly replaceable and does someone have a part number?

thanks

TT

Something is definitely out of whack with your choke! :omg:

It appears as though the arm is almost 180

linen beige

Something is definitely out of whack with your choke! :omg:

I'll say! TT is right about your butterfly being turned the wrong way.

Yours looks to have been replaced with a home made one. Looks like an electrical box knock out slug to me. I'd toss this one and replace it with the correct shaft/butterfly.

62vetteefp

beige, you need to either get your eyes fixed or a new monitor:)

That is a real American nickel in there!!

Is there any chance of finding an original in stock or able to order? Anyone have a part number?

TT, I will try and get it out this weekend and try turning it. It comes out easier than I thought.

thanks

linen beige

That is a real American nickel in there!!

I see that now! No wonder it doesn't work right. Old T. Jefferson is standing on his head.

62vetteefp

I am still trying to find correct choke shaft/lever.

I think I have a 631067A carb and this part has been replaced with Tecumseh 631828 carb.

Again I have a H60-75063B engine.

How do I find this choke part number? I see they still sell the newer carb so the part should be available?

http://www.iowamotorparts.com/images/TEC_631828-IMP.GIF

thanks

TEC_631828-IMP.GIF

TT

I have some part numbers for you. :drool:

Screw: 650506

Shutter (plate): 31837

Shaft: 31836

These are all good numbers and should be under $10 for all three parts.

Need more part numbers? Just ask! :omg:

62vetteefp

WOWWWW

How did you get these part numbers?

thanks.

TT

How did you get these part numbers?

It's just one of the little things I do around here to earn my keep. :omg:

H60carb-2.jpg

62vetteefp

Thanks, the one I have must be the number 7. It was a straight arm.

Where can I find a step by step to rebuild the carb on the net?

thanks