ebinmaine

The "Colossus" project

ebinmaine
29 minutes ago, Tractorhead said:

I would take care, that you get the sealed ip54 version of this connectors for Tractor use,

the others won‘t last long on outside or offroad use.

I don't know what the numbers were that I ordered but it is a sealed type such as you talk about. 

• Thanks 1

Horse Newbie
On 12/29/2019 at 6:50 AM, ebinmaine said:

Trina got after the seat and rear fenders this evening.

We had some fun removing the bolts to disassemble the seat and fenders. PO solutions....

She removed the paint from the seat and one fender.

I straightened out the seat pan just a little with a hammer on the vise anvil.

IMG_20191228_193111847.jpg.13e9e2979cec7de2d0d0980972ea0d53.jpg

IMG_20191228_203116889.jpg.1b546bc0747382ee70a59abed259f37e.jpg

IMG_20191228_204519892.jpg.227898055441e5ef965fbf5e3130ed7c.jpg

IMG_20191228_212158969.jpg.3e08bdc0993098858d66ab9aab8ec3b0.jpg

2 coats primer, 2 coats paint. It'll need at least 1 more coat of paint but I like this textured metallic brown ALOT.

One VERY nice advantage to this textured paint is that the seat surface will be slightly more resistant to "butt slide" movement. :handgestures-thumbupright:

IMG_20191228_221935909.jpg.cc25b2d11e574d4f4978e1f5b842e8c4.jpg

She also put a good coat of primer on the frame.

IMG_20191228_221941415.jpg.dd3d853843e2f2a80b8c7ebb6327a58c.jpg

@ebinmaine  Is that fan sucking or blowing through the filter ? And is it for collecting paint over spray, grinding/sanding dust, or both ?

• Like 1

ebinmaine
Just now, Horse Newbie said:

@ebinmaine  Is that fan sucking or blowing through the filter ? And is it for collecting paint over spray, grinding/sanding dust, or both ?

It sucks through the filter. Built to collect dust and worked very well with fine disposable filters. 

Later we added another fan and filter. We tried using washable filters and they were .....ok. 

The disposable filter was a lot better at catching the dust. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Horse Newbie

@ebinmaine   I just read this whole thread...now I'm eligible for medicare...lol:lol:

But seriously, I learn so much on the Square !

That box fan and filter is a good idea.

Now that we are going into colder weather I will be doing more wire brushing and spray painting inside.

I'll try it out !

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

@ebinmaine   I just read this whole thread...now I'm eligible for medicare...lol:lol:

But seriously, I learn so much on the Square !

That box fan and filter is a good idea.

Now that we are going into colder weather I will be doing more wire brushing and spray painting inside.

I'll try it out !

I'd add a little to that table/fan info. 

Choose a table height that's very comfortable. 

After you've done a few minutes of grinding note where your dust pile is. If it's in the fan filter, great!

We all have different habits and the direction of travel of the removed material will vary. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Folks. 

Here's the connector set-up. 

They range in price from $14 to 19. 

IMG_20201209_194843752.jpg

• Like 5

Oldskool

Those look really nice

• Like 1

ebinmaine
Just now, Oldskool said:

Those look really nice

Seem decent. Well made. 

Solid. 

• Like 1

Oldskool

Dimensions?

8ntruck

Is Trina using a knot brush or a pad sander?  I can't quite see for sure in the pictures.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Is Trina using a knot brush or a pad sander?  I can't quite see for sure in the pictures.

It's a wire brush for sure. Not sure if it's knots... Or not. (plain strands)

We have both. 

ebinmaine
26 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Dimensions?

Screenshot_20201209-203109.png.86c80352257eb709d2dc090ddb4bf66f.png

• Like 1

Oldskool
6 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Screenshot_20201209-203109.png.86c80352257eb709d2dc090ddb4bf66f.png

Oh they are bigger than I thought. Nice. They should work well

• Like 1

Tractorhead

But don’t forget to protect them regular with batterygrease or Vaseline or whatever comes handy.

They have a protector if not connected, but they not primary built for outdoor use.

Water can drain reverse from the Wires to contact surfaces and they can quickly rotten.

We had a bad example here, if i have the time, i will do a Picture of the result after 2 Years outdoor.

Another Company have reworked that RV with such connections with an extreme Bad result.

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Oldskool said:

Oh they are bigger than I thought. Nice. They should work well

These are made for 2 to 4 gauge wire. There are smaller ones available for (6 to 10?) gauge. 

I opted for the larger size knowing I may use them as a battery cutoff or jumper cable connection. 

3 minutes ago, Tractorhead said:

But don’t forget to protect them regular with batterygrease

Good reminder. Thank you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ohiofarmer

I found this thread after seeing cinnamon horse's huge front wheels. i am wondering how you do the front bearing and hub for them. i do have access to golf cart wheels and was wondering if that enters into some of your builds.   That's the requestfrom Deploraville, Ohio

• Like 2

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

I found this thread after seeing cinnamon horse's huge front wheels. i am wondering how you do the front bearing and hub for them. i do have access to golf cart wheels and was wondering if that enters into some of your builds.   That's the requestfrom Deploraville, Ohio

Well you see

It's like this

This current build I'm going to either modify or make spindles and then weld stub axles onto them which will allow me to use regular trailer hubs. 

But as far as Cinnamon goes... I should warn ahead that some of you may get a bit of a cringe or even a little pucker factor out of the way those wheels are on. 

The front wheels on Cinnamon are the rears from an old crapsman and there are NO wheel bearings. They are literally a slide on. 

There's a key way that goes all the way through the hub. I took a hand file and put a chamfer on both sides of that so as to prevent gouging of the Horse spindle.

About twice a year I take off the front rims, degrease and clean them out and regrease and reinstall. While I have them off I carefully check the spindle for excessive wear and I have found zero so far...

I had intended three years ago to change over to rims with bearings and in fact at one point I bought a c81 specifically for no reason other than that it had the correct front wheels for me. 

Couldn't figure out a good reason to change the wheels if they're not doing anything harmful to the spindles so I sold the c81. 

We now return to our regularly scheduled reduced pucker programming. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

SylvanLakeWH

No pucker here... it’s workin’... keep it up!

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

slim67
7 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

The go cart suppliers like BMI carts have 4/4 hubs so so could run the golf cart wheels. The only issue would be backside clearance in which you have to negative offset wheels.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, slim67 said:

The go cart suppliers like BMI carts have 4/4 hubs so so could run the golf cart wheels. The only issue would be backside clearance in which you have to negative offset wheels.

If need be there are also wheels that are reversible and/ or you could build your own. 

Oldskool
7 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

If need be there are also wheels that are reversible and/ or you could build your own. 

:text-yeahthat:

slim67
45 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Yes there are and I forgot to add wheel spacers. The hubs are available in 5/8, 3/4 and 1 inch bores by the way.

• Like 2

ohiofarmer

Ok for all the suggestions. i also have a set of rears that just slip over shafts and are held on with bearings. trouble with that set is they are on a transmission that I flip on its side and spin wheel horse wheels on to paint them . Think pottery wheel.  The wheel spins around and is painted in less than a minute..

Come to think of it, i could just cut the center out of a correct front wheel and weld or bolt the golf cart wheel on. My dad rolled a little original Cub Cadet for so many years that 20% of the axle was flattened off by the bushings.

Edited by ohiofarmer

Stormin
On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 6:27 PM, ebinmaine said:

About twice a year I take off the front rims, degrease and clean them out and regrease and reinstall. 

No grease nipples? Or zerks I think you call them. You should fit some if not, then Trina could give them a couple of shots before you set off.

Save you an awful lot of work taking the wheels of etc. :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 3

ebinmaine
20 minutes ago, Stormin said:

No grease nipples? Or zerks I think you call them

Nope. 

They weren't made to be moving in the original application. 

I'd put some in but I've no way to drill into them at the odd angle.