ebinmaine

The "Colossus" project

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Just in case you may get stuck, Eric, how about mounting a small ATV winch on Colossus's bow? Could be used for other applications as well.

Interesting you'd ask that. 

I've decided to move the battery to the right side to help counterbalance the engine which leaves me a space under the fuel tank directly in front of the frame. 

My ole Man gave me a (2500#?) Winch that has a remote that doesn't work. There are YT videos on hardwiring a winch very similar to a double pole momentary switch. THAT would be some kinda handy.  

• Like 3

pfrederi

Just a thought.  military Vehicles had winches on the front...that was not for self rescue it was to pull other vehicles back out of trouble. If you are stuck pulling yourself further in is not usually a good thing.  Some day i will post about recovering a stuck duece.  My motor pool sergeant and I got it out with an M37 3/4 ton. while the "pro" wrecker operator got his 5 ton stuck had to all in a D-7  which got it out but then got its10 ton tractor and low boy stuck...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Just a thought.  military Vehicles had winches on the front...that was not for self rescue it was to pull other vehicles back out of trouble. If you are stuck pulling yourself further in is not usually a good thing.

Valid point. 

Maybe winch on front with cable to rear capability?

Or winch on rear hitch area?

• Like 1

R Scheer

Or a hitch mount winch, you could move that to the front or rear as required.  ( Once you add the front/rear hitch of course)

• Excellent 3

SylvanLakeWH
3 minutes ago, R Scheer said:

Or a hitch mount winch, you could move that to the front or rear as required.  ( Once you add the front/rear hitch of course)

:text-yeahthat:

2” receiver front and back. Winch on a detachable plate... Move it where you need it...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

I'm likin that idea. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

8ntruck
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Yessir I do have it. That won't go out in the woods though. Maybe later in the future if we build a bigger bridge. 

I've got a '48 8n for our 20 acres in Kentucky.  I am starting to look for a big wheel Wheel Horse for that property.  My wife keeps asking why, isn't the 8n enough?  I keep explaining that there are places on the property where the 8n can't get to.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

I've got a '48 8n for our 20 acres in Kentucky.  I am starting to look for a big wheel Wheel Horse for that property.  My wife keeps asking why, isn't the 8n enough?  I keep explaining that there are places on the property where the 8n can't get to.

That's the exact thing here. 

When we built the bridge it was/is for a tractor no wider than about 40, 42". 

It's built of very long pallets and does fine for 1200 + lbs of tractor and a trailer that weighs a little less. 

To put twice as much weight over it we'd need to reinforce to the point that removal/replacement would be smarter. 

Not much point in doing that though because the Horses do just fine getting the firewood and the paths cut through the forest are pretty narrow in a few places. 

cafoose
1 hour ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

:text-yeahthat:

2” receiver front and back. Winch on a detachable plate... Move it where you need it...

2" receiver on other horses and equipment so you can put the winch on anything!:banana-wrench:

• Like 2

19richie66

Yes with some of these connectors. I get the 120amp so I can run 4ga cable. I also plan on having these on the battery so I can disconnect all power when the tractor  is stored. Plus you could make it to where you can move a battery from one tractor to another just by unplugging it. 

https://powerwerx.com/anderson-sb-connectors-sb120-120amp?gclid=Cj0KCQiAwf39BRCCARIsALXWETwC63SphWrWbFYmzzn85CHL7EXaAgZ28UT2cWTwlmu6aVwNopffUNoaAurXEALw_wcB

5F060A86-18C2-4F72-B90A-06A3835DC686.jpeg

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, 19richie66 said:

Yes with some of these connectors. I get the 120amp so I can run 4ga cable. I also plan on having these on the battery so I can disconnect all power when the tractor  is stored. Plus you could make it to where you can move a battery from one tractor to another just by unplugging it. 

https://powerwerx.com/anderson-sb-connectors-sb120-120amp?gclid=Cj0KCQiAwf39BRCCARIsALXWETwC63SphWrWbFYmzzn85CHL7EXaAgZ28UT2cWTwlmu6aVwNopffUNoaAurXEALw_wcB

Cool idea there Richie

AMC RULES

32 pages!

Somewhere here, is there a tractor that is actually being worked on?

• Haha 7

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

32 pages!

I can't remember......

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

squonk
7 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

32 pages!

Now that the tires are done, I'm leaving a day in 2026 open to witness the un-veiling! :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

AMC RULES

Only took 20 years to get this far...

yeah so, what's another 6!   :greetings-wavingyellow:

• Haha 4

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, squonk said:

Now that the tires are done, I'm leaving a day in 2026 open to witness the un-veiling! :occasion-xmas:

:ROTF::ROTF::ROTF:

AMC RULES

I'm helping Eric!

Just doing my part here.  :greetings-wavingyellow:

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

I'm helping Eric!

Just doing my part here.  :greetings-wavingyellow:

Much appreciated Craig. 

I like how you're exhibiting patience. 

:lol:

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Let us all be Thankful today that @ebinmaine’s “progress” on Colossus remains a constant in these changing times... :eusa-clap:

:ROTF:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Stormin
3 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

I had those connectors on my Land Rovers for the winches. Also had jump leads with one on one end and crocodile clips on the other.

• Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H

ebinmaine

8ntruck
On 11/26/2020 at 6:12 AM, 19richie66 said:

The high school robotics team I have mentored uses these on their competition robots.  They are very durable.  The kids beat them pretty badly.  In the 7 or so years the team has existed, this item has never had a failure.  The robots have been in collisions that have knocked the battery out, yanking the connector apart with the cables - no damage.

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

The high school robotics team I have mentored uses these on their competition robots.  They are very durable.  The kids beat them pretty badly.  In the 7 or so years the team has existed, this item has never had a failure.  The robots have been in collisions that have knocked the battery out, yanking the connector apart with the cables - no damage.

I ordered a similar set of good quality. 

They will be incorporated into the system of this tractor, maybe more. 

Tractorhead
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I ordered a similar set of good quality. 

They will be incorporated into the system of this tractor, maybe more. 

I would take care, that you get the sealed ip54 version of this connectors for Tractor use,

the others won‘t last long on outside or offroad use.

• Like 1