ebinmaine

The "Colossus" project

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, pullstart said:

:teasing-poke:?  Has BBT been to busy to build you a tractor EB?

Hahahahahaha

Unfortunately that is literally true.

We've completed the installation of the wood stove on the upper floor.

Or next little project is going to be to construct a 6 by 8 foot wood shed.

We should be able to get back to much more important stuff like tractors within a week or two. Depending on weather of course.

• Like 1

Pullstart

See, I have one of these K532’s as well, and some funny guys thought it would be great to get me (Rylee) hooked on turning dirt...  now I’m contemplating a Donkey/Mule/Prairie Dog build...  I need some more custom big wheel ideas!

• Haha 4

ebinmaine
39 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Prairie Dog

I'm likin' that one...

Gimme a few weeks and Let The Experiments Begin!!

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Lee1977

Eric I looked for A Wood Shed build an didn't find one.  Get one started and we need pictures.  :ychain:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Lee1977 said:

Eric I looked for A Wood Shed build an didn't find one.  Get one started and we need pictures.  :ychain:

You bet!

I don't know if we'll be working on it before Saturday but I'll post some pictures and info.

• Like 1

Stormin
4 hours ago, pullstart said:

See, I have one of these K532’s as well, and some funny guys thought it would be great to get me (Rylee) hooked on turning dirt...  now I’m contemplating a Donkey/Mule/Prairie Dog build...  I need some more custom big wheel ideas!

Now that has me wondering who posted that.?   Me and Rylee.  Or me Rylee? :confusion-confused:

• Haha 5

Pullstart

Both?  

• Haha 4

Achto
On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 8:50 AM, pullstart said:

, and some funny guys thought it would be great to get me (Rylee) hooked on turning dirt...  

Haaaay!! I just might resemble that remark.:lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Achto

Some how I missed out on this thread Eric. Well there will be no more of that!! I'm here til completion.:popcorn:

• Heart 1

ebinmaine
20 minutes ago, Achto said:

here til completion

Glad to have all of you along.

Now if I could just get back to work on it.......

:lol:

• Like 1

Stormin

So what are you waiting for? :teasing-poke: TRINA crack the whip.

• Haha 3

Macwrench

I'm sure it's been covered before, but what is the max torque one of these trannys will take before stuff starts breaking off?  Is anyone out there building them?

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, Macwrench said:

I'm sure it's been covered before, but what is the max torque one of these trannys will take before stuff starts breaking off?  Is anyone out there building them?

That's a good couple of questions right there.

I'm not sure if anybody  has the actual answer. Maybe one of you folks that are in or around the pulling crowd?

I can tell you this much. Wheel horse has had engines in the 20 plus horsepower range with 8 speeds attached to them.

These gear drives are not at all known for breaking except after long-term usage or customer abuse.

In my particularly case I will normally be running this thing between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle.

I have no intention of using it with any sort of implements but it will be used to tow 1000 + pounds of firewood or stone or whatever.

Add to that the fact that we have VERY rough terrain.

I have basically zero concerned that I'm going to break the transmission with this engine.

They are pretty stout.

• Like 2

Macwrench
6 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

That's a good couple of questions right there.

I'm not sure if anybody  has the actual answer. Maybe one of you folks that are in or around the pulling crowd?

I can tell you this much. Wheel horse has had engines in the 20 plus horsepower range with 8 speeds attached to them.

These gear drives are not at all known for breaking except after long-term usage or customer abuse.

In my particularly case I will normally be running this thing between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle.

I have no intention of using it with any sort of implements but it will be used to tow 1000 + pounds of firewood or stone or whatever.

Add to that the fact that we have VERY rough terrain.

I have basically zero concerned that I'm going to break the transmission with this engine.

They are pretty stout.

You know, the limiting factor may be the belt drive.  I bet the belt would slip and burn up before the tranny broke.  I see the videos of dual wheels, and pulling, and I wonder what's the weak link.  I also worry about the housing faces moving around against each other.  Oh well, just thinking out loud.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Macwrench said:

would slip

Note that I chose those two specific words to quote.

I don't do any tractor pulling like in a ring or anything but we move some pretty heavy stuff here on the side of the mountain.

Before I got these tractors a few years back I would have thought the same thing about the belt drive but I don't believe that anymore.

I have a tendency to believe nowadays that the weak link is traction from Drive tires to driven surface.

When I'm in the forest I use ag/bar tires without chains.

I have found from interesting personal experiences that if I use chains the front end of a very heavily weighted tractor will slowly crawl up in the air 15 or 18 inches and that will definitely wake you up.

I now use slipping tires as my weak link in the chain of movement, so to speak.

It would be very interesting to see someone do testing to find Max torque limits but I'll not likely ever do it myself.

• Like 3

Macwrench
40 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I have a tendency to believe nowadays that the weak link is traction from Drive tires to driven surface.

When I'm in the forest I use ag/bar tires without chains.

I have found from interesting personal experiences that if I use chains the front end of a very heavily weighted tractor will slowly crawl up in the air 15 or 18 inches and that will definitely wake you up.

I now use slipping tires as my weak link in the chain of movement, so to speak.

It would be very interesting to see someone do testing to find Max torque limits but I'll not likely ever do it myself.

Interesting observation.  I guess, given the geometry of the drive belt, that there is plenty of friction there to prevent slippage.  Your experience may explain why the trannys hold up.

• Like 2

Tractorhead

Hey Eric, 

i had a Site from Optibelt with a calculation example.

but that site is just in German and i don‘t find the english reference.

May a Visit at the Homepage of Optibelt help you out, 

where they offer Standart, small Belts with 9mm core for Loads until 7,5 KW,

and up to 180KW, depending of Space and count of Belts.

https://www.optibelt.com/us/divisions/power-transmission/v-belts/

here you can find a lot of Info‘s, all about Belts and Pulley‘s.

i doub‘t your weakpoint will be the Belt itself or the Tyres.

This issue can be solved by ratio between motor pulley and gearbox pulley.

less speed is more force, that simple.

i guess your most common problem will may be, bring the Traction to the ground on Slope.

Belts mostly can handle more Power, then they seems to.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

PeacemakerJack
4 hours ago, Achto said:

Haaaay!! I just might resemble that remark.:lol:

Me too!:ph34r:

Guilty as charged!

3 hours ago, Macwrench said:

You know, the limiting factor may be the belt drive.  I bet the belt would slip and burn up before the tranny broke...

🤔🤔🤔

That used to be my thought too! Coming from the Cub Cadet community, I often heard the shaft drive argument...

HOWEVER—my experience with GhostRider has led me to believe much of that is sour grapes and/or misinformation. With GOOD pulleys (sheaves) a GOOD belt, it has been my experience that you will lose traction, stand the tractor vertical, or snap something in the tranny before the belt slips.

I have plowed with mine where the front end was off the ground and it was clawing for traction and the belt was fine.  If the belt is badly worn or the tensioner is...all bets are off.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Macwrench
2 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

🤔🤔🤔

That used to be my thought too! Coming from the Cub Cadet community, I often heard the shaft drive argument...

HOWEVER—my experience with GhostRider has led me to believe much of that is sour grapes and/or misinformation. With GOOD pulleys (sheaves) a GOOD belt, it has been my experience that you will lose traction, stand the tractor vertical, or snap something in the tranny before the belt slips.

Yeah, I think you're right.  Those drive belts probably have 75% contact with the belt, and with everything in pretty good shape it should not slip.  Been searching tensile strength of v-belts in the 1/2" range, but can't find anything.  Found one chart with materials like natural rubber in a belt is 500-3500 lbf / in2, and fiberglass is like 350,000 lbf/ in2.  Sounds like the belt will slip before it breaks.

• Like 4

ZXT
9 hours ago, Macwrench said:

You know, the limiting factor may be the belt drive.  I bet the belt would slip and burn up before the tranny broke.  I see the videos of dual wheels, and pulling, and I wonder what's the weak link.  I also worry about the housing faces moving around against each other.  Oh well, just thinking out loud.

I also thought the same thing when I got into WH's. To test this, I pulled a few dead cars around with my GT-14. The tractor itself didn't have a problem with it - the original turf savers however did. If I had a set of ags and wheel weights I don't think I would've had an issue. The belt didn't seem to have an issue with pulling 4k pounds!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

tom2p
1 hour ago, ZXT said:

I also thought the same thing when I got into WH's. To test this, I pulled a few dead cars around with my GT-14. The tractor itself didn't have a problem with it - the original turf savers however did. If I had a set of ags and wheel weights I don't think I would've had an issue. The belt didn't seem to have an issue with pulling 4k pounds!

years ago my car died on my parents driveway ... slight uphill part ...

car was blocking entrance and exit to the garage so had to move it immediately ...

I towed the car - 3600 lb car - slight uphill - with a 1964 704 

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

troutbum70

If I can ever find the picture of my father pulling my one semi less trailer with my 417-8 up into my driveway with about a 5 percent grade, truck probably weight right around 9 ton. Anyway if I can ever find it I will share it. Anything I ever tried that was unreasonable for the 417 the first to happen was always lost traction. 

• Like 4

Lee1977

Eric good buddy. Awhile back you were building a tractor, that got put off because Trina was painting the house, Then it was you were building a wood shed, Last I heard you were buying a tractor with out house included. Just what is going on? I think we were promised wood shed pictures, haven't seen any. A year or so ago you tried to show us you were working with 3 shelves of stone. Get it in gear son we need to know what your doing.

Lee1977

• Haha 4

ebinmaine
18 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

Eric good buddy. Awhile back you were building a tractor, that got put off because Trina was painting the house, Then it was you were building a wood shed, Last I heard you were buying a tractor with out house included. Just what is going on? I think we were promised wood shed pictures, haven't seen any. A year or so ago you tried to show us you were working with 3 shelves of stone. Get it in gear son we need to know what your doing.

Lee1977

Hahahahahaha

I have no defense.

Actually, you need to know what TRINA IS DOING.

I am going to get the outhouse / tractor tomorrow with @JCM Jim.

I'll have pics of that in another thread.

I took some pictures of the wood shed frame but I didn't like the darkness. I'll share those this weekend.

Really, I'll have Trina take decent pictures.

I promise to get on the ball and ask Trina if we can work on the tractor.

:ROTF:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lee1977

I'm glad to see you are getting Trina another project.  Save the out house you can store Wheel Horse parts in it.  

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 2