ebinmaine

The "Colossus" project

Stormin

Now we're seeing something. :thumbs:

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Stormin said:

Now we're seeing something. :thumbs:

Still plenty to do 'round here as always but we should be able to focus a little more on it now. 

• Like 3

Oldskool

@ebinmaine Eric now that the steering is together how do you think the turning will be compared to a stock tractor?

• Like 2

ebinmaine
15 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

@ebinmaine Eric now that the steering is together how do you think the turning will be compared to a stock tractor?

We moved it from it's build position to get closer to the door last night. 

The wheels do turn a healthy degree from straight. The entire fan gear is well used lock to lock. 

It's looonngg compared to a stock tractor. 

I had to "double back" twice to clear the couch and I can do that in one swing with a short frame. 

I don't know what the actual full turning circle is yet. 

It'll be fine for the forest paths but there are some corners that will need trimming of the surrounding trees. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Gregor

Maybe you have mentioned this before, but what is the wheel base? Rear axle to spindle centers ?

• Like 1

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, Gregor said:

Maybe you have mentioned this before, but what is the wheel base? Rear axle to spindle centers ?

Just over 54"

By comparison a stock 1974 C160 is 45.5". 

Edited by ebinmaine
  • Like 1

Maxwell-8
9 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Good lord, colossus, sure is not gone steal it's name! What a big WH! And done properly. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine

The total length measurement end-to-end from front of front tire to back of back tire is 20 + inches longer than a stock 74 C-160

• Like 1

Gregor

You putting an inline 6 banger in that thing? :scared-eek:

• Haha 2

Lee1977
10 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Bonus pic by The Photography Department. 

IMG_20211112_214948.jpg

Now you need to get a 3/4" sleeve and extend the steering column about 6".. That would put it up about elbow height.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
27 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

Now you need to get a 3/4" sleeve and extend the steering column about 6".. That would put it up about elbow height.

That's just about what I'm thinking too. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Gregor said:

You putting an inline 6 banger in that thing? :scared-eek:

Hehehehe. 

Much as I'd love that... I think the K582 will do ok. 

• Like 1

AMC RULES

• Excellent 7

Gregor

As Malcom Forbes once said, "The only difference between men and boys..................

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Seems like a good place to put this:

Now I s'pose I need a hood. 

:ROTF:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine

Got these today. 

3/4" bore. 3/4"  fine threads. 

I'm figuring on using them as steering shaft supports. 

IMG_20211122_164310111.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Oldskool
13 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Now I s'pose I need a hood. 

:ROTF:

Yes I guess you do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maxwell-8
8 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Got these today. 

3/4" bore. 3/4"  fine threads. 

I'm figuring on using them as steering shaft supports. 

Good thing you are enforcing the front-end to accommodate for the 187lbs beast of a Kohler K582.

• Like 2

bds1984

Perhaps this has been asked before, Eric, but have you thought about using the gear reduction setup from a 520H?  I think it would aid in reducing steering effort and decreasing your Titanic turning radius.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, bds1984 said:

Perhaps this has been asked before, Eric, but have you thought about using the gear reduction setup from a 520H?  I think it would aid in reducing steering effort and decreasing your Titanic turning radius.

Can't remember if it's been brought up in this thread or not either but I've certainly processed the thought more than once.

:lol:

The reason I didn't go that direction is simply because of cost.

I haven't been able to find the steering setup for less than $250 to $350. 

I will have a 30% advantage in leverage because the "steering wheel"  I'm using is substantially larger. 

It's still going to give me a heck of a workout without any sort of gear reduction. 

• Like 1

Maxwell-8
27 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Can't remember if it's been brought up in this thread or not either but I've certainly processed the thought more than once.

I will have a 30% advantage in leverage because the "steering wheel"  I'm using is substantially larger. 

It's still going to give me a heck of a workout without any sort of gear reduction. 

And the weight will be noticeable.  When I put that Lombardini engine (about same weight) on the chassis, steering got a lot worse... 

I see you have 3 ribs tires on the front, they will help out for sure. maybe a bit higher pressure in them and add in the bigger steering wheel. You will be golden. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

ebinmaine
39 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

weight will be noticeable

Absolutely agree with that.

I've had the Mckissick chipper on and off my C160 several times. Quite a huge difference. The size and weight of that is probably comparable to what I'll be doing with this tractor.

41 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

3 ribs tires on the front, they will help out for sure. maybe a bit higher pressure in them and add in the bigger steering wheel. You will be golden

That will certainly be a positive in my favor. Not sure if it will be enough though....

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Maxwell-8
8 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Absolutely agree with that.

I've had the Mckissick chipper on and off my C160 several times. Quite a huge difference. The size and weight of that is probably comparable to what I'll be doing with this tractor.

That will certainly be a positive in my favor. Not sure if it will be enough though....

I will be able to tell you a soon as I installed my lombardini. probably in the upcoming week or two!:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

bds1984
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I think I bought mine for $300 back in early 2015.  Yes it was pricey, but worth the investment.  Every time I found a 520 for sale cheap, it was either a straight axle model or missing the hub or wheel; never complete.  I'm kinda on the hunt for one right now so I can convert my straight axle 520 over to the gear reduction setup but it is cost prohibitive at the moment.  It is difficult to go back to a regular system after spoiling yourself with it as it really is close to a power steering feel. 

• Like 3

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, bds1984 said:

power steering

Absolutely understandable.

I've always had a great preference towards a firm feel steering system, so to speak.

Even with a 21 or 22 inch steering wheel I think a 1:1 ratio from the upper to lower steering shafts might be just a tad past, firm. 😂

• Like 1