ebinmaine

The "Colossus" project

WVHillbilly520H
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Well now that's a whole different game of physics there. 

Hard surface, ultra fast machine, big engine, very little steering to be done. 

:lol:

But also most amount of rubber in contact for "bite"... Your set may better be explained as a narrower tire has better traction in less than ideal snow/muddy conditions where you would rather not float on said surface but "dig" into it :eusa-think: ... A tiny technical aspect vs a blanket statement ... Now back to regularly scheduled programming... 😉

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

lynnmor

My Dad always filled a feeder with corn way up a mountain after hunting season.  Often the road became impassible with deep snow and he would turn to a great mountain man with a skinny tired army jeep, that thing would climb the mountain pushing snow the whole way.  Pounds per square inch is the answer.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

tom2p
11 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

But also most amount of rubber in contact for "bite"... Your set may better be explained as a narrower tire has better traction in less than ideal snow/muddy conditions where you would rather not float on said surface but "dig" into it :eusa-think: ... A tiny technical aspect vs a blanket statement ... Now back to regularly scheduled programming... 😉

I've read and heard a skinnier tire can deliver better traction in mud or snow or whatever 

but in my personal experience and observations - the wider tire always delivered better traction (given same parameters/variables)

motorcycles, 3 wheelers, quads, dune buggies, trucks, tractors 

( did I miss anything ?  lol )

do snowmobile tracks count ? 

WVHillbilly520H
41 minutes ago, tom2p said:

I've read and heard a skinnier tire can deliver better traction in mud or snow or whatever 

but in my personal experience and observations - the wider tire always delivered better traction (given same parameters/variables)

motorcycles, 3 wheelers, quads, dune buggies, trucks, tractors 

( did I miss anything ?  lol )

do snowmobile tracks count ? 

That may come down to actual tread design and depth more than narrow vs wide... Rice paddy tires are narrow and deep lugs flotation tires are normally wide and minimal lug depth there are so many variables I believe in the end in ends up being personal experiences... For instance 23x10.50s Turfs or AGs turning sod everything else being the same the AGs most likely win that battle or even mowing slopes but most here would say (excluding myself) plowing snow the turfs win (if chained up)... Its the classic battle and one that may never be won... I was just busting Eric's chops as his Cinnamon Horse rides on the wider is better and now Collosus is going skinny... BTW @ebinmaine maybe Collosus will look much like this orange ride?

Screenshot_20201123-191730.png

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Those big wheel Case are certainly one of the inspirations. 

:lol:

DennisThornton
31 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

That may come down to actual tread design and depth more than narrow vs wide... Rice paddy tires are narrow and deep lugs flotation tires are normally wide and minimal lug depth there are so many variables I believe in the end in ends up being personal experiences... For instance 23x10.50s Turfs or AGs turning sod everything else being the same the AGs most likely win that battle or even mowing slopes but most here would say (excluding myself) plowing snow the turfs win (if chained up)... Its the classic battle and one that may never be won... I was just busting Eric's chops as his Cinnamon Horse rides on the wider is better and now Collosus is going skinny... BTW @ebinmaine maybe Collosus will look much like this orange ride?

Screenshot_20201123-191730.png

I had an old GMC PU with REALLY wide tires and it was absolutely worthless in the snow!  I think it takes several PSI on the snow to pack it down to get something strong enough to sink some teeth into to get traction.  Otherwise it just slips through the loose pack.

Almost bought a Case 444 last month.  If it had the original hood I would have.

• Like 1

Pullstart

Hey EB.  True story.  I dreamed that Colossus was complete!  It was weird... waking up going “did I really see that?”

• Haha 7

SylvanLakeWH
28 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Hey EB.  True story.  I dreamed that Colossus was complete!  It was weird... waking up going “did I really see that?”

Hahahahahahahah.... :ROTF:

Thats a good one!!! :handgestures-thumbupright:

You eat some mushrooms out in the tree stand???? :dance:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

1 hour ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Hahahahahahahah.... :ROTF:

Thats a good one!!! :handgestures-thumbupright:

You eat some mushrooms out in the tree stand???? :dance:

We're headed the right direction boys!

I dropped off the tires and wheels to get filled today.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1

WHNJ701
23 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

I had an old GMC PU with REALLY wide tires and it was absolutely worthless in the snow!  I think it takes several PSI on the snow to pack it down to get something strong enough to sink some teeth into to get traction.  Otherwise it just slips through the loose pack.

Almost bought a Case 444 last month.  If it had the original hood I would have.

The hood in the picture looks correct?

DennisThornton
1 minute ago, jabelman said:

The hood in the picture looks correct?

Absolutely!  But not on the one I was looking at.  Someone had bent up some sheet metal to form somethijng that worked, but...

WHNJ701
Just now, DennisThornton said:

Absolutely!  But not on the one I was looking at.  Someone had bent up some sheet metal to form somethijng that worked, but...

My bad I thought that was the picture you looking at.  Those old case tractors are tanks if you get a chance to own one you will definitely love it.

DennisThornton
3 minutes ago, jabelman said:

My bad I thought that was the picture you looking at.  Those old case tractors are tanks if you get a chance to own one you will definitely love it.

Been after a Case 444, bigger or newer for 10-15 years at a price I could justify.  Just recently I find one 90 minutes from home with my pickup already full at a price I could afford (had cash on me!) but it had NO deck, no attachments and without the original hood.

I'm still looking!  I'm concerned about attachments though...

SylvanLakeWH
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

I dropped off the tires and wheels to get filled today.

Just thinking... :eusa-think:

If you sourced that piece work to The Paint Department you could save transportation costs, increase quality, speed up delivery and add numerous additional documenting posts to this thread... :hide:

:dance:

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
19 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Just thinking... :eusa-think:

If you sourced that piece work to The Paint Department you could save transportation costs, increase quality, speed up delivery and add numerous additional documenting posts to this thread... :hide:

:dance:

We've had board meetings and after much discussion the decision was made that the initial investment of buying all the pumping equipment and transportation of the fluid (which I'd to buy at the same place and price) would not be worthwhile. 

Seriously though.... I paid LESS per gallon than RV antifreeze or washer fluid AND they pump in!!

Mileage is identical as mentioned above. 

Definitely the way to go. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine

Well then.....

IMG_20201125_144515399.jpg.c35ef4b2b78ac30720a01443b8e814ea.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

Oldskool
5 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Well then.....

IMG_20201125_144515399.jpg.c35ef4b2b78ac30720a01443b8e814ea.jpg

Well well then. Lookin good

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Well well then. Lookin good

Agreed, and thank you.

Should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 190 lb of fluid in those 4 tires. 

The fronts took about two gallons each. Not a lot of added weight there of course but I really like having fluid-filled tires and not needing to worry about checking the air pressure at all. 

The rears were about 7 gallons each.

Should certainly help with Forest traction. 

• Like 2

Oldskool
Just now, ebinmaine said:

Agreed, and thank you.

Should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 190 lb of fluid in those 4 tires. 

190lbs is a good addition of weight. Your are still wheel weight capable?

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Oldskool said:

190lbs is a good addition of weight. Your are still wheel weight capable?

All four of these wheels are trailer wheels. Two fronts I bought online and the two rears were from an old camper trailer.

I believe with careful measurements I could drill and square file the appropriate holes to mount steel weights but I probably won't.

I have no way of measuring it other than an educated guess but I think the front end is going to be around 90 to 100 lb per tire heavier than standard.

The difference in the rear should be fairly close to that as well. 

Mid-70s C series with an eight-speed were about 575 lb. I haven't finalized the design on this one but I'm sure it's going to be 950 plus.....

This here Bear 🐻 will add a fair pile more to the ballast in the back as well. 

Oldskool

That is some extra weight for sure. I know my GT is a bit soggy and I think it's in the 850 875 range. When/IF you get stuck you will have a job on your hands

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Oldskool said:

. When/IF you get stuck you will have a job on your hands

Lucky for me there's only a couple spots out in the forest where I have potential to be caught up in the muck. 

I wouldn't exactly look forward to getting it stuck but all it would be is a little bit time-consuming because I'd have to go get my hand winch and maybe another tractor. My land is right full of trees so there's always something to tie off to.

• Like 1

pfrederi

Did you ever get the Ferguson TO-20 that would pull it out

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Did you ever get the Ferguson TO-20 that would pull it out

Yessir I do have it. That won't go out in the woods though. Maybe later in the future if we build a bigger bridge. 

Stormin

Just in case you may get stuck, Eric, how about mounting a small ATV winch on Colossus's bow? Could be used for other applications as well.

• Like 1